Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Idiots w/firearms

outerlimits

People think that just because they have a gun, they know about gun safety. If the safety is on and its unloaded, its alright to point the thing around. Wrong!

That reminds me of skiing and snowboarding.....oh, my friend, or boyfriend, or roommate knows how to snowboard or ski, so they will teach me. Just cause you own something and use something, doesn't mean you know how to teach it or know all about it. Then I convince the people that skiing and snowboarding is a lot of fun, and if you take a lesson from someone who is trained to teach it, you will not fall 10-20 times a day, and you should not be doing intermediate and advanced runs on your first day.

I have seen guys at their first IDPA match. They have owned and shot guns all their life, they have a CCW permit and carry concealed. They get to the firing line....the buzzer goes off....the gun is pointed and they pull the trigger, then they realize the thumb safety is still on on their 1911.

People think that just because they have a gun, they know about gun safety. If the safety is on and its unloaded, its alright to point the thing around. Wrong!

That reminds me of skiing and snowboarding.....oh, my friend, or boyfriend, or roommate knows how to snowboard or ski, so they will teach me. Just cause you own something and use something, doesn't mean you know how to teach it or know all about it. Then I convince the people that skiing and snowboarding is a lot of fun, and if you take a lesson from someone who is trained to teach it, you will not fall 10-20 times a day, and you should not be doing intermediate and advanced runs on your first day.

I have seen guys at their first IDPA match. They have owned and shot guns all their life, they have a CCW permit and carry concealed. They get to the firing line....the buzzer goes off....the gun is pointed and they pull the trigger, then they realize the thumb safety is still on on their 1911.

Makes you wonder if evolution runs both ways....

I am for more gun control laws. Anybody caught doing what this guy did should loose their right to own guns forever. I almost agree with a mandated safety course before one buys or owns or shoots their first firearm. He came so close to killing his kid. I wonder if he comprehends that at all.

IPSC shooters are the safest. We practice unload & show clear even during informal practice on our range. Even if we are alone shooting, its a process ingrained in our minds.

So, I gotta ask, if you just did the stupidist thing you could possibly do with a firearm....WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU PUT IT ON THE INTERNET!!!!!!

Thank you!!!! You were reading my mind. Words cannot even begin ...... never mind :angry2:

Tom

Heard on the radio this AM:

"Survey of teenage drivers revealed that 98% of them thought of themselves as "Good Drivers." The SAME survey revealed that 56% of the teenagers thought that many of their friends are bad or even dangerous drivers.

Wonder how many gun owners would consider themselves to be "safe shooters" ??

These people give gun owners such a bad name, there is no reason why that should have happened. I am just about ready to get on the boat as far as a required safety course before you buy your first gun. Here in PA you don't need anything for your CCL, just go down to the court house then swing by the cop shop and 2 weeks later you have your CCL; I do believe that is very wrong.

So, I gotta ask, if you just did the stupidist thing you could possibly do with a firearm....WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU PUT IT ON THE INTERNET!!!!!!

Thank you!!!! You were reading my mind. Words cannot even begin ...... never mind :angry2:

Because all of the liability laws have prevented natural selection from taking place... Stupid people are living long enough to breed, now.... :surprise:

I am for more gun control laws. Anybody caught doing what this guy did should loose their right to own guns forever. I almost agree with a mandated safety course before one buys or owns or shoots their first firearm. He came so close to killing his kid. I wonder if he comprehends that at all.

IPSC shooters are the safest. We practice unload & show clear even during informal practice on our range. Even if we are alone shooting, its a process ingrained in our minds.

How can you say IPSC shooters are the safest? Have you participated in the other shooting sports? I have participated in IDPA for 10 years, and have never seen this type activity. We do not allow folks to participate with these type behaviors. I shoot Skeet & Sporting Clays regularly, and we would never allow this type behavior.

There are many shooting groups who would never allow or agree with this type behavior, not just IPSC. Good on you for your organization's safety program, but to say they are the safest is assuming the rest is just not the same. NOT TRUE.

Johnny Van Etta

How can you say IPSC shooters are the safest? Have you participated in the other shooting sports? I have participated in IDPA for 10 years, and have never seen this type activity. We do not allow folks to participate with these type behaviors. I shoot Skeet & Sporting Clays regularly, and we would never allow this type behavior.

There are many shooting groups who would never allow or agree with this type behavior, not just IPSC. Good on you for your organization's safety program, but to say they are the safest is assuming the rest is just not the same. NOT TRUE.

Johnny Van Etta

Because in my opinion they are the safest. I have been around allot of different types of shooting and from what I have seen IPSC is the safest. Doesnt mean there arent others that equal IPSC. Guess what I was thinking is if this guy had had any type of IPSC experience that most likely would not have happened. I am sorry I spurred the resentment toward IPSC that is common amongst IDPA shooters. I didnt mean for it to go that way since that is completely against this forums rules.

IDPA is part of the family. I'm sure Chuck was including all the action shooting sports that share a common background and virtually identical saftey philosophies, range rules and commands and, as a result, essentially identical stellar safety records.

spelling edit

Edited by kevin c

Scary video. That's why I hate to see anything shooting related on those kinds of sites.

+1 to Chuck's comments on the safety of USPSA shooters. Locally I have seen a difference between USPSA and other shooting sports, some who tend to attract newer shooters and various wannabees, which means they have to deal with more problems that have nothing to do with their established shooters or rules. Just what I've seen personally.