Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SA loaded 9MM lead time?

Kyreb

Greetings and Merry Christmas to all you blasters out there!

I am making the leap to a 9mm 1911 for IDPA. I have always been a big fan of SA so that is the route I am going. Plan on just getting a trigger job done and then running with this model as is.

Now I must admit, I am feeling like Ralphie in the bb gun movie, can't wait to get my hands on it. (on second thought....Wonder if I can fit a compass in the stocks?) :D

The SA sales department quoted 60-90 days. My FFL says the distributors are not that optomistic. Anybody out there have any recent experience on ordering one of these? If so, how long did it take? How do you like it? What mags are you running? Metalforms?

Edited by Kyreb

FWIW I would much rather have a Kimber 9mm. I have worked on many SA and Kimber guns. Not knocking anyone's gun, but the Kimbers are just fitted better. I am yet to see a SA 9mm that was very accurate. Most require a new barrel. I am yet to see an inaccurate 9mm Kimber. Mine shoots under 1 1/2" at 25 yds with several loads. The best go into 1".

I love my SA 9 mm 1911 and feel it's a great value. I shot it for a couple years in IDPA as an ESP gun (look in the center of my avitar) It's betwen a Trophy Match .45 and a 9mm Ultra Compact model.

My SA runs (by far) better with SA mags............ 9 mm 1911s can be tempremental... especially with the use of reloads.. OAL can be a big issue. There are 100 threads on that on this forum.

I tried every other brand of mag. and was not happy with the results.

If I had to "sell my safe"................ The SA 9 mm 1911 would be one of the last to go.

You made a great choice IMO.

Edited by MichiganShootist

I have a bone stock SA Loaded that will do 1 1/2 inches at 25 all day with my lead reloads. I would not take twice what I paid for it. I have 3 SA mags that work great and 12 Kimber mags that work just as good as the SA mags. OAL is very critical for proper reliability.

I recently bought one and reviewed it here:

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=49&t=48523

Fresh out of the box:

sa02.jpg

After some much-needed changes:

sa9mm-new.jpg

The first thing I did was tweak the middle leg of the sear spring, which took about 1.5 lbs off the trigger pull.

It was gauging 6 pounds, now it's around 4.5 or so. Too much creep to be really nice,

and I think the overtravel screw is in a smidge too far.

I also tweaked the extractor so that it would actually apply tension to the round.

At the range, the gun seemed accurate enough but I had too many stovepipes. The brass was also ejecting in an erratic pattern.

After putting about 300 rounds through it, I made more changes:

I believe the gun was oversprung with the 28lb mainspring, so I replaced it with a 19lb mainspring, and replaced the ILS with a S&A magwell MSH.

I also fitted an EGW oversized FP stop to reduce the clocking, and knocked a few sharp edges off the extractor hook.

I replaced the front sight with a Dawson .100" wide, and put in a GI recoil spring guide and plug. The slide stop was also failing to engage on at least one mag, so I put in a lighter plunger spring.

I'm not particularly impressed with the Springfield mags, so I bought some Mec-gar replacements that seem to work flawlessly.

The sear had no relief angle at all, so I added one which reduced the creep substantially. I also did some polishing on the fire control parts, and broke all the sharp edges on the gun. I put on a set of VZ flat bottom grips so it wouldn't look dumb with the factory grips and magwell.

The only thing I don't really like about the SA's are the sharp edges and especially the radius of the frame to trigger guard angle. Kimbers have that high cut that I prefer. I have a couple of friends who recently bought STI Trojans which, so far run well. I just hate the cocking serrations and roll marks on STI's. If I were buying any SA 1911 I think I'd have to budget in a high cut and checkering of the front strap and knocking off all the sharp edges. With a Kimber, I'd only have to have the checkering done as the other two are stock features.

You'll love shooting a 9mm 1911. There's so little recoil you feel like you're cheating. :P

I have a SA Loaded 9mm and I love it.

