Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Girlfriend moved out

stingerjg

Under the heading of it could be worse I will share my tale of woe.

Was separated from the now ex wife for a couple of months and still working toward

what is euphemistically called "equitable distribution". No hostility and everyone appears

reasonable. I take off to Costa Rica to fish for a couple of weeks with friends and return

to find every gun I own except two are missing. The ex claims immediately that they were

stolen. I call the police and they meet me at the house to investigate the "robbery".

Long story short, the police assure me that there was no robbery. A couple of the guns

were family heirlooms and obviously can not be replaced. After getting the back story

from her friends it seems that she took exception to the idea that I was enjoying my

reprieve from a living hell. I was supposed to be miserable even though the separation

was her idea.

That aside two years later I am still single, happier than ever and prefer the company of

my dog.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Justin,

Not that I think you will, but a great movie to watch to prevent the backslide would be Swingers. Great movie in general, but a good lesson in what to do when the ex calls when you've moved on...and they always do when you have.

Rich

Whatever you do, don't stop shooting matches. Here comes my ongoing saga. I'm hesitant to post this, but I believe this is the proper time and place to get it out there as I believe it will help.

Got up at 5:00 am Sunday after the L10 Nats, hungover, drove the five hours back home because I was so excited to see my wife. Got home, she was napping, hopped in bed so happy that I got to hold her. That's when she hit me with the "D" word. I was absolutely devastated. She left because I spent too much time with the shooting. I offered to stop the shooting 100%, no go. We split our stuff, she moved out, and I moped around beating myself up for being a bad husband. Shot a local match a few weeks later, it was the match of a lifetime. I got to finally forget about her for a few hours and spend time with other people that I liked. That's when I started to see that it wasn't all my fault, she had her problems too. A few weeks go by and every day is getting better. I go and shoot Area 1, not that I even wanted to, I just knew I would regret it if I didn't. Again, the match of a lifetime. I went with the goal of calling all of my shots and leaving the divorce bs behind for three days and it worked, I had a great time and walked away with the L10 Championship. Monday when I got home, I stumbled upon some evidence of her and one of my best friends. Rock bottom again. Confronted the friend on Friday, talked all night. There was nothing going on between them. Had a wonderful day yesterday, I was finally ready to start moving on. Happened upon a great deal on a washer and dryer and a new lamp. Got some yard work done and loaded some ammo. It was the first time since she left that my heart rate was down to normal and I didn't feel like puking. Had a great meal that evening, I've lost 20 pounds since she left and when you start out at 168 pounds, that's a big deal. Went out and had a couple of drinks with the friend, then got a phone call. It was the ex's brother, letting me know that something did happen between the two. Went back to the friends place and he told me everything. He convinced my wife to leave me, had an affair with her, then wouldn't break up with his girlfriend to be with her. It took everything I had to keep from burying him in the desert. I made sure that he knew that his girlfriend was going to find out from him last night, or from me today. I laid in bed all night, no sleep. Finally fell asleep long enough to have a horrible dream. I got up and got ready for a local match. Another great match. Not as good as the last two, but I shot great. I kept my mind off of things, I kept focused on the shooting. I got to spend a few hours with people that I like, that don't know what is going on, and that aren't acting strange around me. It was wonderful. The shooting is what is keeping me sane. My family is sure helping, but without the shooting, I don't know where I would be. I'm starting to see that I wasn't a horrible husband, she made it sound that way to justify her actions to herself and all our friends. I am going to be better off, I'm learning who my true friends are, and I am becoming part of my family again. It hurts and it's embarrassing, but I'm starting to see that I will move on with much stronger friendships and much closer ties to my family.

I hope that this didn't come across as, "it could be worse", that was not my intention. I just hope that you will be able to take something from this that will help you in your own situation. Stay busy, keep up the shooting, and do your best to just totally forget about her at every opportunity.

"It was the ex's brother, letting me know that something did happen between the two."

This is the guy you should be buying drinks for.

====================

Best wishes to both you and Stinger on your rehabilitation.

I hate to be the one to say it, but that is a heck of a lot better than suddenly coming home and finding that your girlfriend moved in on you !

I can joke because I've been in your shoes. Even though I felt crushed, it came to be the luckiest day of my life. I just didn't know it until I met my future wife.

Married 15 years officailly, actually divorce began at 13 years (Knew I should have left at least 5 years earlier). I was doing reconstruction in St. Croix after Hurrican Hugo, Out of the country for 13 weeks, Had the job offer of a lifetime, Called home to say why not fly down and lets see, instead I got, So Long Turkey, My Lawyer will be in touch.

Friends got me good and drunk (rum cost less than the coke you mix it with down there) and I never looked back. Met my current wifein October, asked her to marry me in Dec, married in April, 15 years now and the best three things that ever happend in my life. Getting the Divorce, Getting Married to my wife and having our daughter.

I am leaving out a lot of the sorid details as they have no bearing on the outcome, Suffice to say, life is good and good things do tend to happen. Too often we concentrate too hard on the bad things and the good slips by.

Shey left you, she left your stuff, she doesn't get alimony or a settlement, you have no children with her ( I assume). You will find the right girl or she will find you.

Good luck.

Jim

Knightkrawler00

Great post. It totally summed up lots of things that I went thru in my divorce.

It is amazing how people treat you differently thru that time.

Time and activities will heal all!!

+1 on leaving old Bags and moving on with better things

Things always happen for a reason. Even though they may seem insane during the time, it is always for the best! What spins my mind is the opportunities that one passes up because of unspeakable reasons and considerations. Imagine a world, a day when we pursue all things with vigor and vitality that knows no boundaries or limitations!

Did you give her a teddy bear? :cheers::blink: