Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

slide litening/serrations

tk4

I am having a 2011 sti built for esp. I know that slide litening is illegal. I do not want any rear serrations on the slide, so my thumb does not ride on them, but I was thinking I would have front serrations all the way to the ejection port. Is it possible I would have a problem with this at a major match?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello: I would limit how far you go back. If you go back only about 1" from the slide cut I think you will be OK. I wish IDPA would say your slide could only weight this minimum amount. It would not be bad for USPSA to do the same for single stack. If you have a minimum slide weight and maximum pistol weight then everything would be a standard and take out the guess work. We could also have some really cool legal pistols. Sorry for being so long winded this Monday mourning ;-). Thanks, Eric

Don't you guys think they would have a hard time calling it slide litening if I had the same number of serrations in the front as someone else had with their front and rear serrations combined.

Attracting undue attention is never a good thing to do at an IDPA match :rolleyes: but that aside, why would you want to do that sort of cut? I could see a possibility if you grab the slide from the top near the port your had could block the ejection! Trying to clear a malfunction and bouncing the bad round back into the chamber would not be real cool! And if your are grabbing the slide from underneath, having the hand too far back will just limit the slide motion.

Later,

Chuck

Sometimes logic isnt everything whether a MD has a hard time or not and whether you or I agree or not some MD somewhere will call it lightening cuts. like I said I dont see it being anything other than a personal preference type of thing but IDPA does have it's quircks, especially if you show up with an STI. Not that there is anything wrong or illegal about an STI they just seam to attract extra attention at some IDPA venues.

Sometimes logic isnt everything whether a MD has a hard time or not and whether you or I agree or not some MD somewhere will call it lightening cuts. like I said I dont see it being anything other than a personal preference type of thing but IDPA does have it's quircks, especially if you show up with an STI. Not that there is anything wrong or illegal about an STI they just seam to attract extra attention at some IDPA venues.

:cheers:

Not that there is anything wrong or illegal about an STI they just seam to attract extra attention at some IDPA venues.

Not in their State of origin. STIs and SVIs are extremely common in ESP here in Texas.

I get the mags from IDPA and I see quite a few 2011's on the COF. STI also advertises and I believe sponsors sanctioned events. I don't see why they would turn down a shooter. just bring your 126mm tubes with ya. as far as cuts go, I am a little confused. you dont want rear serrations??? I can understand "pocketed" or panel cuts, but no rear serrations??? If you are goin SV, I would recommend going with a tri-topped and serrated slide w semi panel cuts in the rear and some front serrations of your choice. That will cut the weight down and give you the custom look w/o turning too many heads at the IDPA match, and give you a "practical" advantage when IDPA gets boring and USPSA becomes your only salvation.

I get the mags from IDPA and I see quite a few 2011's on the COF. STI also advertises and I believe sponsors sanctioned events. I don't see why they would turn down a shooter. just bring your 126mm tubes with ya. as far as cuts go, I am a little confused. you dont want rear serrations??? I can understand "pocketed" or panel cuts, but no rear serrations??? If you are goin SV, I would recommend going with a tri-topped and serrated slide w semi panel cuts in the rear and some front serrations of your choice. That will cut the weight down and give you the custom look w/o turning too many heads at the IDPA match, and give you a "practical" advantage when IDPA gets boring and USPSA becomes your only salvation.

I'm not familiar with semi panel cuts. I'm not sure if my gun smith will do them. The reason for no rear serrations is because I don't want my thumb to rub on them and slow the slide. The slide is already on its way from sti, it is the rounded top, bare. I guess I could have it tri topped, will it be worth the expense. This gun will not be used for uspsa, I have a 40 edge for that. It will be a 9mm for idpa, and for practice with cheaper 9mm bullets. Given its intended purpose should I have it tri topped, and please explain the semi panel cuts. Thanks.

A person should be able to build their carry gun slide any way they want. If you limit it to a certain weight everyone could play on a level field. Why can s-v tri top & scallop a slide to lighten it a LOT, but some one else cannot lighten theirs? Set a weight & let people do their's theirway. HATE gray area's.