I sent it to Rich at Canyon Creek. He dove tailed in a fiber optic front sight, checkered the front strap, cut the corners off of the rear sight, did a trigger job (sub 2lbs)and replaced the trigger assembly with the SV style trigger.

I have 6 Chip McCormick 10 round .38 Super mags that work great everytime and I also have 6 Metalform 9mm mags that work great.

I shoot re-loads in and it works all the time.

It's my favorite gun of anything I have.

Good Luck

I picked up a STI trojan off this board some time back. For me it wasn't locking back reliably, STI bent over backwards helping me fit it, and then I was actually in Austin and dropped it into their shop where they did a one day turnaround (it was a short trip to TX).

Awesome firearm, but even better service.

To the original poster, I'd humbly submit you consider one of the trojans. If I knew anything about SA's in 9mm I'd comment on the actual topic :P

But I do have a very reliable 1911 from SA!

Support those that support us...yeah I know I've said it a million times. SA and STI support us...when was the last time you saw a Kimber on a prize table or sponsoring a stage?

Anyway, I'm a SA fan and I have a 9mm 1911 from them and use SA/Metalform mags with the front ramp or something like that and with reloads or factory it runs great. I can't respond on the trigger as it was tweaked before I got it but other than that I haven't had a problem with it and would strongly suggest it or a STI.

STI, SA, or even Kimber there are bad apples out there and when you deviate from the standard .45 or even 38 super in 1911 things can pop up. Kimber's breechface is the same for 40 and 9mm as well and I don't like that much either, don't know if it will cause a problem just don't like it.

Any stocker 1911 could use a better fit barrel but typically a new fit bushing would help tons if the gun is inaccurate though.

Edited by steel1212

Trigger pull on a stock gun is not important. A competent gunsmith can get you a sub 3 lb. pull for $50. The .40/10mm breech face that Kimber uses is a plus, not a minus. I am yet to see a Kimber that did not have a good barrel to slide fit. I am yet to see a SA that had a good barrel to slide fit. Not picking sides here - just what I have seen.

The Kimbers have a Swartz safety. Not a big deal to fix that. Requires a new 70 Series FP. $5 at most gun shows. The SA will require a new FP and main spring. Not a big issue either.

If in doubt about the lack of barrel fit with a SA just mark with a Sharpie the upper barrel lug cuts. Hand cycle the slide a few times and see if there is a mark where the barrel contacts the slide. A properly fitted barrel will show contact at this point with the slide when in battery.

My SA 9mm 1911 as been reliable from day one with factory and reloads. Even 130gr. SWC that I got from Masterblaster. I use the same O.A.L. that I use for my CZ, just keeps it simple. I don't have any "special" guns in my box. When I got it it shot 5-6" high at 25 yrds. I called SA to ask what front sight I should use to correct it. They said to send it in and they would fix it and reimbuse my postage. They did everything they said they would. They replaced the barrel and bushing, drifted the sights and sent me a check for $50. They included a test target with a 1.5" group shot with 115gr. Federal. The gun now shoots to P.O.A. In my opinion, the SA 9mm 1911 is a fine gun and Springfield stands behind it.

Trigger pull on a stock gun is not important. A competent gunsmith can get you a sub 3 lb. pull for $50. The .40/10mm breech face that Kimber uses is a plus, not a minus. I am yet to see a Kimber that did not have a good barrel to slide fit. I am yet to see a SA that had a good barrel to slide fit. Not picking sides here - just what I have seen.

The Kimbers have a Swartz safety. Not a big deal to fix that. Requires a new 70 Series FP. $5 at most gun shows. The SA will require a new FP and main spring. Not a big issue either.

If in doubt about the lack of barrel fit with a SA just mark with a Sharpie the upper barrel lug cuts. Hand cycle the slide a few times and see if there is a mark where the barrel contacts the slide. A properly fitted barrel will show contact at this point with the slide when in battery.

