Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2007 IDPA Nationals Underway

Singlestack Wonder

I was on Donnie's squad at WV state this year. I thought he was dumping rounds on one stage. It turns out that he was able to call his shot at speed and make it up. Awsome shooter!

I saw the FTDR at the Nats on Friday. It was very clear what was happening. It was on stage 2 where you shot 2 rounds at each of 5 targets before leaving cover. All of her team mates took three shots at the 5th target without hesitation, performed an slide-lock reload before leaving cover for the next target array. The SO wasn't calling it. A match official came over, watched her shoot and told the SO to give her an FTDR. She took one in the shorts for her team mates. Could she have been calling her shots? Maybe, but not the entire team.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't there.

I would like to know how many and what kind of hits she had on the last target.

How far out where the targets?

Bruce

No more than 5 yards from P2. Someone in the squad will have to tell you what type of hits she had.

OK, so I'm watching some of the youtube videos from the nationals and see this stage where you shoot two targets then go prone and shoot the steel bar holding two targets up that then flop down and are then visible. What's the deal there and does anyone have anymore pic/video of that stage?

The stage in question was Stage 6, written and lived by Walt Rauch. There are two targets to the right of the car engaged from cover while standing. Then, the shooter must go prone and shoot out the black leg of each far target. When the leg is hit, the target falls sideways and the shooter must put two rounds into the cardboard. There's no specified order for the far targets other than the leg must be shot before the cardboard. It was a fun stage with a trap set for revolver shooters.

I wasn't there.

I would like to know how many and what kind of hits she had on the last target.

How far out where the targets?

Bruce

No more than 5 yards from P2. Someone in the squad will have to tell you what type of hits she had.

I was waiting in the next squad when that went down. The CSO had run 4-5 of the squad through and noticed they all had taken 3 shots on the same targets. He called The MD over explained what was going on He watched one person shoot it and gave her a FTDR when she put 3 zeros on a wide open 5 yd target. The others had already signed their score sheets.

In regards to the one DQ, here's an expaination from another forum:
There was only one DQ. A shooter finished the match and went back to his car and loaded his gun. Then he walked around and went into the vendor and lunch area with no cover. It was a Cold Range and he was DQ'd.

Yep he was done shooting. One of my friends saw him with his loaded gun on his belt (no cover garment) and warned him about the cold range. About an hour or so later someone official saw him with on and DQ'd him for a hot gun on a cold range.

:surprise: Sevigny is shooting CDP? Woooo! I wonder if anybody can take him to the end on that platform. How is Taran doing?

Taran's squad was shooting in our bay right after the lunch break and I enjoyed meeting and talking briefly with him although I can't add much about how the match was going for him as the conversation some how drifted to one about reality TV. :) other than to say that he had one of the fastest runs of the match on the coffin stage.

Kevin

Thank you to everyone involved.

The flow, SOs and stages were great.

Ted - you did a fantastic job.

It was a pleasure to see so many old friends and meet so many new ones. I'm looking forward to next year.

Craig

Here's a couple of things from my Nationals Experience, I always paste except when I'm on deck (I wait on the line) if the SO says that a target is scored and there is a hit on a non threat that that he missed,(it happened) what to do? I'm not going to tell on my shooting bro and hurt his score, but don't feel right just pasting it up, but they did say that the target was scored, how do I know what they wrote? The shooter stepped up and told the SO but if the SO is not on his game, o well?

On stage one, 6 one shot, reduced size targets, in tac priority from out in the open I had a nice 6.2ish down 0 run but I shot the last three tatgets out of order (should be center, L, R, or R, L,) I went R to L 1-2-3 and as soon as I broke the last shot I knew what I did, my head went down and basicly told on my self. The other shooters on my squad said that the SO did not catch the PE untill I told, they say deny untill you are sure you can't.

I guess the issue is, while shooting is it us vs them? I take it like a man when its deserved but hey, every one likes a break.

BTW I'm a SO/MD too!

I guess the issue is, while shooting is it us vs them? I take it like a man when its deserved but hey, every one likes a break.

BTW I'm a SO/MD too!

I don't volunteer my mistakes, but I won't deny if asked.

At a regional I caught a speed reload, asked the shooter what was up with that reload and he just smiled and said "I was hoping you didn't catch that"

Edited by Greg Bell

Congrats to Donnie for the overall HOA. I was on his squad and he shot a flawless match, it really was something to see.

FYI - there was a chrono that shooters' equipment was tested on right after completing the standards stage (stage 14). They didn't chrono any shooters on Wednesday (SO's and a few early competitors) but started it on Thursday about mid-morning. They used 2 CED chronos under direct sunlight and they appeared to run about 30-50 fps low. Donnie actually almost didn't make minor and then they started using a Shooting Chrony to double check which read consistently 20-35 fps faster.

Jeff

Our squad was not chrono'd

The stage in question was Stage 6, written and lived by Walt Rauch. There are two targets to the right of the car engaged from cover while standing. Then, the shooter must go prone and shoot out the black leg of each far target. When the leg is hit, the target falls sideways and the shooter must put two rounds into the cardboard. There's no specified order for the far targets other than the leg must be shot before the cardboard. It was a fun stage with a trap set for revolver shooters.

Very interesting stage. I'm just curious how we can make a shooter shoot a non scored prop to activate the shoot targets? Both safely and within the rules? That seems to be like a club that had us stab a paper target with a knife before drawing the gun(I'm fine with that part) but, they scored the knife stab as down zero, down 1 or down 3 WTF this is a gun fight not a knife fight. The rules are hazy about the shape of a steel target and about requiring hits on non scored targets. Just wondering about this.