I'm not familiar with semi panel cuts. I'm not sure if my gun smith will do them. The reason for no rear serrations is because I don't want my thumb to rub on them and slow the slide. The slide is already on its way from sti, it is the rounded top, bare. I guess I could have it tri topped, will it be worth the expense. This gun will not be used for uspsa, I have a 40 edge for that. It will be a 9mm for idpa, and for practice with cheaper 9mm bullets. Given its intended purpose should I have it tri topped, and please explain the semi panel cuts. Thanks.

I seem to remember reading a post somewhere that there was a difference in strength between a slide that was manufactured as a tri top versus one that had been cut from a round top. I'm sure someone here has had experience with that...Benny?

Hello: I see Mr. Benny and I are on the same page using weight to dictate the design of the pistol. If the slide had a minimum weight of say 11 oz's with sights installed and firing pin,extractor etc. The total weight was 41 oz's then there would be no problem at all. It would also be easy to check as well for everyone using a scale. I would like to see IDPA and USPSA use this. All in favor ;-) Thanks, Eric

Wouldn't a thumb shield be a simplier solution in this case?

I have a thumb shield on a sti tactical 9mm, and a swenson safety on my edge 40. Why spend the extra money to put on rear serrations and then spend more money to cover them with a thumb shield. I might decide later I need one, but then I will have it put on later. I figure with no rear serrations I probably won't need it.

post-5850-1194375004.jpeg

i'm not 100% certain but i'm under the impression the cut in front of the rear serrations is called a panel cut

someone correct me if i'm wrong

That would be a tri topped, serrated, rear Pocketed slide straight from SV as I was describing. thanks for the pic yoshidaex. I'm not fond of the front serrations on the pic above, but perhaps if the front serrations were identical to the rr serrations behind the pocket shares function and isnt so obtrusive to the IDPA freakers. Benny I love your guns man. When I can afford it, I'm callin you for a 6" gun. I too have never seen Anyone that didnt know how to use a Mill, not be able to tri top a slide. a panel cut would be even easier. I have a gun with the just the panel cuts and I really wished I had some serrations when I was trying to reassemble the gun. with nothing knurled or zero serrations, it makes it pretty tough to rack the slide or even sometimes take town. grip tape fits well in the panel pocket :ph34r:

I have been told at two different matches that I could not shoot my 2011 in CDP division as it was limited to 1911 guns. Ended up shooting it after others has input into the conversation..... There is a definite bias from many. :huh:

Merlin, that may not be an anti-2011 bias. They may just not be keeping up with the rules. Under the old rule book I believe CDP was limited to 45 ACP 1911s. That changed in the new rule book. Now you can shoot all manor of plastic guns in CDP as long as they are in 45 ACP. The top three finishers at the 07 Nationals in CDP were factory pros shooting M&P, Glock, and XD. Yuck!! (read: definite bias :sick: )

I have been told at two different matches that I could not shoot my 2011 in CDP division as it was limited to 1911 guns. Ended up shooting it after others has input into the conversation..... There is a definite bias from many. :huh:

Merlin, that may not be an anti-2011 bias. They may just not be keeping up with the rules. Under the old rule book I believe CDP was limited to 45 ACP 1911s. That changed in the new rule book. Now you can shoot all manor of plastic guns in CDP as long as they are in 45 ACP. The top three finishers at the 07 Nationals in CDP were factory pros shooting M&P, Glock, and XD. Yuck!! (read: definite bias :sick: )

Actually, the rulebook hasn't changed since they eliminated 10mm from CDP. Any gun that shoots .45 ACP can be used in CDP. This sounds like someone interjecting personal opinion. Usually stops when you ask them to show you the rule in the rulebook...

actually...those SO's read the forums here also,and are po'ed that Merlin gets the $200.00 1911's.... <_<

i dont it's more of the slide cuts as described as it would be showing up at a state match with a full frame lenght shown in the pic...

actually...those SO's read the forums here also,and are po'ed that Merlin gets the $200.00 1911's.... <_<

i dont it's more of the slide cuts as described as it would be showing up at a state match with a full frame lenght shown in the pic...

in idpa can you shoot long dust cover and bull barrel or does it have to be short dust cover and bushing barrell for esp

in idpa can you shoot long dust cover and bull barrel or does it have to be short dust cover and bushing barrell for esp

No bull barrel in a 5" gun. With shorter guns yes. Long dust cover no.