Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson "S.N.L." +1 Plus basepad

Dawson Precision

...The SNL pad will not work on 170mm tubes. I know some will try it , I am just relaying what Dave told me.

In the back corner of a poorly lit, swelteringly hot garage, a mad scientist, driven by the gods of Dremel and file, sweat beading and dripping off the brow onto his work, will figure out some way to make it work, legal or not! :D

Hey, I put a 'Just Right' kit onto a 170 for a 3-gun Mech-Tech mag. Works and holds 30+.. :goof:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got my new Dawson Precision "S.N.L." +1 Plus Basepads this morning.

Woo-hoo! This is the BOMB! 21 rounds easy and it fits "the gauge".

Dave is gonna sell a million of these! :cheers:

-Chet

Chet,

what kind of mag bodies are you using? thanks

that is sweet. What "guts" are you using? Will these be legal with SPS mag bodies?

I am using Dawson springs and followers.

I have no idea if SPS tubes will be legal with this base pad.

-Chet

What is the MM length of your STI mags? Thanks!

Edited by FullRace

that is sweet. What "guts" are you using? Will these be legal with SPS mag bodies?

I am using Dawson springs and followers.

I have no idea if SPS tubes will be legal with this base pad.

-Chet

What is the MM length of your STI mags? Thanks!

He is using 140mm. Look at post 29.

He is using 140mm. Look at post 29.

The "140mm tubes" aren't actually 140mm long, though... ;) They're a tad shorter, which is why you can actually put a basepad on them and still fit the gauge...

A "140' tube is actually about 138mm, they are sold as '140' since they are 140mm or close to it with a basepad on them. USPSA allows a margin of 1.25mm OVER 140 and the mag is still legal to use, they did it for manufacturing tolerances in the mag tubes and basepads. Now we (shooters) are trying to take advantage of that leeway and get every round possible. Companies like Dawson are providing the parts we need to take things to the absolute maximum, and possibly just a bit over. It has always been the responsibility of the shooter to make sure their gear is compliant with the rules.

Got two in yesterday, but was out of town, so as I'm sitting here with my morning cuppa Joe, here's what I've found.

I've got seven mags and a guage I got through EGW. All mags with Dawson +1 pads pass the guage. Bought two pads and just tried both pads on all seven mags. Here are the results.

Mag 1 tuned by Brazos. Passes with both pads.

Mag 2 tuned by HSMITH. Passes with both pads.

Mag 3 "tuned" by Me. Fails with both pads.

Mag 4 "tuned" by Me. Fails with both pads.

Mag 5 tuned by Dawson. Fails with both pads.

Mag 6 tuned by HSMITH. Fails with both pads.

Mag 7 tuned by HSMITH. Passes with both pads.

In all cases that the mags failed, they JUST fail and five minutes with a stone on the very top/back edges of the feed lips and they'll pass easily.

I havent conducted the most important test, how many rounds, I'll post that after work today, and try and borrow a camera so I can post some pics of how close the failed mags are to passing. There's no doubt in my mind that all seven mags will pass with no adverse affect on the feed lips as we are just talking about a very little bit of the very back of the lips.

More to follow after work.

If nobody else gets around to it, I'll pester Dave and abuse his height gauge next time I get by that way.

The SNL's seem to add about 1.5mm in exterior length versus a Dawson +1 pad, but without an official gauge you can't tell for sure if they're legal or not. They are different internally, so more space than that is actually added on the inside.

Guys I'm curious to how many rounds your getting? 20 reloadable is no problem on mine but I don't see starting with 22 (21+1) with out cracking the grip?

DAWSON: what is your secret? I've tried with your plus 1 follower, STI spring, Grams guts and I can't see doing it with out cutting some coils?

Guys I'm curious to how many rounds your getting? 20 reloadable is no problem on mine but I don't see starting with 22 (21+1) with out cracking the grip?

DAWSON: what is your secret? I've tried with your plus 1 follower, STI spring, Grams guts and I can't see doing it with out cutting some coils?

In my 170 STI Gram guts, I was getting 28+1 and now I get 29 +1 dunno if they fit the gauge yet, but look okay measured with calipers.

Jim

Just got 3 of them in from Chuck that I just ordered on Friday. Don't have my gauge yet so right now I'm just judging capacity. The pads turned my 3 tuned mags all into 20 reloadable with some room vs. just barely 20 reloadable. Although there's no way I'm getting 21 in any of them as it stands now. All three had Grams pads and still have Grams springs/followers; I may try ordering some Dawson springs/followers to see if that gets the extra round. The surprise of the day is that with the SNL pads my 2 completely stock untuned STI mags are also now 20 reloadable (maybe, could def start with 20).

As long as they fit the gauge I'll be happy with what I'm getting out of them because things were a little tight before. That said I'm still going to try the Dawson guts to see if I can get the extra round in there.

Got my three from Chuck on Friday. Put them on three Brazo tuned mags but only got 20 reloadable. I am believe that is has a gram follower and i am not sure which spring. I believe that they will fit the guage but I really won't know until I find someone with one to measue them. 20 Reloadable is better than 19 reloadable for now. :)

Just got 3 of them in from Chuck that I just ordered on Friday. Don't have my gauge yet so right now I'm just judging capacity. The pads turned my 3 tuned mags all into 20 reloadable with some room vs. just barely 20 reloadable. Although there's no way I'm getting 21 in any of them as it stands now. All three had Grams pads and still have Grams springs/followers; I may try ordering some Dawson springs/followers to see if that gets the extra round. The surprise of the day is that with the SNL pads my 2 completely stock untuned STI mags are also now 20 reloadable (maybe, could def start with 20).

As long as they fit the gauge I'll be happy with what I'm getting out of them because things were a little tight before. That said I'm still going to try the Dawson guts to see if I can get the extra round in there.

Should have had me send you a gauge also. I carry them. I have the Dawson Followers also but I beleive he is just using factory STI springs.

Should have had me send you a gauge also. I carry them. I have the Dawson Followers also but I beleive he is just using factory STI springs.

Didn't think about it until after the fact; I'll be shooting you over another order for a gauge and followers here shortly.