Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Keeping a Glock reliable?

Turbo23

Hey guys and gals,

One of the FNG's to this sport again calling on your wise minds for some advise. LOL :)

I have a glock 35 and have changed the recoil spring to a springco with a 14# spring. Shooting factory winclean 180gr

One day I will have no problems at all, then an other day I will have several. (like this weekend)

I also am having trouble keeping my mags from slide-locking my gun??

A guy at this last match told me that it might be the bullet it self touching the slide lock and doing this??

How do you (tune) your mags so that I can start to focus on shooting and not fixing??

Help please :)

Todd

I hate to do this but I'm going to repeat something I have little personal knowledge of & that is the springco & glocks don't go together well. I've heard that first hand but that is as close as I've been to the situation. Try replacing temporarily your springco with either your stock rod or an aftermarket one & see if your problems don't go away. I have a tungsten in one, a steel in another & stock in the rest & have little trouble. The tungsten rod gun has a 15# spring or it was 15 when new & now is getting way soft. The steel has a 15 that is still pretty good, & the stock ones are just that. The recoil pulse is different but none of the guns seems to be suffering from frame battering. The primary gun--a 35-- has had @35k rds through it since I bought it used.

This is just a suggestion but it is easy to try. I've never had to tune a mag to make it feed in my glocks. I've polished them to make them fall easier but never had one that allowed the bullets to hit the slide lock. I'm pretty confident your problem is the springco.

Good luck, MLM

Hate to say it, but the first thing to check is technique. Glock mags don't need tuning, you just throw them away after a year or two and buy more. There is nothing to rub the slide stop until the follower is at the top, BUT your thumb might very well be hitting it.

As for problems, what kind of problems? Failure to fire, stovepipe jams, nosedive jams, double feeds, no feeds, mag dropping out of the gun, etc.

H.

I have had stove pipes alot. Now with that said, I changed the spring that came with the sprinco (it was a 19 pounder!!) to a 14# and almost stopped the stove piping. With the exception of one last match. But it is the only one a have had since the change for about 300 rounds now?? Now the biggest problem is this slide catch business. Like the gentlemen said above maybe it is me doing it. Never discount the operator?? lol

But it does seem that the shape of the win clean bullet is doing some of this?? I changed to a different profile bullet (same weight) on the last two stages and had no issue then.

But last week in practice I had no problems either?? So just very confused at this point.

Thanks for the help so far guys

- Get rid of the Springco. Put the stock guide rod back in. That should take can of any problems there that aren't technique related.

- I always suggest to swap out the extended slide stop/release with the stock version. It is less likely to get bumped by the shooter's thumbs during recoil.

- Explore and learn good technique for grip and stance. (this is the big one) Check out the grip and stance article from Matt Burkett: Burkett Tips

I will give that a shot.... Kinda hard to swallow for the lost $80 on the rod ya know.. ;)

I acutely have watch Matts video alot!! and think I am doing things his way?? All though not seeing your self on tape or having a friend there to let me know if what I am doing is what I think I am doing.

I will have to be more cautious of this.

If it is me, then changing out the extended controls might fix that 2.. Had not thought of that.

Thanks

Juuuuuuuuuudas Priest!!! Don't you have any sense???

That thread title alone will get you flamed or banned, at least.

Glocks have the same problem 1911 (*GASP*!!!!) have..... shooters and shade trees muck around with them.

Leave them alone, feed them decent stuff and they're usually fine.

If you gotta mess with them, choose your smoth carefully. In my case, no matter which gun, I make sure I am not the guy working on it. :blush:

One other question that I had for your all,

Is I have Dawson base pads running 170mm ISMI mag springs with one ciol cut off (advice givin from sprinco)

My mag springs a very new and seem to be getting a small spiraling affect to them, thus kinda binding in the mag at times or so it may seem.

any experience with this any one?

Make the gun stock again and see how it runs. If you are still having intermittent problems with the slide locking open. check your re-assembly procedure. This type of problem is often caused by an improperly re-installed slide lock lever/locking block pin.

David C ^_^

One other question that I had for your all,

Is I have Dawson base pads running 170mm ISMI mag springs with one coil cut off (advice givin from sprinco)

My mag springs a very new and seem to be getting a small spiraling affect to them, thus kinda binding in the mag at times or so it may seem.

any experience with this any one?

Are you running this gun in Limited? The mag length in Limited is 140mm, not 170mm (which is Open division).

The springs that come with the Dawson base pads (140mm) work quite well.

Hey guys and gals,

One of the FNG's to this sport again calling on your wise minds for some advise. LOL :)

I have a glock 35 and have changed the recoil spring to a springco with a 14# spring. Shooting factory winclean 180gr

One day I will have no problems at all, then an other day I will have several. (like this weekend)

I also am having trouble keeping my mags from slide-locking my gun??

A guy at this last match told me that it might be the bullet it self touching the slide lock and doing this??

How do you (tune) your mags so that I can start to focus on shooting and not fixing??

Help please :)

Todd

Some of it issues may be coming from the WinClean. Our department shoots WinClean for training. When testing new guns, we shoot WinClean until it begins jamming. Then well switch to either regular white box or Ranger. We've noticed that the regular white box or Ranger will function when the WinClean is jamming.

