Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Higher cost of shooting

JD45

We are also facing an increased foreign demand for minerals used as bullet components. China is the world's leading producer of lead 1,327,000 tons to the US 441,000 tons (mined) and is also the world's largest consumer at 1,985,000 tons of refined lead to the US 1,460,000 tons last year. China is also the world's largest consumer of copper. Emerging economies are driving up the cost of most all minerals.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got the Midway sale flyer and could only find .22 bullets at 1/2 price.

I'm trying to figure out how to save money on shooting supplies. Sharing information on sales, bulk purchases, and pick up are some ways costs may be lessened. Bullets are the component that costs the most, as long as there is Homeland Security money for lots of pistol training brass will be cheap. What else can be done? I'm woeful that increased demand around the globe for strategic minerals will without a doubt continue to push up bullet and other component prices. I have a very inelastic demand for cartridge components and will cut back on other expenditures as prices increase (I'm hooked). The effect of rising costs is going to keep a lot of prospective new shooters from joining our sport and sadly drive some out. Hopefully prices will flatten out and incomes will catch up so that the sport isn't affected too badly.

On a related topic. I hear that MidwayUSA is having a sale on blemished bullets, they should be fine for practice... Some prices are 50% off

But most are hollow-point bullets and may not be suitable for indoor ranges.

I just got the Midway sale flyer and could only find .22 bullets at 1/2 price.

You can click on different pics in the email for different calibers of BLEMISHED BULLETS.

The effect of rising costs is going to keep a lot of prospective new shooters from joining our sport and sadly drive some out.

Hopefully prices will flatten out and incomes will catch up so that the sport isn't affected too badly.

:(:rolleyes: True ..... true!

I switched from 40 cal Limited to 9mm Production. My Limited gun required jacketed bullets where as my 9mm shoots Berry's plated just fine. That will save me a bunch this year. And I'm liking Production more than Limited so that's a bonus.

-Cuz.

I went from Zeros to Berry's. I don't shoot enough to really warrant changing back to Titegroup from N330 when the difference is about 3/4 cent per round.

I also don't practice so much but I do wish Advantage Arms would get a 22 upper for the XD!

Following this thread got me to thinking.... so I put a pencil to work to determine how much my shooting cost last year.

The grand total made me a little ... but the distribution was interesting.

Discounting stuff like gun parts etc the three largest catagories were

Match and range fees 42%

Travel 29%

Ammo 29%

I didn't include travel meals clothing etc... assuming ya gotta have that any way.

I guess I was surprised how much the match fees totaled.... especially for the majors.

Now you've gone and made me add it all up!

Since I began reloading in 2005...

20% Match & Range fees

36% Travel (meals, gas, hotel - 25 matches/year)

44% Ammo (primers, powder, bullets - brass has been free)

Switched from Limited to Production in Apr-06 to cut costs.

Now you've gone and made me add it all up!

Since I began reloading in 2005...

20% Match & Range fees

36% Travel (meals, gas, hotel - 25 matches/year)

44% Ammo (primers, powder, bullets - brass has been free)

Switched from Limited to Production in Apr-06 to cut costs.

I have been doing it all wrong!

39% Travel expenses

38% Match and Range fees

23% Ammo

No wonder you kick my butt...

Got my priorities all wrong!!!!! ( or traveling to way too many matches out of Town!) :surprise:

(BTW I did not add in the bar bills or I'd have to quit!)

I've thought about quitting but it is my son's hobbie as well. Francisco is even asking about the AMU... I'll try to concentrate the resources on getting them the good shooting opportunities. In the meantime it'll be just two locals a month for me.

I have recently started the stay-at-home dad thing and we are living on just my wife's salary, but we had to make some changes in our lifestyle to do so and keep me shooting on a fairly regular basis. We are getting rid of the car payments, and the gas guzzling cars that go with them, and paid cash for a decent used car that gets about 33 mpg. Quit eating out as much ($35-50 per meal eats up a bunch of bullets), do the Netflix thing instead of going to the movies, my wife takes her lunch to work every day instead of eating out. A bunch of little things have seemed to add up to quite a bit and have let me continue to shoot. I am also starting to sell/trade off reloading supplies for calibers I no longer own to obtain stuff I can use. I am going to do whatever I can to keep shooting, even if it means shooting the cheapest cast lead bullets and low end powder I can get my hands on. I will just have to shoot only on days where there is a good cross wind so I can still see the paper :D .

I cant vote on it because I didn't see an answer to check on that I agreed with. I almost said Dry Fire Practice only, If it said reduced shooting and more Dryfire practice I would of checked it. If I'm not mistaken, most professional shooters and instructors recommend 70% dryfire practice. 30% live. I cut my live fire practice and I started seeing the difference at the end of the month in my scores and my bank acct. I think buying these components in bulk now, before the prices rise

any further, will save you a bit of dough.

I bought a lot of stuff 2 years ago, that has gone up roughly 20-30% and will continue to climb. I wish I bought more! I can't afford what I could then as not only shooting prices went up, but EVERYTHING inflated and is continuing to do so. I just sold My house (yes in this market) and did pretty well. it will afford me a little more. I definately think anyone can save just a little bit and put it away. Every way you can figure how to save a dollar here and there, put in some over time a few hours a week and stop any frivolous spending (As I start to build a new 6" blaster) :ph34r: I dont drink, I grow some of my own foods, roll my own cigarettes, and I try to eat at home as much as I can. I go out less, drive less, so I can travel more, and enjoy more than just shooting. I understand if you make your living shooting, and I know a few of you do. But if you aren't joining the supersquad any time soon, perhaps its time to take a break when these prices raise, or work more/shoot less. oh yeah, STOP HAVING KIDS! that will definately afford more time and money to shoot!

:lol:

I've thought about quitting but it is my son's hobbie as well. Francisco is even asking about the AMU... I'll try to concentrate the resources on getting them the good shooting opportunities. In the meantime it'll be just two locals a month for me.

Quit??? That is not going to cut it Nemo. You are an inspiration to far more than just your sons. I do not want to have to accept applications for substitute hero. :)

Being a little more selective as to how many/which matches I shoot. I'm definitely not shooting any more matches that charge high entry fees.

I've also quit doing most live fire practice, just dryfire only. Shooting matches is my live fire practice.

• 4 weeks later...

Being relatively new to the competition, USPSA card this past June, it's tough to jump in and see how many others are cutting back. I am trying to stay on a mostly even keel with my shooting, even though my wife says I am one of those, "if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing", kinda guys. I am buying a reloader this winter, live fire practice is mostly with a Ruger 22/45, and while diesel prices are though the roof, if I want to travel to a match, it's cheaper to take the 5th wheel and stay in my own comfy bed. I spend enough time in hotels for work. Both of the local clubs close to me shut down matches during the winter, so I have my choice of driving a couple hundred miles or just hunker down, reload and practice. I will also forego the golf membership next year. Dang, it's looking mighty skinny for next year. :unsure:

If you want to keep shooting ....buy components in large quantities now. They won't get cheaper. If you don't have the money for it, cut back on the :cheers: money and budget for it. If thats not possible, then do like sargenv and stay up with the sport as an RO, MD, RM, etc.

Edited by Truegent2004