Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I upgrade?

Jay6

Since I am new to the game I have just been using a fobus paddle holster and double mag pouch for limited 10 comp. Would it be worth it to upgrade to something like the safariland 007 and some new mag pouches or is my money better spent on more ammo to practice with?

The better you get the less difference you'll see between a normal holster and a race holster. I'd say that individual mag pouches might be a wise purchase since they can be placed exactly where you want them. They'll be a bit faster, but more importantly, they'll be more consistent if they're right where you want/like them. For Limited or Limited-10 I would get a Blade Tech DOH before I'd get a 007 (or a 012 for that matter) but your paddle holster isn't going to hold you back for a long time, if ever.

I wouldn't get in a rush. But then again if you watch the classifieds here you will see some nice holsters let go pretty cheap. When that happens - if you want you can get into a nicer rig at a good savings. If you wait a while you will also have a lot better handle on what rig you actually want and might keep it awhile.

In the mean time, "Just shoot." :cheers:

shoot your gear some more..and upgrade later to something a little more cutting edge than a 007..

for now..make sure your holster is secure on your belt..and with good technique you should be able to do sub 1.10 draws on demand..

The advice to practice more is excellent. It is far more valuable than an equipment upgrade.

That said, I started out with the same mag holders and holster that you have. I found that my "love handles" made it difficult to extract the mags from the holders that were held tight to my body on a conventional gun belt. As a result, I invested in a DOH holster, CR Speed belt and CR Speed Versa mag holders. The CR Speed mag holders keept the mags a good inch away from my body making extraction much easier. The holster is also much nicer than the Fobus. This has been a great rig for L-10 and I highly recommend it.

I have a race holster for my Open rig. A conventional Kydex holster is not an option with a comped gun. I love my Ghost holster but I would never use anything but a DOH for Limited, L-10 or Production. It is much more secure and there is no measurable difference in my draw speed.

Edited by XD Niner

With all due respect to the advice of practice instead of upgrading........how many people giving that advice here are using Fobus equipment as their main competition rig?! :blink: I bet the answer is not many- if any at all...... <_< I am not saying go spend your whole wad on a new set-up. But find a better set-up- there are many out there. I have had a Fobus in the past- frankly I am surprized it hasn't fell apart yet- like mine did....rant off :rolleyes::blush:

Edited by Rocket35

<_< Safariland is great stuff the 012 will work for Limited and open. I Realy like! the Levitation belt system, but it is pricey. worth the extra $$cash. Get it from Brian and we all will love you more. I shoot steel so you will end up with lots of draw time on your score sheet. I tryed several other rigs and I am the most pleased with the 012.

I have four ?five? years on the 012 and it looks great.

With all due respect to the advice of practice instead of upgrading........how many people giving that advice here are using Fobus equipment as their main competition rig?! :blink: I bet the answer is not many- if any at all...... <_< I am not saying go spend your whole wad on a new set-up. But find a better set-up- there are many out there. I have had a Fobus in the past- frankly I am surprized it hasn't fell apart yet- like mine did....rant off :rolleyes::blush:

I got your back on this one Jay. ;) +1

Don't work with equipment you have to fight against. There's just too many fairly inexpensive options out there that are higher quality and leaps and bounds easier to use than Fobus. Blade tech, Comp tac, Kydex and Safariland in that order are the ones I would recommend looking at upgrading to, and get a CR Speed belt.

Normally, I would also tell you to practice more etc. etc. But SInce the Fobus is such a terrible holster, IMO, I won't.

I have used the Fobus and didn't like it. I feel it's a holster that will definately hold you back.

Both the angle/cant and the draw resistance were horrible IMO.

The Safariland 007 is and old model, but I currently use it as my competition Glock holster and I really like it. It's pretty fast too.

If I were you, I'd ask to see/try some different models, see what most of the top guys use.

I would get something cheap (<$100), yet fast/consistent, if possible.

+1 on the CR Speed Belt. It's more important than your choice of holster.

Edited by spook

With all due respect to the advice of practice instead of upgrading........how many people giving that advice here are using Fobus equipment as their main competition rig?!

I did...for quite a while. I know I put up some Master class classifiers with it. I've shot the last couple of years with an Uncle Mike's $15 holster...which I wouldn't really call an up-grade.

A lot of folks don't like the Fobus, as it is a bit tight and it requires that the shooter pull the gun straight up...pull the gun out at any angle and the holster can grab on the gun a bit.

I haven't tried the newer Fobus holster, but it now comes with an adjustment screw (something I suggested to them in a phone call about 4-5yrs ago :) ).

Anyway...my point is that I would suggest to new shooters to spend their time an money of working the fundamentals. While we'd all benefit from the best equipment...I fear too many of our newer shooters get on the equipment bandwagon instead of the improve the shooting turbo-jet.

No biggie either way.

I am a relative noob to this game, so take my advice for what it's worth. When you "know" that a piece of gear is holding you back - upgrade. In other words as you practice and compete, you will reaach a point where you will know for a fact that some piece of gear is holding you back. At that point you will not need to ask for advice as to whether you need to upgrade or not - just what to upgrade to.

Slav

Are you comfortable with the way the gear works? If you are I would say no.

If you are not I would say yes. The cost of good gear is minimal and will last a long time.

I would suggest you get a good belt like the CR Speed.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

Wait until you wear out your current equipment dryfiring...then upgrade...cheapest solution of all.

How much dry fire does it take to wear a holster out? :rolleyes: Kydex is pretty tough, i suggest a blowtorch :blink:

Get a new rig, as most people have suggested, a nice belt is a must ( CR or safariland ) A paddle holster is gonna be on the floppy side compared to a belt mounted .

Test drive someone else's rig , you won't believe the difference.

• 1 month later...

I'd stick with what you have and spend the money on bullets and practice time at the range. I've made the mistake of dropping money on something "faster" and ended up having to relearn the draw, point, index, and all that good stuff. It's way too easy to spend more money and think that's the solution as opposed to practicing with it. However, if the setup is uncomfortable and doesn't work all that well, change it. I guess what it boils down to, is find one setup that works for you and stick with it. Changing new equipment and gadgets may look neat, but nothing beats time and practice.

I would upgrade, but not be in a big hurry to do so. No doubt there's a bunch of stuff that isn't equipment related holding you back right now.

The main thing about equipment other than its basic function is it should make you happy and give you confidence. I like the fact that my CR Speed belt, 773s and Guga Ribas holster result in me feeling good to go.

If you ever switch to a race holster it will involve relearning the draw. May as well learn the new draw now instead of later, especially when it will be tailored to you instead of you to it.