Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SA loaded 9MM lead time?

Kyreb

Thanks to all for the great input...both pro and con. It is much appreciated.

For what it is worth, I plan to go through with the order for the SA. I have however, touched base with Ed Vandenberg here in the Houston area to work his magic on it once it arrives.

My first IPSC .45 was SA bought in the late 1980s and it is my current IDPA blaster today. I am a big fan of SA.

Kudos to those who support those who support our sport.(s) SA was a big sponsor of USPSA back in my early days. They always stepped up with guns and gear for the prize table at the KY State matches held at Ashland Gun Club. I firmly believe that without their support in the early years action pistol shooting would not be the sport it is today.

Likewise, Ed Vandenberg supports all the major matches as a sponsor at my current club, PSC here in the Houston area.

Thanks again! Rick

Certainly Robbie and many others can whip my ass on any COF with any piece of garbage that will sling lead, but you can also bet that the guns that they practice and compete with are set up EXACTLY how they like them. If I had shoot to matches with an unmodified Remington Rand '44 or Springfield GI, I'd rather be doing something else.

I've always loved what Brian Enos had to say on the topic: "It may be the Indian and not the arrow....but who wants a crappy bow?"

I would never buy a gun from a manufacturer just because "they support our sport" if I liked another gun better. That logic does not compute. If memory serves me correctly Kimber has a full page ad on the back of every issue of Front Sight. I don't think they get that for free.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently checked out a Kimber in 9mm and a SA loaded in .45 acp at a gun show. Both were on the same table.

In my opinion, fit was pretty much equal. I liked the finish and the grips on the SA much better. I am going to stick with my choice...the SA.

I would never buy a gun from a manufacturer just because "they support our sport" if I liked another gun better. That logic does not compute. If memory serves me correctly Kimber has a full page ad on the back of every issue of Front Sight. I don't think they get that for free.

I'll give you that Kimbers buys plenty of ads in gun mags, but is that designed to support our sports or more to increase their sales operation?

Personally, I have never seen a Kimber on a prize table at a match. I have seen SA donate dozens of guns over the years. They used to give us at least a half dozen 1911s for our prize table at AGC for the KY State Matches we held back in the day. Their donations meant a lot to those of us trying to get clubs and major (local) matches off the ground.

I remember that, appreciate it, and will continue to be loyal to SA.

• 4 weeks later...
5.00 here..50.00 here..25.00 here 100.00 here....i just bought a used Baer 9mm ,glass feeling slide to frame fit..goes bang and cut out all the extra $$$ spent to get it to run.... :cheers:

Gmancdp - gald to see the 9mm Baer getting some good use!! I tell ya, it is more money to begin with, but it is as close to perfection as I have come accross. It was truly an 'occasion' when there was a malfunction. It did have a 1.5" test target too. But not at 25 yds. At 50!!

It's only shortfall (for me) was that it lacked a cylinder.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I gave it my best shot. I do not have a SA 9mm 1911 yet. My FFL's distributors advise they have had these 9mms on backorder since August. My FFL talked to SA reps at SHOT and could not get any straight answers regarding when these might be available.

So, I am disappointed, but it is time for plan B.

Ordered a Caspian slide and receiver yesterday. I am going to have Ed Vanden Berg build me one from the ground up. Figure I will get exactly what I want that way anyhow.

Now your cooking! A custom is the way to go if you can afford it. You will have it just like you like it.

I didn't weigh in on the Kimber/Springfield argument before, but I will now. I had two NIB loaded Springfields that wouldn't shoot a magazine full without a stoppage. Sent back to Springfield by my dealer.....same thing when they returned. I bought the Kimber Target II and it hasn't looked back. It has been run hard and it keeps on performing.

I have a EGW Custom Springfield 9x23/9 mm and it is a great gun. But it ain't stock by any stretch of the imagination.

I love Les Baer pistols (I have 3 in .45) and if I ever buy a another 9 mm 1911...IT WILL BE A BAER!

Good Luck.

Buddy

Yeah, I am getting pumped up. It has been 10 years since I had a custom build done on my Para .40 Limited gun. I ordered all the parts and pieces yesterday. Looking forward to getting this one built!

Sounds like a good plan.

Curious if you considered an STI? Pretty good guns, close to custom imo. Don't know how much you'll have into your caspian? Anyways, they certainly support the sport.

Looked them over, seriously considered ordering one from Dawson, then decided I wanted something really special. Personally, I have never really warmed up to the looks of STI guns myself.

Anyway, I had a sizeable credit from Midway on a green laser unit I had returned, plus my FFL "owed" me as he had talked me out of my G34 in trade for the SA that never materialized.

Finally, I have been fondling the 1911s Ed Vanden Berg brings to the big gun shows down here. Man, he does nice work! Ed always donates a gun or two to the Space City Challenge match here in Houston too.

Suddenly, I had the ducks in a row to buy the parts and pieces and go the custom route. Rick

Edited by Kyreb