Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Marine Corp competition team

I believe they have a team stationed at Quantico. I don't believe they have the same mission as the USAMU, which comes under the US Army Recruiting Command, so there's a good chance they get deployed. Right now in the Army, the only thing higher priority than going to the Sandbox is recruiting. Julie Goloski would be a better person to answer this.

The Marine Corps does have a rifle and pistol team. But not quite like the AMU. To the best of my knowledge- they generally only compete in bullseye and the high power rifle matches like at camp perry.

They do have a team. The team concentrates on NRA disciplines such as Bullseye, Service Rifle Etc. They do not compete in USPSA, though some of the guys on the team do come out to shoot some local uspsa matches. They are stationed in Quantico VA currently.

The AMU clearly has their many teams, the Marines have precision teams, the Air Force has Roger Sherman and a few other shooters (they may have others, I dunno), the Border Patrol (non-military) has a USPSA team & a PPC team, and my understanding is the Air Marshals (non-military) are attempting to form a team. I would love to see all these teams continue to grow.

Edited by jasmap

As long as the athletes are actual Servicemembers either enlisted commisioned or warrant. Kinda burns me up to see the "Army" bull rider, race car driver, etc etc and ya got an all civilian team who's only affiliation with the Army is cashing the checks.

As long as the athletes are actual Servicemembers either enlisted commisioned or warrant. Kinda burns me up to see the "Army" bull rider, race car driver, etc etc and ya got an all civilian team who's only affiliation with the Army is cashing the checks.

The Army just got the jump on the other branches of the service...I don't remember anyone crying foul when Lones Wigger was winning all those Olympic and World championship medals.. Same deal here..

As for the guys shooting for the AMU, they better think about making the service a career...caue they won't have any marketable skills when they get finished with their tour..unless they then go back to school..

Edited by tightloop

________

The military throws a couple of Billions of $$ at recruiting each year and sees what sticks to the wall, I would say if a bull rider or race driver, or shooter in the real world can get a great money deal and sponsorship deal out of the government, more power to them. They are finally getting paid for what they are good at.

The military gets what they want, exposure. The shooter or driver or rider, gets what they want and need, money. And getting and staying at the top level takes money, in any sport.

The Army just got the jump on the other branches of the service...I don't remember anyone crying foul when Lones Wigger was winning all those Olympic and World championship medals.. Same deal here..

As for the guys shooting for the AMU, they better think about making the service a career...caue they won't have any marketable skills when they get finished with their tour..unless they then go back to school..

That is so right !!

I shot on the All Navy Pistol team in the late 80's and early 90's. We only saw each other at the Fleet matches, Interservice and Camp Perry. We received no funding and were lucky if we didn't have to take leave to participate. We were given some Eley 10X rimfire ammo and some TZZ ball and wadcutter ammo.

If we won any big matches we were issued a Navy Trophy Award rifle. No prize money . Something about being on the tax payer's dime.

The USMC guys stay on the team for a few years maybe 2 or 3 but then they had to go to the fleet . We even payed our own entry fee's at times.. Most shooter's stayed until they received their Distinguished badge .

But then somebody would so their a## and we would have to deploy again.

After 20 plus years of service 9 years 11 months and 22 days deployed . It was a adventure. I don't think anybody but the Army is looking for USPSA shooters. There is a real war going on . I have no problem with the kids shooting for the Army. What I do have a problem with is each and everyone of them not doing at least one year in a combat zone.

Why should those kids be treated any different than my kid thats on his third tour?

A pouge is a pouge. In the rear with the gear. I don't care if its shooting or golf or volleyball. Everyone should get some of the wondering whats going on at home or the big " Will I die today"

I'll end with Freedom is not free and add some pay more than others. Flame on you Pouges!!!

Edited by IYAOYAS

FWIW, unless I needed immediately specialized skilled workers, I'd hire anybody with an IPSC national championship and nothing else on their resume-- they've successfully demonstrated they know how to learn, and motivate themselves and that's what it takes.

Sort of like a college degree.

;)

I know the AMU IPSC boys turn down paying gigs to teach soldiers shipping out, so I'm thinking ten thousand solders that are pretty good shooters beats one really good GM in a war zone..

FWIW, unless I needed immediately specialized skilled workers, I'd hire anybody with an IPSC national championship and nothing else on their resume-- they've successfully demonstrated they know how to learn, and motivate themselves and that's what it takes.

;)

I know the AMU IPSC boys turn down paying gigs to teach soldiers shipping out, so I'm thinking ten thousand solders that are pretty good shooters beats one really good GM in a war zone..

