Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Keeping a Glock reliable?

Turbo23

Before doing anything to any competition gun, you really need to come here and post or do some searching.

You would have seen immediately that the extended slide stop is almost universally hated, same for Springcos, and the best spring for the Dawson extensions is the one that comes with them (maybe with 1/2 coil cut).

Anything you hear from anywhere else is usually going to be bad advice from folks who don't have a 1/10th of the practical knowledge that Benos members have. My wife thinks she's a total shooting newb and gets shocked when non-compettion shooters where she works start asking for advice after finding out she shoots 1500 rounds(min) a month. Unfortunately for them, her motto for gun mods for her highly tricked G35 Limited gun is "ignorance is bliss", leaving all that to me.

Aftermarket guide rods are OK.

Interesting issue. I have a sprinco myself, without any problems.

Are You sure You haven't bought the cor-bon-version of it? That one is made for very hot loads!

'Normal' ammunition would make those faults You are talking about.

Try with +P+ ammo, and I am sure your Glock will work perfectly WITH your sprinco.

Changing the main recoil-spring to a 14lbs isn't enough, when the integrated spring in the sprinco-rod is also very stiff.

This is why Mr. Dugger makes two versions of the Sprinco recoil reducer. -I believe.

:)

I have not really thought about that too much, as I have been on the phone with Alan from Sringco once a week since I have had it trying to fugure out the issue.

He sent me the 24# spring to try to fix it. We also started all this knowing I was shooting lighter loads than full house or +p stuff. But you could very well be right.

The interesting thing (that never seems to fail) is that it only malfunctions in a match!! I mean only. In practice I have had 0 malfunctions. For the match this weekend I am going back to the stock rod, and have changed the extended mag springs that I was using from ISMI to the Dawson springs that came with the extended base pads I run from them. We will see???

When it works....lol I love the Springco, I can really feel a difference. But that is no good for me when I can not count on it.

Due to the fact that I already need some help in the match as it is. ;)

As some of the others have said here, I wish that I had a stock slide catch to change out for this weekend. I only have the extended one, thats all that came on this gun.. I will just have to try and watch my thumbs....

Todd

Before doing anything to any competition gun, you really need to come here and post or do some searching.

You would have seen immediately that the extended slide stop is almost universally hated, same for Springcos, and the best spring for the Dawson extensions is the one that comes with them (maybe with 1/2 coil cut).

Anything you hear from anywhere else is usually going to be bad advice from folks who don't have a 1/10th of the practical knowledge that Benos members have. My wife thinks she's a total shooting newb and gets shocked when non-compettion shooters where she works start asking for advice after finding out she shoots 1500 rounds(min) a month. Unfortunately for them, her motto for gun mods for her highly tricked G35 Limited gun is "ignorance is bliss", leaving all that to me.

Aftermarket guide rods are OK.

I have learned that lesson for sure!! ;) I am going to do all you just said but the extended mag catch. Just not an option for me cuz I dont have one. Where I live and shoot is out in BFE.... No parts here on short notice.. LOL

I wanted to thank every one that gave me advise on this topic. I took all of the advise for last weekends match and

ran a stock gun......

Guess what, no problems at all!! Even with the extended slide catch. I took a file to the extended one and had no issues.

Now if I want to put in a rod of some kind that would do what I was trying to do. What are your recommendations there?

Thanks again

Todd

Now if I want to put in a rod of some kind that would do what I was trying to do. What are your recommendations there?

Pretty much any aftermarket guide rods are OK (tungsten or SS). I prefer the captured ones. I also use either Wolf springs or the stock one.

Pretty much any aftermarket guide rods are OK (tungsten or SS). I prefer the captured ones. I also use either Wolf springs or the stock one.

So everything is ok except the one I had uh.... lol

What is the lightest spring I can use and be ok? Ammo I shoot is 180grn @ 930fps

There were a batch of ISMI recoil springs that would bind. I don't think that was really the fault of ISMI. When I talked to them , they told me that Glock had slightly changed the dimensions of the spring tunnel.

I used a stock recoil rod and spring in my G35 at major power factor...and made Grand Master doing so.

But, if you want to go to a lighter spring, try a 15lbs. Maybe get a 13# just so you can say you did it and get that off you mind as being some super special shooting trick. A captured ISMI rod and spring, or a tungsten rod from THE with a wolff spring seems to be what many like. Chris can set you up.

The sprinco is not your normal typical solid guide rod. Sprinco is the whole captured unit. I think it has a 2 spring system, if I'm not mistaken. What I meant when I said captured guide rod is a solid guide rod with a screw to hold the spring on - basically what the stock Glock guide rod is, except SS or tungsten instead of plastic. It makes it easier to put in. With 167 PF, I wouldn't go lighter than 14 Lbs. You'll be hammering your frame. Factory is 17 Lbs, so using the factory spring would not be bad. I shoot a 135 PF with Wolf 12 LB spring in one gun and a stock spring in another.

Ok... I am going to stay stock. I didnt know if there was a big advantage or anything by changing it. I thought it

shot fine with the stock setup, but after the ordeal I had a week back I dont want to f it up again. Was just looking for a little softer (on the hands ) setup.

But I can live with what came in the gun just fine.

Thanks Flex and all

Todd