I gotta wonder...in CDP, I've heard that Sevigny shot a G21SF; I wonder if Olhasso shot an XD and Langdon an M&P? If so, it could mean the end of 1911 domination as we know it.

Olhasso took CDP Division Champion with an XD-45. Sevigny shot a Glock 21SF and is 1st Place CDP Master. Langdon shot an M&P45 and won 2nd Place CDP Master. So, the top three CDP shooters all ran plastic guns.

I was on the same squad as Sevigny, Langdon, Carrell, Vogel and Warren. Talk about a treat getting to watch those guys (not to mention Randi Rogers - "Holy Terror" to SASS shooters is now the "IDPA Lady National Champion")! I think seeing how those people did it helped me significantly with my shooting at the match.

It was also interesting to see how friendly those guys are to each other, but also non-stop analytical of each other. It seemed like they knew at any given moment exactly how many seconds they were behind/ahead of each other. I'm used to my personal style of analysis, which is "well, I know I haven't wet myself on any stage yet..."

Our squad did not get run through the chrono (we shot Friday PM and Saturday AM). I was told that the results were too inconsistent to be reliable.

And except for 10 minutes of rain on Friday, it was a great match.

- Jim

Edited by Gryff

Very interesting stage. I'm just curious how we can make a shooter shoot a non scored prop to activate the shoot targets? Both safely and within the rules?...The rules are hazy about the shape of a steel target and about requiring hits on non scored targets. Just wondering about this.

I'm guessing that the two metal bars supporting the swingers were considered targets. I know that from your prone firing position, you could not see the paper targets until you had shot their feet out and made the targets swing down onto their sides.

I felt terrible for one of the guys on my squad who went completely dry trying to hit those bars. You couldn't help feel for him when he realized that he just shot through his last mag (exacerbated by the fact that not only were Sevigny and Langdon squadded with us, but that we had 20-30 people watching us at any given moment on Friday).

An small, but interesting aspect of that Stage was the decision to reload or not before going prone. At the start signal, you engaged two targets with two rounds each, then went prone. If you shoot the stage clean, then you need to only expend 10 rounds (four paper, two metal "legs"). But if you have more than one miss on those legs and didn't tac-reload before going prone, then you are going to have to do a prone reload (those legs were 3" wide, angled away from you, and about 10 yards down range...not the biggest targets in the world). If you are ESP or SSP, do you tac-reload or not before going prone? I saw lots of competitors take the insurance and reload before going down, but ironically, I didn't pay attention when the superstars on my squad (Sevigny, Langdon, etc.) went through the stage. Again, minor but interesting.

-Jim

I thought the match was ok. I have shot better this year but I did make an improvement over last year. I had a ball with my squad but then I knew most of them. It's always good to see old friends and make some new ones. Plus, I did win a gun and some ammo so that's a good thing. Congrats to the winners and to the losers (of which I am one)-back to work!

My perspective of the match.... GREAT!

Thanks, Ted! And Thanks everyone that worked the match!

It was my first Nationals in any sport, and I really enjoyed the event.

Many of the stages were very quick and simple. The real key to surviving the match was not hanging yourself! The stages offered many places where you weren't going to gain on the competition with blazing speed, but you could easily kill your score with a bad shot (the single head shot stage with a no-shoot crowding the target and only 1 round in the gun, or the little legs on the floppers where a miss could mean a reload, etc). Subtle traps and shooting challenges were everywhere and Ted and the crew had a good balance of quick stages and "field" courses. Standards are usually my weakness and I spent a LOT of time and ammo trying to turn that weakness into a strength in the weeks leading up to the match, and it paid off with the standards being such a large chunk of the score. That one stage could really make or break the match and tested a lot of fundamentals (SHO/WHO/reloads/20-yd/barricades/sequences/etc).

The match seemed well organized and we pretty much stayed on schedule (at least on Thurs when I was there).

-rvb

(Ryan B.)

Edited by rvb

I don't think it's been mentioned yet that one of the highlights of the match was during the awards ceremony where Ted thanked the host club and its key members for all their hard work and cooperation, even though they are a USPSA affiliate and not an IDPA club. I believe his words were "look what can happen when we work together." If you know Ted Murphy, you know they were said with great sincerity.

Kevin

we kept pretty good tabs on how long it took us to get a squad through on Bay 5 (stages 8 and 9).

If everyone helped paste and reset the steel and the peek-a-boo moving/swinging target, we could get a squad of 11 through in about a half hour plus. Okay, about 37 minutes from the start of the walk through til the entire squad was walking off to the next bay.

If we had a group of 13 come through, we'd still have 'em outta there in under 45 minutes.

The match booklet had a schedule in it where each squad was arriving at each bay on the hour.

For that one squad who showed up to our bay when it first started raining real hard for 15 minutes or so, we still had plenty of time to spare in that hour to get 'em through the stages once it stopped raining. Bonus for them in that they didn't have to shoot with bags over the targets and/or in the rain.

Great match, my first nationals and I really enjoyed it. One question though. What did people think of the Newbold targets? My squad had trouble with them in regards to bullets going right through them without them falling over. This happened to a few shooters in my squad. You could see them move and spin as they were hit but they did not go down. On stage 2 we were told they had to fall and mine spun about 45 degrees and I went back and shot it again before I advanced. Then a few shooters later the same thing happened and the shooter kept on going. The SO said it moved and gave him credit for the hit. I'm not going to argue for a penalty for another shooter but I would rather not see them again at this level.