Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have a lot of data like that on hand for the CPL classes I teach to those interested in "personal" carry here in MI.

She would have been much better off with a .22...... The .25 is the lowest rated pistol caliber in the FBI trials and shooting numbers..... plus the 25 ammo will cost her 3--- 5 times what the .22 would cost

Here's the poop .25 vs. .22 lr

.25 cal average weight 50 grains--- average speed 710 fps ---average energy 56 foot pounds---- average stopping power with one shot 22%

.22 average weight 37 grains ---average speed 1,000 ---average energy 112 foot poundws ---average stopping power with one shot 27% (The hyper velocity and ultra fast heavier .22s would obviously rank even higher)

The stopping power is the percentage of shootings from the FBIs report that are over after one shot...... The .45 ACP is 90%.....

The .25 is clearly a LMG caliber..... which means if the BG has ahold of you... you put it in his stomach and yell Let Me Go as you repeatedly pull the trigger.

Edit to add--- I see a few of these guns in classes and another issue is that they are very prone to failures to feed. Probably due to the tiny cheap mags, and short lead bullets. They are the last pistol I would want to use for defense.

Edited by MichiganShootist

The one advantage to a .25 over the .22 is the reliability of centerfire ammo. If I were going to use one for carry it would be loaded with FMJ ammo only, the round is so underpowered it needs all the help it can get penetrating anything. I have a Berreta .25, it holds 9 rds. is quite accurate for a pocket gun, and is also 100% reliable. Even so I only carry it when I can't carry a gun. I would recomend your sister to get a bigger gun. On the flip side I had a friend shot and killed with a .25 with one shot, so I would never say they are totally useless, I just wouldn't want to bet my life on one on a regular basis.

JMHO, Robin

Me too Jay... but the S & W 40... is a wee bit higher at 94%......

But those are averages and if you look at only "events" where premium ammo was used the .45 is almost 100%... I like the Winchester 230 grain STx JHPs (the hole in the end would have room for a couple .25s.

I agree with Gunsablazin on the FMJs in mouse guns. It improves the reliability and penetration. The .25s I see that won't run are generally Ravens or some other "off" brand (or an ancient colt) loaded with lead round nose bullets .... because they cost the least.

Edited by MichiganShootist

The .25ACP reminds me of a line in Blazing Saddles....you dont want to shoot mongo, you'll just make him angry!!!!

that being said......I've heard that most US factory loads are not much better than .22RF. Hand loading is key to the the 25ACP

The stopping power is the percentage of shootings from the FBIs report that are over after one shot...... The .45 ACP is 90%.....

And that is WHY I carry a .45 :cheers:

Bigger bullets make bigger holes. :closedeyes:

wow I had no idea about the 25. If she would have asked me I would have told her to get a .45xd as I use that one for matches and is a great cheap gun. Shes a weenier and doesn't like loud bangs but if someone was hurting her I don't think she would care. I'll mention to her also to stop buying guns from pawn shops and crack heads. Thanks for all the info you guys really are know it alls. lol thanks :cheers:

Girls have the advantage of carrying a purse, which may allow for a bigger gun.

At least get her a Kel-Tec .380. :) Kel-Tec now has a new slimmer 9mm sort of like the Kahr PM9 .... but obviously much less price than a Kahr.

Hey dude if you knew my sister you would know she don't carry a purse, Know what I mean. :surprise:

HMO,

you should simply tell her that, for personal protection, the choice shall be to carry the smallest/most comfortable gun ... that will still do the job.

The latter part is fundamental, otherwise there is no point in having the first ... ;)

22lr to 380 calibers are 'last-act-of-defiance' pistols. They are to be used when you know the gig is up and you have lost the fight. They provide cops invaluable amounts of DNA evidence of your assailant, and assist in identifying the individual through matching the bullet removed from his body to the mouse gun you shot him with. That is all they are good for. Hell, I've even seen a suicide attempt with a .25 cal go bad. The person shot themselves in the side of the head with the mouse gun at point blank. The bullet impacted the scull and then traveled around the scull under the skin and exited the other side. Result - massive headache, lots of blood, 4 stitches, a prescription for motrin, and a manditory 72 hour observation period with a shrink.

I think things at Heavies house must be a bit off if you know what I mean ;) ! Come on now a 3" barrel on a .25?? I think it is more like a 1.5" a 3" would be like the "Buntline" of .25s :lol:

I guess I should have put my tape measure on the barrel. mabey it is only 1.5. The make is a titan and when I broke it down, well if thats 1.5 well I guess I can't tell what 3 inches looks like. ( I did hold it up to my well never mind)