Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&B Cases

Wandering Man

What's with the S&B cases? The ones with the red on the primer?

I had my first primer pop today. Fortunately it was only the one primer that blew. It was on an S&B case.

I'd noticed before that while making 9mm rounds I would occassionally have primer go in with difficultly, making a crunching sound as it went in. I just thought it was a random event. Then yesterday, after making a bunch of rounds with cases I collected at the range, I noticed that it was the S&B cases that crunched. Several had brass shavings hanging out the bottom of the case.

I now have a new rule. If its red on the bottom it goes back to the range empty.

WM

Edited by Wandering Man

S&B brass is very good brass IMO. I can tell S&B when I re-size it on my single stage by the feel. It does have very tight primer pockets with almost no chamfer on the pocket. I use a Hornady crimp remover to cut a slight chamfer on the pocket to help the primer go in easier.

That said, If you don't want your S&B, feel free to send it to me. I'll give it a nice warm home!

decent brass, when I get it I throw it in a Military pile along with other crimped primer brass, once I get a coffee can full I'll deprime with my old lee press and sit in front of TV and ream it with a lyman hand held primer.

S&B brass is very good brass IMO. I can tell S&B when I re-size it on my single stage by the feel. It does have very tight primer pockets with almost no chamfer on the pocket. I use a Hornady crimp remover to cut a slight chamfer on the pocket to help the primer go in easier.

That said, If you don't want your S&B, feel free to send it to me. I'll give it a nice warm home!

My range has given me brass bucket dipping priviledges. So every time I go to the range I come home with a bunch of brass. .40 and 9mm seems to be the most popular at the range. I don't load .40's so they go back, along with other misc stuff. I now have enough 9mm that I won't be needing to collect it for a while.

Since I seem to be 9mm affluent, I can afford to simply send the S&B's back to the range range bucket rather than spending the extra time with them.

Thanks for confirming my observation that S&B needs special treatment.

WM

I know I have to ream the primer pockets on S&B .45 brass, but it's good to go after that.

I've heard here that their .40 brass is garbage so I don't use it. I don't have much of it around, so I've never tried to find out exactly what the problem is.

Federal NT is a frigging nightmare, so I avoid it like the plague it is. Same with Amerc.

While I only use the thin-walled Remington .45 brass with cast bullets, there's no problem with their .40 brass.

Never had a problem with the SB brass. I guess i am not as fussy as some. I have only ever had problems with A-merc, that goes straight to the gargage. I have used alot of the fedeal NT, and have yet to experience a problem. Now I am not saying this brass is perfect, and I would not use it for a match, but it works fine for practice, or club matches. Now When it comes to Match brass, I would only consider starline, Rem, or Winchester.

The primer pockets on S&B brass (at least in some calibers) seem to be slightly smaller than other brands. The easy solution is to use S&B primers, which are slightly smaller.

I used S&B brass for my weak wadcutter .38 target loads, but the number of cracked cases far exceeded anything I've seen with other brands, so now just toss anything stamped S&B.

I had trouble getting primers to seat properly, if at all, in S&B 45acp cases. I had a little better luck after I used a chamfering tool on the primer pocket. But, I finally set all the S&B cases aside and loaded them separately, and I was still only able to successfully load about half of them.

I'll stick with Winchester or Remington cases, as I have experienced no problems with either of them.

Michael

True. The really CRAP brass comes from the US companies that simply PUNCH the primer pocket into place, which, while cheaper & making home- priming slightly easier, leaves a nasty raised ridge inside the case. This may not matter too much for pistol ammo, but the bench rest crowd must spend time bringing any US brass up to Euro specs by uniforing this sloppy ridge.

S&B's pockets are machined properly from the get-go. The machining process does leave a cleanly-machined edge that does sometimes catch a primer edge - especially in a poorly set up press (have you shecked your press?). The S&B brass is of such high quality & strength that I often save it just for use with 9mm Major. Don't confuse "easy to prime" with "quality."

I started out shooting USPSA before I got a reloader using S&B because it was one of the cheaper factory loadings at the time. I shot a couple cases of it, mostly at an indoor range, and saved all the brass. I was getting 10+ reloadings out of the .40 brass before seeing any splits or issues. I never wore the headstamps off, but I had plenty that had been tumbled so much that the older tell tale extractor marks disappeared. I never had to rework a primer pocket either. As far as I'm concerned, the brass is great.

My point is, if you're experience with it is from picking it up at the range, who knows. Maybe the guy before you shot it out of an unsupported chamber, maybe someone overworked it reloading it before you got it. If you don't know the history of it, don't blame the brass. They may have had some bad lots make it through, but I've been fortunate enough to see a lot of good stuff come from them.

S&B in .45 is great stuff, especially by the 3rd loading.

S&B in .40 is mostly ok.

S&B in 9mm is a PITA. It's not that it won't work in the end and run reliably in the gun, but it's like having a press with intermittent malfunctions unless you spend more time than you want prepping cases.

S&B in 9mm is a PITA. It's not that it won't work in the end and run reliably in the gun, but it's like having a press with intermittent malfunctions unless you spend more time than you want prepping cases.

I do ok with their .40 brass as well, but the 9MM, well, that's another story. Why wrestle with it? I just keep chucking it off to the side, as I am tired of crushing primers. It is definitely way down on the totem pole for preferred 9MM brass.

Please send all your unwanted S&B brass to me.

Hey now Eric... I asked first!! :lol:

Sorry man....didn't mean to horn in on your action. BTW, your girlfriend says "hi." :lol:

Hey, if somebody's getting some from her, have at it!! :cheers: