Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using new brass?

rledwards

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I can't find anything related using the search function.

A friend from work is getting into pistol shooting and I have introduced him to reloading.

He came over to try loading some ammo on my equipment and brought some new Winchester .45 brass. After loading just a couple dozen rounds, the Dillon SDB locked up at the end of the down stroke of the handle. It turned out that a case was stuck on the expander "button". After getting the offending case out, I found the expander button to be very fouled with brass that took a considerable amount of elbow grease to remove. Is this common with new brass?

I have been reloading for over 45 years and got my first Dillon 550 over 20 years ago and have reloaded 10's of thousands of rounds over the years, but I guess I have never actually used new pistol brass in all that time. I switched to the 550 and quickly fouled the expander on that one also. I tried some of the finely powdered mica that I have previously used when neck expanding some new rifle brass, but it didn't help much.

Any suggestions from anyone with experience loading new pistol brass would be much appreciated. He needs to load some more ammo, but I would like to have a solution before he comes over.

TIA,

--Lin

are you using any hornady oneshot lube? its amazing how a quick spray of oneshot makes cycling the press so much easier.

i use hornady oneshot or dillon case lube. dillon for my 9mm range pick ups and oneshot for the 40 s&w and ocasional 45 acp.

<_< I don't much care for loading with new brass. But it does help to take the expander and chuck in the drill pres and polish the heck out of it. a 1/2" drill would work.

or you could go the longer rout and use a chamfer tool on the inside. the one shot is a good trick too combined with the polished neck on the expander

new brass is a pain. there is sometimes a flange of metal at the case mouth (inside and outside) after it is trimmed to the proper length by the manufacturer. this can also cause sticking in the crimp die.

a light chamfer of the inside and outside of the case mouth will reduce the stickiness - though might not completely eliminate it.

i often mix new brass with old during the loading process and this reduces the stickiness substantially.

Yes, new brass does seem to be "sticky"

They MAKE new brass?

:surprise:

All mine grows on the ground of my local range.

( I was told to tumble it as well..)

I'm too old to train new brass :angry2: . I only use "experienced" brass B)

:goof::lol::goof::lol:

i'm in the same boat as you guys. experienced brass and harvesting brass from the ground only :P i'm too cheap for new, virgin brass.

are you using any hornady oneshot lube? its amazing how a quick spray of oneshot makes cycling the press so much easier.

i use hornady oneshot or dillon case lube. dillon for my 9mm range pick ups and oneshot for the 40 s&w and ocasional 45 acp.

I agree hornady one shot on all brass makes the process through my dillon 650 much much smoother.

Yes, new brass does seem to be "sticky"

They MAKE new brass?

:surprise:

All mine grows on the ground of my local range.

( I was told to tumble it as well..)

+1 ... I've never seen a piece of new brass on the ground myself. No problems yetr, as my reloading/shooting has only been limited by my (in)ability so far.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree hornady one shot on all brass makes the process through my dillon 650 much much smoother.

+1 on the Hornady One Shot. This will make loading new brass easy.

• 2 weeks later...
This may sound like a dumb question to a lot of you, but several of you mentioned Hornady One Shot lube. How is it used? Do you spray into a batch of brass you intend to load that day and mix it around or do you spray each piece of brass?

I put a couple/three hundred cases in a large ziplock bag then spray them for about a second or so with the lube. Close the ziplock and mix them around to get a nice light layer on all/most of them. Let the lube set for about a minute or so and then you're good to go.

You don't have to completely coat each and every case for good results.

The only new brass I've ever had in my life was 1K of Starline I bought before I knew there was brass free for the pickin at the range. I had no issues with that new brass. I'm guessing that there was a burr left after it was trimmed to length and that is the brass particles in the dies. Try tumbling to knock the burr off.

I always lube brass before reloading. Just makes life easier if nothing else. Find yourself a 6"x6" box, dump some brass in. A one second shot of One-Shot. Close the top and shake it around. Open it up and another quick spritz. Another shake and pour it into the bin to dry. As it's drying fill your primer tubes. When your tubes are filled the brass is dry enough to load.

And nope I don't tumble or wipe the lube off.

• 2 months later...

I just started reloading 38 Super and had to actually (it is embarrassing) buy new brass (PMC). The first 200 I sprayed with One Shot (cases on a cookie sheet.) The next 200 I did not spray and could tell no difference in my 650. I'm saving the One Shot for the used stuff.

Edited by Tomo67

I just started reloading 38 Super and had to actually (it is embarrassing) buy new brass (PMC). The first 200 I sprayed with One Shot (cases on a cookie sheet.) The next 200 I did not spray and could tell no difference in my 650. I'm saving the One Shot for the used stuff.

Tom,

I'm actually embarrassed as well. I had to by new 38 stupor brass. I just can't understand why folks won't leave it on the ground for me to pick up. <_<

and for what it's worth, I use one-shot on everything. Well....related to reloading that is :devil:

dj