Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Benches

Jerome Poiret

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally found back those nasty pics of my reloading room.

Please don't look for the mess :D :

The 650 is used to load 40sw and 38 super, the Hornady is used for the 9mm

Presse1.jpg

Here is a little view of the powder stock. There is some more elsewhere.

Under the powder there are few 223 components (primers and bullets, few cases) .

Presse3.jpg

And the third shows a part of the Bullets in stock : it goes from 9mm to 45 including 40sw and 44 mag in different weight.

Presse2.jpg

Of course I do :P

This is an old picture, I took it just after I received my powder from the sponsor, you guessed it, Vectan :D

But this is also the more easily available powder here, and the cheapest.

But if you look closely behind the left keg, you'll see "the other brand" I've used for some time ;)

• 2 weeks later...

First off, I'm going to pin this, the most popular topic in the forums.

Now, here's my Gorilla Rack bench coming together in my new garage.

bench1.JPG

90% of it comes together with just a rubber mallet. The middle cross-brace requires some screws and wingnuts. For some reason, the left drawer framer doesn't have the tabs on the back like the right one does, only holes. There was no explanation in the instructions and no hardware; it appears to be a manufacturing error. I just used some junk hardware to attach it.

It comes with thin pressboard for the surfaces, which rest on the bent steel corners of the frame pieces. Previously, I secured all the corners with additional fasteners.

In the second picture, I moved the whole bench to the right about 6" to get the left side vertical frame lined up with a stud in the garage wall. I will probably secure the bench that way, and I also have some heavy steel angle braces (shelf mounts) for more stiffness.

bench2.JPG

I got a large 1" thick piece of pressboard (it's HEAVY!) to use as the bench surface, because its weight and stiffness adds stability. I screwed it into the supplied pressboard surface and used through-bolts for the 650 strong mount. I might add more through-bolts. It's wider than the bench and I let it hang over the left side instead of cutting it. In this garage, I may have to cut it.

bench3.JPG

The portable stereo is probably a quarter-century old. It may be replaced by a boom box that is only 15-20 years old. I will add a power strip and some form of lighting. A single outlet is all there is for the entire garage, save for a second outlet above the garage door opener.

Edited by Erik Warren

Erik,

looks like you're borrowing ideas from my last posted setup...

...through-bolts for the 650 strong mount...
...portable stereo is probably a quarter-century old...

Or, maybe great minds think alike? :D

Now you only need to learn how to match colors (e.g.lamp and old press, stereo and new press...) :P

Upgrades and Accessories!

Reloading1.JPG

Reloading2.JPG

All that's left is to hang the shop light from the ceiling and get my tumbler and media separator, then witness the power of this fully operational battle station!

I gotta recommend not using the flimsy shelving system I got. (Thin gauge sheet metal barely better than aluminum foil; difficult twin tab and slot construction; feels flimsy even when assembled.) I assume Gorilla Rack has shelving that's equivalent to their bench in materials, construction, and ease of setup, and that's what I would rather have.

BTW, a magnetic parts bowl rules.

My safe, MY SAFE! I forgot to leave room for my safe! <anguished crying>

Edited by Erik Warren

you might also want to add a pad to the cement floor if you're going to be loading while standing.

Ab-so-freakin-lute-ly !!!

Here's some ad-vice (har-d-har-har)...

I think I would add a vice to that left wing of the reloading bench (though I really like my reloading bench to be "dedicated", and not used for other things). And, I would add a kitchen sized trash can under that wing.

Looks good Erik...your set!

My safe, MY SAFE! I forgot to leave room for my safe! <anguished crying>
How did you go from getting throw out of your apartment and looking for a safe mover, to having a sweet ass garage custom built for all of your reloading stuff???? I need an upgrade like that. Not to mention room for all of the sh*t that the kids will drag along. Nice digs!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Daneille/reload1.jpgHere's mine, 2- 6 foot benches built by a buddy. The 650 in the forefront and my casepro in the background. In the far background, my winter fun awaits.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Daneille/reload2.jpg

A friend of mine automated the case pro using an air piston (?) been running for probably 250k rounds.

James

I assume Gorilla Rack has shelving that's equivalent to their bench in materials, construction, and ease of setup, and that's what I would rather have.

Erik, you might check out that wire-shelving

like: http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml? CATID=13379&PRODID=60645

It's easy to setup and hang stuff off of, and it holds 800 pounds. CostCo sells a 6 shelf unit (has wheels and feet options) for ~ $70. You can buy additional single shelfs at places, but the package deals are the cheapest..

If you want solid shelfs, they sell liners, or cheap 1/4 ply (or particleboard) works.