I know what a properly fit barrel looks, feels like, I have 5 stock SA 1911s from a milspec micro up to a TRP and all of them have decently fit barrels. I don't know about you but if I'm buying a 9mm I want a 9mm breach face not a cost cutting .40 breach face. And yes you are picking sides, you've had good luck with Kimbers and evidentally bad luck with SA I have had nothing but good luck with SA and won't use Kimbers lol. In the end to each their own :cheers:

I don't know about you but if I'm buying a 9mm I want a 9mm breach face not a cost cutting .40 breach face.

The .40 breech face may have saved them money but it cost me $50 to have George at EGW weld mine up and recut to 9mm. I really like my little Kimber but that breech face thing really ticks me off that they didn't do it right to start with. The gun would only choke on rare occasions like at the Nationals or a regional match. :angry2:

Since I had it welded up it runs as close to 100% as any gun can, it made an absolute improvement to it's function. I have had George weld up 4 Kimber slides for me. For me the only thing plus about the .40 breech on a 9mm is that I am very good at malfunction clearance now. Some people like being able to just throw a .40 barrel in a Kimber 9 and have it work, I would rather have it made to fit the 9mm properly. I love my Kimber, hate their lame breech face.

Edited by Gregg K

5.00 here..50.00 here..25.00 here 100.00 here....i just bought a used Baer 9mm ,glass feeling slide to frame fit..goes bang and cut out all the extra $$$ spent to get it to run.... :cheers:

post-4535-1197387198.jpg

Edited by GmanCdp

5.00 here..50.00 here..25.00 here 100.00 here....i just bought a used Baer 9mm ,glass feeling slide to frame fit..goes bang and cut out all the extra $$$ spent to get it to run.... :cheers:

Hey! No fair taking shortcuts. Whatever happened to half the fun is in the journey getting there? :cheers:

I will give you $500 for it. Hmmmm, that puts you in ESP. Beware of my Kimber .45 ESP gun. Makes a lot bigger hole than those puny limp wrist 9mms. A 230 gr bullet at 550 fps is a real eye opener!!!!!

Edited by Joe D

Hey! No fair taking shortcuts. Whatever happened to half the fun is in the journey getting there? :cheers:

Dude...i just turned 50 3 weeks ago....not much time left.... :cheers: got to go with the fastest fix....

JoeD....you shootin a 1911 is just folk lore....i know your personel pin # to your ATM account is GLOCK...

however...just the little amount of time i've shot this 1911 9mm...it is truely a gamer gun in anybody's hand...

Edited by GmanCdp

Lots of threads (like this one) are infested with posters who like to take apart and put back together perfectly fine pieces of work man ship.

Why????????????

Because they can.................. and that is generally the only reason.

Hey---buy some Lincoln Logs or Tinker Toys and have a ball.

It's the driver guys... not the .00025 pound reduction in the trigger pull that makes the difference.

I watched Robbie L. make a one hole group in a target (at a inhumanly fast pace) out at about 7 yards... with a pistol which had a terrible, rough, creepy, long, 6 pound pull.... and pretty trerrible sights.

The Springer 9 mm unit is a great value ... which in the hands of a good shooter..... needs VERY little (if any) rebuilding.

Nuff Said !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited to add.... BTW 9 mm Springers are often on the Gunsamerica www site ... so why wait?

Edited by MichiganShootist

Lots of threads (like this one) are infested with posters who like to take apart and put back together perfectly fine pieces of work man ship.

Why????????????

Because they can.................. and that is generally the only reason.

Who the hell wants to shoot a gun that has a crappy trigger, smacks you with brass when it's not stovepiping, and has a slide that you can shave with?

I couldn't post many photos here, but if you read my ar15.com post, you'd see some "workmanship" that Springfield should have never let out of the front door.

Extractor tension? It's overrated.

sa14.jpg

People talk about Colt's QC but the bottom of this ejection port makes even my sickest Colt look good.

sa06.jpg

Certainly Robbie and many others can whip my ass on any COF with any piece of garbage that will sling lead, but you can also bet that the guns that they practice and compete with are set up EXACTLY how they like them. If I had shoot to matches with an unmodified Remington Rand '44 or Springfield GI, I'd rather be doing something else.

Edited by Ken Mays