Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grand Power - STI

dkjuspsa

Has anyone in Europe or Canada shot a Grand Power K100 in IPSC? It will be newly imported to the USA later this year and I was wondering if it can compete with the likes of the M&P and the XD. I know the gun is already on the IPSC aproved list.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys,

I too found the look of the K100 confronting ! :unsure:

But a couple of members at my club have them and enjoy competing with them.

I've been a Glock shooter since 1988 and recently swithched to a M&P 9mm.

I actually was impressed with the pistol when I had the opportunity to shoot one.

The trigger pull is quite good and the reset is fantastic. A fibre optic sight was fitted to this pistol - not sure if it was factory or not.

A bit more muzzle rise than a Glock or M&P on firing but not as much as my Beretta 92.

The pistol seems good value selling for about AUS$600 here compared to $750 for a G17A or $950 for an M&P.

Worth a look and in my opinion a better pistol than an XD.

Kirby.

From their Website:

The K100 uses a rare locking system, shared by the Beretta Cougar, PX4 Storm, and Brügger & Thomet MP9 which employs a rotating barrel lock, which in the K100's case is cammed by a cross pin. When the pistol is fired the barrel and slide move backward together for about 3/8ths of an inch while the barrel is cammed counterclockwise by a flat, twisting, helical "cut" in the barrel extension. Once the barrel and slide have moved back to the point where the barrel has twisted about 45 degrees to the left, the slide is free to continue traveling back while the barrel's travel is arrested by its interface to the frame via the barrel extension. On the K100 the Beretta's barrel extension cam cut and cam tooth are replaced by a frame-embedded crosspin and a barrel extension "cut" with rounded surfaces which engage it. As such, there is no transfer block per sec, and the barrel and barrel extension directly interface with the frame via the crosspin.

I'm wondering just how well that crosspin will hold up to tens of thousands of rounds?

Doesn't look too half bad. I would definetly get the Double action trigger worked over like no other. I have an EAA witness that has the DA trigger worked and runs awsome.

Wouldn't the quick action with pre-cocked hammer spring be the hot ticket?

• 1 month later...

Grandpower, Ltd.

Video of STI 9mm

Various videos of Grand Power guns

info from STI's SkinnErgrams #102

O.K.! I saved the best for last this time and still may be premature in this announcement. Here goes, anyway!

STI International, Inc. of Georgetown, TX and Grand Power s.r.o. of Banska Bystrica, Slovakia officially announce their Business Alliance!

That�s about the most formal I have ever gotten in a SkinnErgram and it felt pretty good!

I�ve had conversations with many of you throughout this year alluding to some big things in the works for our future product lines. This is one of them!

First, the easy part of this deal to explain: Grand Power has agreed to represent and distribute STI International products throughout many of the old "Warsaw Pact" countries and several other countries where we have no representation or contacts. We welcome the entire Grand Power group into the STI family. They are a fine group of people with a series of innovative products and a well grounded understanding of the international import/export firearms business.

Now for the more involved portion of our side of the explanation. As mentioned above, GP currently manufactures, and to some extent exports, a varied product line of semi-automatic pistols. Additionally, STI�s personnel have suggested and GP personnel have concurred on some upgrades and/or new products, some of which we will discuss here.

Probably the easiest way to start is to direct you to the Grand Power website so that you may become generally familiar with the GP named products.

http://www.grandpower.eu

NOW, in no particular order, here are the things that STI and their network gain from this relationship.

1. STI will be representing GP in all those countries where STI currently has representation, actually in competition with current GP Distributors in those areas where GP already has exposure.

2. STI will be the exclusive distributor for GP in the U.S.

3. GP will be building some of their products exclusively for STI and STI�s Distribution network, worldwide, that will not be available through GP�s normal network.

4. To save on shipping costs, STI Distributors may purchase both GP standard products and STI specific products (built by GP) directly from GP at the STI Distributor, volume negotiated, price. This is highly recommended for all business you European folks will be doing under this program.

5. All U.S. and Canadian orders should come through the US. Orders for less than 100 units for Australia and most of Asia should be directed through us here in the US. These orders for less than 100 will be consolidated with your normal shipments. Orders for more than 100 units from Australia and most of Asia may be taken directly to GP for the shipping savings. Your prices do not vary with your order entry or shipping point.

6. Currently ONLY the GP product, the K100, has been approved by the U.S. B.A.T.F for import into (or through) this country, so that will be the first product available here or, in quantities of less than 100, to Australia and most of Asia. The GP product, the P1, has been submitted for approval. Those are the only two GP specific products that are being submitted at this time. For all other GP specific products you must go directly to GP, regardless of quantity, for the time being.

7. The only current product that we will call STI specific is the GP6. This is (what we consider) an upgrade to the K100 which STI has contributed to. It is currently available to ALL of you except the U.S. and Canada, directly from GP for the moment. Samples have been submitted to the BATF for approval for import and we have every confidence that the approval will happen without delay. This product, like all STI specific products, will not be available outside of STI�s distribution stream.

8. The next STI specific product will be called the GP7. We won�t discuss this one in depth right now because of pending patents. I honestly expect this one to not be available for 8-9 months. (Maybe 11 in the U.S. and Canada, depending on the approval cycle.)

This is a "for real" opportunity for many of you and Grand Power is a "for real" company experienced in firearm manufacturing. Mike Voigt and I have been there. We have toured the GP facility and all of their vendor�s facilities. We have been with them when they demonstrated their products to law enforcement agencies in Slovakia. We have inspected and test fired samples directly off the production line.

Additionally, I was present in Cheval Blanc, France last month when the Slovak Team won the Production Division portion of the IPSC Level IV European Championship. While I was there, we exhibited a STI GP6 and allowed other country�s teams and individuals to test the new model. All were pleased and pronounced it to be a better gun than the ones they were currently using. No one was appalled by the price.

We look forward to a long, pleasant, and profitable relationship with Grand Power and we are sure that you will be pleased with the products we bring you, together! Website updates and pictures to follow shortly.

I played with the one at the EHC. Not bad (it still had a not-final trigger and sights), but I don't think it'll make all the others obsolete overnight. It'll be more of an issue in IPSC where the 19-round mags will have an advantage over the 16-17-round guns.

• 2 months later...

The Grand Power is now going to be imported by STI International and they have decided to import the updated version of the K100 called GP6.

I think there trying to duplicate the success that Springfield has gotton on there XD.

I had the pleasure to meet the Irish importer of Grand Power products late last year.

He gave me two models to try and more ammo than I could use.

It was a very over cast day, too dull to use my chrono.

There was about the same muzzle rise as with my STI .40 but because I couldn't chrono the ammo I didn't learn as much as I should have.

al

Yes it would be impossible to judge accurately, unless you were using ammo with an equal power factor.

It would be great to compare an XD, M&P, and a Grand Power side by side with the same ammo!

Sorry but I don't care for the Glock's

Edited by dkjuspsa

Did anybody watch the dis-assembly video? Trigger guard is on a hinge and breaks down. Kinda makes you go hhhmmmm....... I still would buy one though. Anybody have inside info what STI will charge for this ride?

DaG