Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hoser sight setup

AustinMike

I'm new to the AR-15 and to rifles in general for that matter. Just got an AR a couple months ago and I've shot one match so far. I try to shoot one 3-gun match a month and it's usually a small match in pistol bays. That's typically going to be what I shoot 98% of the time. One of these days I'd like to shoot a bigger match with far targets, but since I won't be able to practice that sort of thing anyway, it doesn't make sense to me to spend a lot of money equipping my rifle to handle 300+ yards targets. Right now, I've got a Simmons Pro Diamond 1.5-5x variable (Tactical division.) I don't really like it because to me, the eye relief isn't very good and it takes me too long to acquire targets that aren't all that far away. Maybe I just need more practice with this type of scope, but I just really find it annoying to get lined up and peer down a little tube at something 30yards away.

So, at the risk of being flamed to death for starting yet another optic thread, can I get some suggestions for a better setup for someone mostly shoots at targets inside of 50 yards? I don't think I need to spend $1000+ since I'm shooting freakin' Wolf ammo most of the time. I do understand that quality optics come at a price though and I've got some other things I'd probably sell if it looks like I need to get something pricey. Yes, I've searched for a while now and I'm left with only a headache. I'd like to get something with a more heads-up display, wide FOV, blah, blah for quick target acquisition. I'm even open to just going iron sight if that's what would be best. I'd like to hear from others who shoot a lot of hoser stages.

Thanks for any advice to a confused rifle newbie!

Edited by AustinMike

Look at an EOTECH. I have one mounted on a 16 inch flat top sighted in for 200 yards but it works great at the ranges you are talking about. Just keep both eyes open and put the target inside the circle and shoot and if it's a small target put the dot on it. Hope this helps

Bret

C-more would probably be good since I shoot open from time to time (just not in 3-gun.) Price ain't bad either. Why didn't I think of that?

I saw a number of mentions of Eotech in searches. What model and is there any advantage at all over a C-more, like helping to hit the rare long range target?

50 yds ? Benny has it . Use a C-more. 6 MOA dot and you will be fine.

+1

I went with a 6 MOA JP micro dot sight, but it is the same point. Very fast under 50 yards.

BTW: I shoot wolf as well... anything under 200 yards gets the wolf!

Edited by maineshootah

since you already have a simmons, if yer shooting open, this works pretty good. although i still like one optic (just waiting for the right one).

Actually, the rifle came with a small side dot sight (Truglo, I think?) I'm not too crazy about it though. The dot is small, not very bright, and more of a star burst than a dot really. I don't want to compete in open division though, so I need to take it down to one sight.

I have no experience with the Simmons scope you are using, but if I were you I would persist in trying to improve your speed with it. You inability to get your head in the right position quickly could be alleviated by one of the following: higher or lower rings, a riser mount that puts the cope further away from your eye, and/or an adjustable stock. Check out the picture of my backup rifle below to get an idea of how this works - it has high-ish rings, a riser and an M4 stock:

503307-big.JPG

If you really need a new sighting system, a cheap red dot would do the job for you - I've had good luck on a subgun so far with the $40 Simmons job from Midway, although I use an Aimpoint for serious applications. Inside 25yds, unless the targets are small or the light poor, I can shoot A2 iron sights with the large aperture as fast and accurately as a red dot. For a budget Tactical Scope, I like the Weaver V3 1-3x scope on the rifle above... on 1x I can shoot with both eyes open and hose with the best of them.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I have no experience with the Simmons scope you are using, but if I were you I would persist in trying to improve your speed with it. You inability to get your head in the right position quickly could be alleviated by one of the following: higher or lower rings, a riser mount that puts the cope further away from your eye, and/or an adjustable stock.

Yeah and I may come back to the Simmons some day. For now, I just don't have time to "learn it" or mess around with different mountings. Between work and classes, I barely have time to get to a match or two each month. Practice definitely ain't happening. I need something "plug n play" for now. I'm leaning toward the c-more since I've got experience with those from shooting open pistol a bit. I'd like to look through an Eotech though for comparison before buying since it seems to be another popular choice and may be more adaptable to longer shots when needed (albeit rarely.)

Try to move the simmons a little more fwd on the gun, open both eyes, bracket the a zone with the diamond and pull the trigger twice, fast. I think you will be supprised how well that little scope can work. A lot of value in that scope.--------Larry

Yeah and I may come back to the Simmons some day. For now, I just don't have time to "learn it" or mess around with different mountings. Between work and classes, I barely have time to get to a match or two each month. Practice definitely ain't happening. I need something "plug n play" for now. I'm leaning toward the c-more since I've got experience with those from shooting open pistol a bit. I'd like to look through an Eotech though for comparison before buying since it seems to be another popular choice and may be more adaptable to longer shots when needed (albeit rarely.)

Two words: DRY FIRE.... Easier, quicker and cheaper than buying new hardware to overcome a software problem :D .

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I'm even open to just going iron sight if that's what would be best.

Thanks for any advice to a confused rifle newbie!

If you are not cross eye dominant, then iron sight is still the best to use in those hosing stages. Try it, you might like it :) I would love to be able to shoot iron sight, but can't see worth a hoot with my cross eye dominancy!

If you want fast and super easy sighting, buy a Simmons Red Dot Sight 42mm Tube 1x 4 MOA Dot with Integral Weaver-Style base.

They are only about $40 bucks, but don't let the price fool you.

They work awesome on a flattop AR-15. Holds zero and does not wander. Battery lasts and lasts.

Keep both eyes open when you shoot. That huge 42mm aperature is like looking through a big picture window.

When I'm running and gunning I keep both eyes open and all I see is the red dot. The scope "disappears".

No reason to spend all that money on an EoTech if you're just hosing under 200yds.

If you mount a j-point/optima close enough to your face it will work as well but it probably won't look as nice as a c-more. I have an extended rail that brings the scope mounting surface back past the charging handle and then a 45 degree mount to the right with an Optima on top. It works well with a straight tube scope(no bell) but the lense and dot are sorta fuzzy. But for 50 yds it doesn't matter too much I guess.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Open allows 2 optics. Red dots are popular as the 2nd Optic for hoser stages, but you could use an optical 1 or 1.5.

For Tactical Division or if you prefer 1 optic in Open, get a zoom that starts between 1 and 1.5. Set it on the minimum magnification. The most important feature is the width of your field of view at the minimum magnification. True 1X is neat because you may be able to keep both eyes open.

Richard

a TA-11 with a progressive machine scope cover is all you need . it works great for hosing with the cover closed and then when you have to engage a 300yrd target you just flip the cover down for 3.5power optics

Well, actually a good reflex sight should beat iron sights up close. Since they have no parallax issues, all you need to do is see the dot (or triangle, or chevron, or whatever) somewhere on the target and jerk the trigger! Well, ok, PRESS the trigger. You don't need to align your eye as precisely with the sight as you do with irons. Irons are more durable, but reflex sights are quicker, IMHO of course.

Oh, and for anyone shooting Wolf at matches, be careful. The newer Wolf .223 has steel jacketed bullets. At some matches you'll get a dq if a magnet reacts to the bullet. I have 2 cases of new Wolf 62 gr. hollow points. They all have steel jackets, so they're only for practice or hosing stages with no steel targets. If the match prohibits steel projectiles entirely, then I don't use them.