Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which rifle for heavy metal?

steel1212

Armilite, it costs more but I bought a new one 1 1/2 years ago and it rocks. mines the a4 model. All those other guys suggest allowing for the wind. @ 400 yards my rounds find the target right on. On steel you definitely know you ding it. Most of all ,its the manly mans rifle. I think there is a reason why .308 is a great sniper rifle. good luck with your choice, there are lots to choose from. Don't forget Rock River. I think they are the cheapest. :cheers:

I'm not just looking for cheapest but I want something that I don't have to buy just certain mags for or just this or just that. I want something that people are modding with 3 gun parts.

Anybody got a pic of a Benny Hill DPMS? 20" barrel?

I'm not just looking for cheapest but I want something that I don't have to buy just certain mags for or just this or just that. I want something that people are modding with 3 gun parts.

All the rifles are pretty mag specific. The DPMS takes FNFAL mags (I think) and the Armalite takes M14 mags that are modified. Knights SR-25 takes unique (and expensive) mags. Unfortunately, you won't be able to get one set of mags for any 308 platform you choose.

Try a FAL, the mags are not as cheap as they were, but they are cheap (5 to 9 bucks) and at this time plentiful. Outfit it with stuff from DSA, I like the A2 Hampton lower, but they also offer a lower with a rail to mount flip ups on for use with their picatinny gas block. I also use their FF tube so I can crank down on the sling for longer shots. The 16" barrel with a good comp is fun to shoot and easy to control. Of course it comes with a working adjustable gas system and reliability is top notch.

I doubt it is as accurate as a Benny Hill or JP rifle, but should be right there with a standard grade M1A.

Good Luck,

Mike

All the rifles are pretty mag specific. The DPMS takes FNFAL mags (I think) and the Armalite takes M14 mags that are modified. Knights SR-25 takes unique (and expensive) mags. Unfortunately, you won't be able to get one set of mags for any 308 platform you choose.

The now defunct Bushmaster and the "new" Rock River LAR-8 are the ones that use FAL mags. The SR-25 and DPMS can use the same mag, and ArmiLite has finally came out with a replacement for the converted M-14 mag (the new ones work great!)

Ed

I should have my DPMS upper back from Benny this week. (I hope)

He is cutting down my 24" upper and adding a Rolling Thunder comp and a carbon fiber handguard.

I'll post a picture then.

Scott

If you get a FAL be SURE to get the Hampton lower from DSA (sponsor plug alert). The biggest disadvantages for the FAL have always been sights and triggers. With the Hampton lower, one of those disdvantages is gone. DSA also does decent triggers. Accuracy Speaks is making a Heavy metal FAL which is pretty trick.

My FAL shoots one MOA all day long with a free float tube and good barrel. Is it as accurate as a JP? No but it's more than accurate enough.

I posted exact same question 1 ½ years ago and thanks to Kellyn I have used my FAL from DSA at 3 matches and I am sure that I made good decision Fal is defiantly the way to go. It is defiantly a different platform than AR you need to make sure you like it and it works for you.. I am not a great shooter and was able to hit 9in plates at 290 at the STI match without a problems. As far as AR what aver you get make sure you get Benny’s brake and while you their just have him build the entire gun. :cheers:

Edited by 1911vm

That is because "Heavy Metal" is a sub-class of Limited! Our National Champion for Heavy Metal IS P.E. Kelly, a fellow M1A affectionnado!

Take your AR-10s and molest them by the score...but save a "RIFLE GUY" an M-14 thats been to war before!!! KURTM

At the AMU Ft Benning 3 Gun last year there were several shooters that used the M-1A platform in HM. They did not give up anything to the AR-10 platform shooters. A friend of mine shot my Springfield SOCOM 16 and did well with it.

Of course a FAL won that match!

But no Mikey, I will not be Heavy Metaling it this year. I'll be shooting Tactical Scope. See you there, amigo.

I can tell you one rifle to not try.... G3. They are accurate and reliable, but the controls are clumsy and they balance poor.

I like the M1A better for long range than the FAL, but I think the FAL has better controls for 3 gun. FAL is definitely cheaper, as are spare parts. I have an 18" DSA w/ aluminum lower that handles as well as an AR, and is lighter than my 20" HBAR w/ optics. FALs scope well w/ the DSA dust cover mount.

I haven't tried a DPMS, but they look very nice. I've seen some spectacular groups online from these rifles.

Before you buy a new .308, make sure you can afford the ammo!

I know this weapon is limited in 3 gun matches, but I gotta say (along with my son) the M-1 Garand just ROCKS!!! I've never had more fun than shooting a Garand USPSA 3 gun style. Its cool to hear the "ping" when your out.

I've had some pretty good luck with the DPMS 308, although it did need some tweeking to get it 100%, but to be fair, I did have the barrel cut down so I needed to re-adjust the gas hole diameter.

Other than the usual mods I do to any competition rifle, it has worked great and served me well.

If fact, I remember our own Kurt Miller commenting at SMM3G that it was the most reliable 308 AR he's seen in a long time, but he did temper that with "but it's still not an M1A!" :lol:

Erik

Hey I finally had an M1A not function 100%. Come to find out it was the magazine, one of my VERY old OM stamped mags cracked at the left rear feed lip, and would occasionally miss feed the round on the left! Replaced the mag and it has been great since...well the last 900 rounds or so. Eriks gun did surprise me in the fact I never saw it jam at SMM3G!

All,

So I've been bitten by the .308 bug. I LOVE my JP-15 upper so I'm leaning towards a JP. Are they shipping and anyone know what lower they use? Being in Cali we have to deal with stupid "named receiver" ban lists. DPMS is on the list. But if JP has his own name stamped onto it I'm good to go. Else I could get a Fulton or POF lower and get a JP upper.

Anyway, just curious if anyone has a JP - their website lists the "ar10" page as under construction.