But isn't it cool that the WinClean brass comes out so clean. Almost don't need to polish. :P

Good luck,

Itchy

Edited by itchy

Are you running this gun in Limited? The mag length in Limited is 140mm, not 170mm (which is Open division).

As for this one above Flex. Sprinco told me that I needed to run this spring setup in my 140mm mags to have good round feeds?

I am running in Limited. I have not tried the dawson springs only due to what sprinco told me. Maybe I should give them a try??

Feeling kind like Um Er Du?? Here lol

Itchy...

Some of it issues may be coming from the WinClean. Our department shoots WinClean for training. When testing new guns, we shoot WinClean until it begins jamming. Then well switch to either regular white box or Ranger. We've noticed that the regular white box or Ranger will function when the WinClean is jamming.

- Thanks for the advice here. I did notice that when I run a different brand or white box like you said I have no jams. I just dont have as much of that throught the gun.. and that is only because the winclean seems to be the softest factory load I have found yet. Hense why I real;y want to start to load my self.

Thanks for your time

Todd

If your Glock doesn't love you bring it back to a stock configuration - it will run.

As to magazines - stock magazines will run.

With the mag extensions the springs will tend to take a set after a while. Some do it very quickly.

If you have to run extensions, I run Arredondo's, give the IMSI springs a try - the 170's and cut down a coil or two. You will have to do it a little at a time.

But if you want absolute reliability, run stock stuff.

I have had stove pipes alot. Now with that said, I changed the spring that came with the sprinco (it was a 19 pounder!!) to a 14# and almost stopped the stove piping. With the exception of one last match. But it is the only one a have had since the change for about 300 rounds now??

- Glocks do not need much lubrication, but it does need some. I was getting stove-pipes so I cleaned and lubed it and never had a stove pipe again. Just make sure you don't over lube it (like you would lube a 1911/2111).

- I agree with using the stock recoil springs (especially if you are using factory ammo, you don't need lighter springs). I run a stock recoil spring on a tungsten rod.

- Get rid of the extended slide lock and replace it with the standard non-extended slide lock. I had the same problem with the slide getting prematurely locked back.

- Use the mag spring that came with the Dawson pads, they work fine.

Glocks required the minimal amount of tinkering in order to keep it running. The more tinkering, the more it fails. It runs better with stock parts.

I am running in Limited. I have not tried the dawson springs only due to what sprinco told me. Maybe I should give them a try??

Um...yeah, I think you should. ;):)

Maybe better yet...just put the stock stuff back in the mags/gun and run in Limted-10 until you get these issue ironed out. It sounds like you have a lot going on. If you go back to stock we can start to eliminate things. (I don't know anything about that win-clean ammo, but regular Wincheters white box ammo, sold in Val-u-paks at Walmart, works great.)

Um...yeah, I think you should. ;):)

Maybe better yet...just put the stock stuff back in the mags/gun and run in Limted-10 until you get these issue ironed out. It sounds like you have a lot going on. If you go back to stock we can start to eliminate things. (I don't know anything about that win-clean ammo, but regular Wincheters white box ammo, sold in Val-u-paks at Walmart, works great.)

Flex,

Thanks for your input and every one else's. I like my Glock and was just hoping to find a few was to make it a little better on a budget. In the end I have lost too much time from trying to improve the darn thing. This week I will just go back to basics and call it good.

Thanks again

Todd

...was just hoping to find a few was to make it a little better on a budget. In the end I have lost too much time from trying to improve the darn thing.

Can't improve on perfection.

Yeah, a big plus for shooting the Glock is so you don't have to mess around with the gun...and can focus on the shooting.

FWIW...I've fired 10's of thousands of rounds through 40 caliber Glocks.

Shooting Major, the stock recoil rod and spring assembly will do you fine. I've never had any problems with the Dawson base pads (140mm, +5'ish) and the springs that came with them.

Sell that springco stuff over on GlockTalk and buy a set of Warren/Sevigny sights and some Tru-Grip grip tape. ;)

Like the others have said, dump the extended slide release and replace it with a standard or even better replace it with a standard one cut down to just a nub.

Get rid of the springco stuff. If you don't like the factory guide rod and spring get a T.H.E. tungston with a 15lb Wolf or IMSI spring and rock.

Put some good sights on it Dawson, Warren, Hienie.

I used to run a Springco in my Glock 35 also, but on my last outing with it, I had multiple malfunctions, I switched to the stock rod, and the problem went away. I have since moved on to a Novaks Stainless extended guide rod and 15# ISMI spring, and when I shot it the other day, I had no problems, and the pistol seemed to shoot much nicer for me. YMMV!

Interesting issue. I have a sprinco myself, without any problems.

Are You sure You haven't bought the cor-bon-version of it? That one is made for very hot loads!

'Normal' ammunition would make those faults You are talking about.

Try with +P+ ammo, and I am sure your Glock will work perfectly WITH your sprinco.

Changing the main recoil-spring to a 14lbs isn't enough, when the integrated spring in the sprinco-rod is also very stiff.

This is why Mr. Dugger makes two versions of the Sprinco recoil reducer. -I believe.

:)