Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Higher cost of shooting

JD45

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted I make enough money...but... not enough so I don't notice the price increases - just enough so I can still shoot as much and still afford to eat..... <_<

Inflation is affecting everything - not just shooting. I am thinking we are in for some hard times in the near future.

Other - I plan to hit next year hard as possible then will likely take a few years off to get my MBA and use whatever components (super, 40, 9) I've got to shoot the occasional match, probably forgetting that I'm not shooting an open gun with 29 rounds in it when I've only got 10...

I am going to be shooting less livefire practice and focusing more on dryfire and Airsoft training....I see people selling all kinds of stuff to what seems to be buy bullets- man there are some really handsome deals out there... :mellow:

Didn't see an option that best applies to me....

a) cutting my 9mm practice ammo from 147 gr like I use in matches to 115 gr.

b ) being "choosier" in my matches.. I limited myself to 2 local matches/month this summer (which meant I shot less idpa... same 90 min drive, less rounds so not worth the gas/lunch/fee expense).

c) slightly cutting my live fire. Ave'd 500 rounds/week a couple years ago between practice/matches. Now I'm averaging about 300 per week. Just means more dryfire... I think it's been better for me anyway.

d) will start reloading for rifle this winter (only loaded pistol till now)... never shot enough .223 to make it worth reloading (~2k or so per year), but now it's VERY worth reloading. Barely shot the long guns at all this summer.

-rvb

Edited by rvb

I already shoot Production. I was planning to switch to Limited for next year but that's on hold indefinitely. I had a bunch of money saved up for a new Limited gun, now that is going to ammo. I'm in school full-time and consider myself lucky to be able to do this at all.

Live fire goes way down in winter anyway, I'll work as many hours as I can manage and save up for next year. And dryfire, dryfire, dryfire. B)

I'm still thinking & wondering how it will affect me & what my reaction's going to be. I'm pretty stocked up on components for now but how long will they last? I'm going to have to watch carefully & keep my eyes out for good deals. I may fire up my casting pot as well. I guess time will tell. MLM

What about the option of switching to cheaper powder or bullets?

My game plan, be sure I pick enough brass so I don't have to buy any.

I don't get to shoot more than one match a month usually, so I refuse to let the higher cost keep me away. I'd shoot more if I could.

I really did not fit into any of the categories clearly.

I use and reload .45 Colt for CAS, IDPA, & USPSA so I shoot all the matches that I can. I use one load mainly, so I am ready for any of them that I am able to attend. My work schedule is my real limiting factor, and I get at best 2 matches a month between the three disiplines. :)

Not a good fit here either.

Basically, I'll actually be buying my reloading components in bulk as well as working with companies to help out my local shooting buddies buy products at a more affordable price (when I get out of the Army or at least out of Afghanistan).

From there, I'll actually be shooting more and dry firing a ton more. I'll just make sure that live fire practice sessions and club matches are not just throwing lead sessions.

Bottom line. Establish a budget and work within those limits.

Rich

I make enough to absorb the higher costs but dryfire practice has helped me a lot this year so I am not opposed to a little more dryfire and a little less livefire. Actually I should say quality livefire. I'm good on ammo anyway until spring at least.

Shooting less. With ammo component prices going up by about 20% this year and it will be taking another 10-15% jump in Jan of 2008, I have no choice but to shoot less. If the wife and I want to shoot a match or practice, I have to figure in : gas, ammo, baby sitter, match fees....all the sudden I am at $100+ for a day of shooting.

I have gone from about 1200 rounds a month of practice to maybe 400. I went from shooting 2-3 local matches a month to shooting 1. I used to shoot 6+ big matches a year but now I am down to 2-3. Figures, I make GM and now I don't have the time or the money to maintain the skills. :angry2: From talking to people in the industry, they all say its not going to get any better.

Kind of reminds me of how gun control came about in Africa, they went after the ammo availability not the guns.

Ktyler

My volume bullet prices went up 36% from last year but they were really cheap then.

I'll shoot up my retirement money until 2009 when Queen Hillary takes away our guns or the ability to shoot them and then shoot matches only with lead bullets IF I can get them...

As said above, they won't take our guns but it'll be real tough to get ammo.

Edited by Mick

Thankfully I make enough money (Can't believe I said that and dn't let my partner hear me) that ammo is not the most costly part of shooting.

Match fees, Travel expenses, meals on the road after a match. Now this is where it gets costly.

Current price for a local match is $20.00. 150 rounds is about what $15.00 or so? Gas to get the 50 -180 miles RT in at 14 MPG averages out to about $21.00 per match and we usually spend about $15 -$25 for food after shooting.

Ammo, it is the least costly part of a weekly match.

Throw in travel expenses of an overnighter and you can really up the tally fast. Ammo is even the cheapest part of the Nationals. 350 rounds even if you BUY it FACTORY NEW, not reloaded is what $140.00? Airfare was near to $400.00 , Hotel was $850.00, car rental $200.00, food...

Ammo is the single lowest cost item we have. Cut match costs by car pooling. Get a more efficient vehicle, pack a lunch, split a room and a rental car. Eat cheaper. Do any of us really need Filet Mignon EVERY night at a match.

Leave out the outside entertainment. That can save big bucks!!

Jim

The only thing I did differently is buy lead bullets. I shoot one match each week and one or two practice sessions. I shoot lead outside and moly indoors. The lead I buy is about a third the cost of molys.

The cost of fuel to travel to matches and to practice added to matches fees and any other thing you would like to add...is a real concern. However, somehow someway I will always shoot.

Buddy

I voted I make enough money...but... not enough so I don't notice the price increases - just enough so I can still shoot as much and still afford to eat..... <_<

+1

I plan to give up breathing, eating, and paying alimony. :lol:

+1

It's my only sport/passion and my wife fully understands it.

It's ipsc or my sanity.

1.) Use cast lead bullets for practice, keep the fmj/plated for matches.

2.) 1 or 2 local matches/month maximum - ZERO big matches so far this year..bot the Sectionals are coming...

3.) Practice dropped from 500 rd/week to 200 (make 'em all count now...every damn shot)

4.) Use my $8/lb. powder (Alliant Promo) for practice, keep the good stuff (Ramshot Zip)for matches

5.)Switched to cheapest primers I can get in the 5K case (Magtech/Wolf)

5.)Make up more reasons to the spouse on why the hell I'm sending so much money into the berm/up in smoke/etc.

I started late, and it keeps getting more painful.

It's a strange world where it's cheaper for me to shoot Open than Limited.

Let's see, how can I cut costs?

1. 115 gr bullets

2. Don't sight in my gun

3. Skip the chrono stage at big matches

4. No make up shots

5. See if anybody is selling once fired bullets

I added two poll choices that needed to be there.

The reason it is hitting me so hard is my bullet supplier dried up. A $100 bill bought me 4000 cast .45 bullets until last week. And I drove to pick them up. How much do you think cast bullets are elsewhere?

Primers were $85.00 per 5000 at my club. Now they are 145.00.

More dryfire and .22 practice. No more Precision bullets, they've gone up too much now. Time to break out the $40.00 K pure lead......And it gets nothing but worse from here on out....

DaG