6" 2011 Limited Guns

dirtypool40

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whats a sight-tracker? Does the barrel have the front sight on it, and not on the slide?

A sight-tracker style gun has a barrel with a raised rib and a slot in the slide that the rib fits in. The front sight is mounted on the rib on the barrel. R,

....the rule book says 500 guns or major components and it's easy enough to document that many 6" sight tracker style barrels have been produced. I'd expect to see something on this pretty soon. I have to talk to Mike next week so I'll ask what the status is. R,

That would make things interesting...

• 2 weeks later...

I must be missing something here. It would seem that a 6" sighttracker gun would be pretty nose heavy. It seems that most people building these nowadays are trying to remove weight from the nose of the gun. Is there an advantage to this barrel over a 6" bushing barrell that would be lighter?

Edited by PatD

Please excuse, but I see a Caspian frame and a Para Mag holding it up...? Or do I need some sleep?

You are very correct. I also have a Para and just happened to use a Para mag for the (admittedly terrible) photoshoot.

:surprise: WOW! these are some awsome guns. I am almost done building my first Caspian 6" sight tracker. I also talked to Mike at Schuemann when I puchased the barrel and it sounds like it's almost a done deal with USPSA.

Ok where are the pic's?

I hope to have some pics soon. I took a break and went to Vegas :cheers: I plan on getting back to work on it this weekend and I'll get some pics of it in the white.

12-12-09.jpg

Today I took possession of my new Limited gun, aka the "Raptor". Matt did an outstanding job! It is really tight and is in need of breaking in. But I could not be more pleased with the results. The trigger averages 2lbs 11oz with 5 "pulls".

I also got 5 mags with the gun which are untuned at the moment. They consist of STI mag bodies, Dawson Precision "SNL" basepads and Bolen springs and followers. Right now they hold 20 rounds reloadable, although they are tight. I have loaded them all to 20 rounds and will let them set for awhile. That is if I can keep from shooting the gun!

Well I took the Raptor out to run it through it's paces and to heat it up and break it in a bit. I also took this opportunity to chrono and shoot some groups.

Function testing was 100% and seem to loosen the gun up a smidge. The barrel lockup was so tight that it was a bit sticky. Now it is a bit smoother. All mags untuned ran 100% also and were plenty "reloadable" at 20 rounds in each. No "salt shaker" affect either. ;) I will be getting an UpLULA though. :blush:

Chronograph results were quite an eye opener. With the same load that chrono'd at 170 power factor in my 5" Trojan, this thing ran in at 195 power factor and had a bit lighter feeling recoil! I am excited to see how it "feels" when I get it down closer to the same power factor range of 170 and using Clays instead of Universal.

Group accuracy was good as well. From a standing freestyle position, I shot 9 A's and 1 C on the first group shooting at a 1/2 sized airsoft IPSC target at 25 yards. So technically that was like shooting a target at 50 yards. The 30 degree temp made my fingers a bit stiff and numb so I am sure that with warmer weather I could produce better groups. Pretty good I think- no sight adjustments necessary obviously! Gotta love it when your 'smith sights in your gun that well. ;)

So now it is back to the reloading bench to work up a good match load. I will be working up loads in both Clays and Universal with a 200gr bullet and Wolf primers at an OAL of 1.180". I am sure the Clays will be the clear winner, but I have a lot of Universal to use up. I am also gonna try out 170gr bullets also, Precision doesn't have a 165gr.

• 3 months later...

I can finally add pics of my new 6" blaster to this great thread!

It's a Jim Anglin build: STI frame, Caspian slide, and 6" Schuemann bushing barrel. Jim did a lot of slide lightening - most of which is apparent on the outside, and some of which is hidden on the inside. Overall weight w/o mag is about 37oz, and it balance right at the center of the trigger guard. As other happy customers have already attested, Jim's workmanship is really incredible.

500840961_NjYCF-X2.jpg

500840983_GUbTi-X2.jpg

Edited by Xfactor

I love this gun. It is one of the best looking guns that I have ever seen. :surprise:

I can finally add pics of my new 6" blaster to this great thread!

It's a Jim Anglin build: STI frame, Caspian slide, and 6" Schuemann bushing barrel. Jim did a lot of slide lightening - most of which is apparent on the outside, and some of which is hidden on the inside. Overall weight w/o mag is about 37oz, and it balance right at the center of the trigger guard. As other happy customers have already attested, Jim's workmanship is really incredible.

500840961_NjYCF-X2.jpg

500840983_GUbTi-X2.jpg

Edited by Carloz