Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2007 IDPA Nationals Underway

Singlestack Wonder

I'm not sure about "bitchin"???

I am sure it is unfortunate that such a penalty is ever accessed for such an expensive 189 rounds. At my end ( yea I shot) it cost about $ 3.00 a round to shoot it.

All issues with the "round dumping" can be solved within stage design, period.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mod hat: Please let's keep this thread for discussion of the match itself. Complaints about rules and scoring in general should go elsewhere.

+1

IDPA is no USPSA and USPSA is not IDPA.

Different rules, different formats. I would JUMP at the chance to double my shooting time if IDPA matches were in my area! To quote BE:

"I am tired of all the friction between 'martial artists' and 'gamesmen' and trap shooters who don't talk to skeet shooters and IPSC guys who won't shoot steel-- Every style of shooting is fun, and whether you enjoy it or not shouldn't hurt another persons enjoyment of it."-- BE, PSBF

Congrats to Donnie for the overall HOA. I was on his squad and he shot a flawless match, it really was something to see.

FYI - there was a chrono that shooters' equipment was tested on right after completing the standards stage (stage 14). They didn't chrono any shooters on Wednesday (SO's and a few early competitors) but started it on Thursday about mid-morning. They used 2 CED chronos under direct sunlight and they appeared to run about 30-50 fps low. Donnie actually almost didn't make minor and then they started using a Shooting Chrony to double check which read consistently 20-35 fps faster.

Jeff

Congrats to Donnie for the overall HOA. I was on his squad and he shot a flawless match, it really was something to see.

FYI - there was a chrono that shooters' equipment was tested on right after completing the standards stage (stage 14). They didn't chrono any shooters on Wednesday (SO's and a few early competitors) but started it on Thursday about mid-morning. They used 2 CED chronos under direct sunlight and they appeared to run about 30-50 fps low. Donnie actually almost didn't make minor and then they started using a Shooting Chrony to double check which read consistently 20-35 fps faster.

Jeff

man, that seems a little...odd...for a national championship match (i mean the lack of consistency).

Well, it's not the fault of the match that the chronographs did not read to everybody's satisfaction.

Call CED... or Chrony.

Although, I have a CED and the only thing that got me consistent results was adding the IR illuminators. Daylight is just not uniform enough. I got some very funny readings off the local club's old PACT, too, which is why I bought the CED, that and having my own to haul around. It's not the brand, it is that we are asking an awful lot out of consumer grade electronics.

Well, it's not the fault of the match that the chronographs did not read to everybody's satisfaction.

Call CED... or Chrony.

Although, I have a CED and the only thing that got me consistent results was adding the IR illuminators. Daylight is just not uniform enough. I got some very funny readings off the local club's old PACT, too, which is why I bought the CED, that and having my own to haul around. It's not the brand, it is that we are asking an awful lot out of consumer grade electronics.

i meant the lack of consistency of running everyone through the chrono...

Oh.

Maybe they weren't consistent in chronographing everybody because they were not getting consistent readings.

Used to, the ATA took care of the ammunition conformity problem, also the income problem, by selling shells at the Grand National.

Would four or five boxes of factory loads be the difference between you going and not going to the National Championships?

I'm going to suggest if we want to discuss the FTDR penalty assessed that's done in a new thread, didn't mean to stir it up here, let's keep this one for discussing the match in a more general way.

edited: oops, I was at the end of page 2 and thought it was the end of the thread.

As for chronoing, seems like it would be worth investing in a light box for a major venue such as this? I have no experience with them, but understand that they are very consistent and independent of weather.

Jim, I agree with your idea. I'd guess that you'd have to do something with the odd rounds (9x25 anyone?). Maybe require a pre order? But I think the largest opposition is some folks tune their gun to a certain load. Still think it's worth pursuing. Heck, you could make it part of the match fee (minimum round count, raised to nearest 50, and extra's available for purchase?)

Edited by kdmoore

Chrono is like the weather...who cares.

Lets talk about the shooting!!

Who is this Donnie Burton kid, anyway? Moneypenny keeps telling me how good Donnie is. I guess he was right.

How abou Bob Vogel? SSP National Champion!!!

David O. takes CDP. Looks like he shot pretty clean?

Hi everyone,

Donnie is the real deal. He shot out AZ State IDPA Championship back in 06 and crushed everyone. At the match we chatted with his did who was with him (Donnie was probably 17 or so then) His dad said his trainig schedule was basically about 5000 rounds a week when he was getting ready for a big match. At the time was shooting a pair of 9mm 1911 that had prototype Warren sights on them. Was a very polite well spoken man and am glad to see him do so well. For the most part his only shoots IDPA (Or did back in 06) Hopefully he will cross over to USPSA as well and compete with the rest of the young guns. From what I remember they are from Ohio as well.

I just made it home. Wow! What a drive from Allentown. Though I did stop at the gunshow at the Pennsylvania Expo Hall and Cabela's on the way west.

I'm dead tired. I'll be back later to post here and/or start a new thread.

It was fun! I had a really good time! Nothing made me happier than having the shooters say "Thanks" and shake our hands before they left our bay.

JeffD,

What gun was Donnie shooting?

Donnie's been shooting the same gun for the few years I've known him - a single stack 9mm 1911 in ESP (9+1 capacity). He is tremendously fast and accurate with that thing. He used to shoot only WWB through it, but now is using 147 handloads to obvious tremendous effect.

Jeff

I don't know where D. Burton is based out of, but he makes all the sanctioned shoots in the Southeast, I see him in Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, and Florida.

He is tremendously fast and accurate, too.

I just wonder what he and the other adolescent phenoms do when they grow up and have to get a job. Do they stay in the sport and shoot on their own time and money or do they breathe a sigh of relief to get out of the pressure cooker? I think Daniel Horner joined the army and shot on the MTU team.

I've shot with Donnie and his Dad(his Dad is a freaking hoot) the last couple years at the GA State match. He is a student of Scott Warren with a good bit of tuteledge from Ken Hackathorn and Rob Haught as well. He is from Ohio and practices at the range Ken and Rob do regularly.I've spoken to Ken Hackathorn about him and Ken's comment was that hes never seen an individual with such a die hard training routine. He commented that what Donnie does for practice is too much like work. The last couple of years he has been shooting three identical Springfield 9mm's from Springfields custom shop. They were stainless and had squared trigger guards and wore prototype Warren rear sights with Infiniti triggers. He has a dedicated practice gun,a match gun and a back up match gun for shooting in ESP. I ran into him and his father at this years shot show talking to the guys at the STI booth about their contingency program. He had said he may build an STI framed single stack for that purpose.

He shot like a house of fire at our state match. He smoked the side match at the plate rack the last two years. I think 2.23 to draw and clear 6 plates at 10 yards. He is a machine right now.....until he discovers P___Y and gets a mortgage to quote the great JM. I've asked him why he doesn't join the ranks of USPSA. He said right now hes only interested in IDPA and shooting in ESP with his 9mm SS. Last year he was 3 seconds behind Sevigny for match win. That was attributed to a bogus procedural that a certain SO was having fun handing out. He is definitely going to be in the up and coming spotlight especially if he makes a showing in USPSA.

CONGRATS to all the other winners :cheers:

Another young guy to keep an eye on over the next couple of years is James McGinty. This time last year he was an expert. This year he finished 6th in ESP master. I have seen him shoot a local major matches and he gets better and better each time that I see him shoot.