Thats not the point . I think that everyone should do a little combat time. Yes including you Roy.

;)

Thats not the point . I think that everyone should do a little combat time. Yes including you Roy.

I also know some IPSC National Champions that I wouldn't let in my house much less hire. Dude get a grip. Its just pistol shooting.

]FWIW, unless I needed immediately specialized skilled workers, I'd hire anybody with an IPSC national championship and nothing else on their resume-- they've successfully demonstrated they know how to learn, and motivate themselves and that's what it takes.

;)

The actual point is that the IPSC shooters cut the best deal they could with their perspective employer, Army Recruiting Command. The Navy and their Marines use other marketing routes to try to draw recruits so they do not have anything like the AMU - staying with the genesis of this thread.

[thread drift]

Actually, since they're Soldiers 24/7/365, I'm not sure they have a choice. Training is part of the AMU's mission; if the Army says they're training deploying troops, they don't have the option of saying "Sorry, I've got other plans that weekend". :)

[/thread drift]

Yes it would be nice if each Service had their own type of "AMU". It would also be nice if each Service Academy wasn't too worried about the liability/risk/political correctness to have their own cadet/midshipman IDPA/IPSC/3 gun teams.

S & W hosts a Service Academy "action shooting match" every year around April I think. The Air Force Academy has been too P.C. to put together a team and send it back east for the match.

Arrghhh!!!

I shot on the All Navy Pistol team in the late 80's and early 90's. We only saw each other at the Fleet matches, Interservice and Camp Perry. We received no funding and were lucky if we didn't have to take leave to participate. We were given some Eley 10X rimfire ammo and some TZZ ball and wadcutter ammo.

If we won any big matches we were issued a Navy Trophy Award rifle. No prize money . Something about being on the tax payer's dime.

The USMC guys stay on the team for a few years maybe 2 or 3 but then they had to go to the fleet . We even payed our own entry fee's at times.. Most shooter's stayed until they received their Distinguished badge .

After 20 plus years of service 9 years 11 months and 22 days deployed . It was a adventure. I don't think anybody but the Army is looking for USPSA shooters. There is a real war going on . I have no problem with the kids shooting for the Army. What I do have a problem with is each and everyone of them not doing at least one year in a combat zone.

Why should those kids be treated any different than my kid thats on his third tour?

A pouge is a pouge. In the rear with the gear. I don't care if its shooting or golf or volleyball. Everyone should get some of the wondering whats going on at home or the big " Will I die today"

I'll end with Freedom is not free and add some pay more than others. Flame on you Pouges!!!

Sir - There are no "kids" in the AMU. Every single member is an active duty Soldier in the US Army. We have all signed an oath to defend the Consitution of the United States. I will be sure to pass along your sentiments to the AMU Soldiers that have risked their lives and limbs in combat, and that are now using those valuable skills to enhance future deploying troops. They are now representing the Army in a different way and shouldn't be criticized for their service.

Sir - There are no "kids" in the AMU. Every single member is an active duty Soldier in the US Army. We have all signed an oath to defend the Consitution of the United States. I will be sure to pass along your sentiments to the AMU Soldiers that have risked their lives and limbs in combat, and that are now using those valuable skills to enhance future deploying troops. They are now representing the Army in a different way and shouldn't be criticized for their service.

+1 and thanks to you Lee and all the service members.

Was great seeing you at the Area 8 this last weekend

Alan

Anyone who wears the uniform - from any branch of service in USA - should be respected, some are in the firing line, some are in training, support roles, some in logistics, some in engineering and supplies. Everyone of them contributes, the person in the front line wouldn't stand a chance without the support of the entire service behind him/her.

Whether someone serves in the front should not determine the AMOUNT of respect that they receive.

They ALL deserve ALL the respect.

That's this US citizens opinion.

Anyone who wears the uniform - from any branch of service in USA - should be respected, some are in the firing line, some are in training, support roles, some in logistics, some in engineering and supplies. Everyone of them contributes, the person in the front line wouldn't stand a chance without the support of the entire service behind him/her.

Whether someone serves in the front should not determine the AMOUNT of respect that they receive.

They ALL deserve ALL the respect.

That's this US citizens opinion.

Amen

I feel confident that our front line troops, as a group, have marksmanship skills that would be the envy of most any army in the world.

Some one had to teach them that.

No one is born knowing how to handle a weapon.

Do we honor the trooper and disrespect the trainers?

Tls

Edited by 38superman

You tell 'im, kid!

CW3 (which is why I get to call him "kid") Chuck Edwards