Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MSAR (Microtech) STG-556

vrod2011

These are starting to ship now. Does anyone have any first hand experience with them? Any comments?

I work for one of the distributors who is carrying this rifle and I'm looking for feedback. We should be getting our first ones in today or tomorrow. I've heard they look great, but I'm more concerned about reliability and accuracy.

www.msarinc.com for those who want to check them out.

Handled 1 today. Feels looks and shoots just like the old styer aug. Has the scope on it and overall looks to be well made. Pricey at $2100, but when you compare that the real deals are in the 4k range then it isnt to bad. ! note though the microtech mags work in the styer but the styer mags wont work in the microtech.(or at least the 1 I held.)

They are shipping with a x1.5.

Ours came in yesterday, and they felt very nice. The trigger pull was heavier than I was hoping for. Also, with Microtech being Microtech, they promised us 30 rifles on our opening order and only sent us 10.

I should be getting feedback from some of my customers today. I'll post what I find out.

I put a mag through Sgt Svi's a couple of weeks ago and I thought the same thing Jim did - great CQB rifle. Trigger is what it is, it's surely not a tricked out low mass gizmo, but it went bang every time I pulled the trigger and there's something to be said for that.

Recoil, even for a .223 was very mild. Slight up and right 'push'. At 25 yards we were consistently drilling the upper A zone off hand with no problems at all.

Nice little rifle.

A friend of mine just got one of these. We haven't done any accuracy stuff but the gun functioned fine. The trigger is definetely not match grade but that is probably just how they all are. Dealing with MT is a bit trying. My buddy ordered extra mags that were supposed to be shipped the next day. That was 2 weeks ago and we are 1 state away. Promises, promises

• 11 months later...

Got one the day before the election. Very nice, well built and balances perfectly. It is in Tan. It comes with 1 10 round magazine, but 20, 30 and 42 are available. I guess I will have to start ordering lots of mags now before they are all gone.

It has a 16” barrel, does anyone have a load (223 rem) for a short barrel 223? What powder would work best?

Having gotten one of these, let me suggest that you invest in a " trigger tamer" for it. It is a replacement trigger part that basically reduces the tension on the spring that supplies trigger return force. It reduced the pull weight in mine to a much more manageable level. It also comes with a nice set on instructions on how to slick the trigger up some.

Peter Adams

FY-39604

Having gotten one of these, let me suggest that you invest in a " trigger tamer" for it. It is a replacement trigger part that basically reduces the tension on the spring that supplies trigger return force. It reduced the pull weight in mine to a much more manageable level. It also comes with a nice set on instructions on how to slick the trigger up some.

Peter Adams

FY-39604

Peter's comment is spot on with one I received from a guy on the Sniper Hide Forum. The link is www.triggertamer.com.

Handled and shot both the STG556 and a FS2000 (FNH). Just wanted a bullpup rifle....and I liked the FS2000 better, although the Microtech looks less radical. Trigger on the FS as better, accuracy on both was about the same...adequate. Also the fact mag's are not easily available (STG556)...something to think about in the coming months. If I had to do it over again....I would have bought two nice AR's...unless you just have to have a bullpup.

Like the previous post, I've actually had both. Bought the FS2000 first, about 6 months later got the STG556. Compared the two and ended up selling the STG556 in a week. Both have crappy triggers compared to an AR, and the balance for me at least is just all wrong. Very hard to shoot accurately offhand at any distance, again for me. As was said earlier, the Microtech has unique mags, and they are kinda expensive. At least the FN uses good ole AR mags, but it has a rubber O ring around the mag well and you have to pull them out, they will not drop free. Although I did like the FS2000 better I did end up selling it too about 4 months ago. In retrospect, I think they are a novelty for the consumer, and especially for readers of this forum who more than likely will try them in a match setting (where they will get their butts handed to them by an AR).

IMO, if you are set on getting a short rifle on that configuration then my vote goes to the FS2000. But again, like the guy above me already stated you can get 2 AR's for the same price, or rig out a really nice 3-gun AR with some goodies on it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Peter Adams

FY-39604

Peter's comment is spot on with one I received from a guy on the Sniper Hide Forum. The link is www.triggertamer.com.

Be careful with this modification. Installing it on your MSAR will VOID your factory warranty.

I talked to MSAR directly about this.

If you ever have to send your rifle in for repairs, you'd better remove the T.T. first !!!! ;)

• 10 months later...

I sent my STG-556 back to MSAR for conversion to an E4. I love it. It's a great handling rifle. I've shot it in a couple club-level matches and won with it. It's great for shooting on the move. The only draw back is the trigger. A little clunky, doesn't translate in to good double taps.