Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Promotional DVD

Sharyn

I'm in the (very early stages of the) process of creating a USPSA Promotional DVD. I'm learning more and more about editing, improving quality, converting and marketing videos... but I need your help! I have been approached numerous times to create a DVD for distribution to promote our sport... at your local club, gun shows, etc. I'm creating a beta version 1.0.1a to trial and am in communication with USPSA to approve such a venture... NON-PROFIT. (if you're a member of USPSA HQ and have something to say, please let me know) I am trying to accomplish this without stepping on anyone's toes.

This (and future) DVDs will be distributed by simply requesting one or more from me AT A LATER DATE THAT I WILL ANNOUNCE in order to promote USPSA and its growth. Distribute them at gun shows, to new/prospective shooters, coworkers, etc. to let them see what we love to do There will be a nominal fee to cover shipping and supplies ONLY (probably in the $5-$10 range).

I would like to get a preliminary/beta version out this season, and possibly yearly updates and improvements to follow.

Now, I have three things to ask of the forum members...

1) Are you interested?

2) What do you want to see?

and 3)... I would like 100% permission from the shooters who are showcased.

Even though this is NOT FOR PROFIT, I still believe I have a moral obligation to receive the shooter's approval.

This is an ALPHABETICAL list of names of the shooters currently featured in videos I'd like to use. IF YOUR NAME IS ON THE LIST, PLEASE CONTACT ME BY POSTING YOUR APPROVAL IN THIS THREAD, OR VIA PM OR EMAIL (sniper_le@yahoo.com) TO GRANT PERMISSION. I have contact with about 95% of the list and could gain permission in person, but would like to save a little footwork and consolidate approvals here. If you know someone on the list that is not a member of the forum, please request that they contact me. Once I have received confirmation, I will edit the list with a line through your name to indicate your approval.

Kenneth Augustin

Micah Barcelo ;)

Manny Bragg

Ron Brown

Matt Burkett

Mike Burrell

SC

Sheryl Cruz

Steven Dennis

Keith Dilworth

Lee Dimaculangan

Joel Dix

Barry Dueck

KC Eusubio

John Fadorsen

Kyle Farris

Nelson Francisco (and son)

Edwin Garcia

Julie Goloski

Brad Griffin

Phil Griggs

Angus Hobdell

Larry Houck

Derek Janowicz

Todd Jarrett

Robby Johnson

Lynn Jones

Debbie Keehart

Charles Kibert

Saul Kirsch

Jason Koon

Kippi Leatham

Rob Leatham

Athena Lee

Forrest McCord

Matt McLearn

Max Michel

Kay Miculek

Jerry Miculek

Matt Mink

Steve Moneypenny

Lisa Munson

BJ Norris

Joe Procopio

Ted Puente

Nick Saiti

Jim Schoonmaker

Shannon Smith

Rene Sotorrio

Doni Spencer

Eric Stanley

Roy Stedman

Jack Suber (for son, John)

Chris Tilley

Jay Townsend

JoJo Vidanes

Mike Voigt

Henning Wallgren

Thank you all so much for your assistance!

:D

PLEASE KEEP THIS THREAD PROFESSIONAL, CONSTRUCTIVE, MATURE AND ON TOPIC!!! I WILL KINDLY REQUEST THAT MODERATORS/ADMINISTRATORS PLEASE HELP ME TO DO SO. THE PURPOSE OF THIS THREAD IS TO BENEFIT EVERY ONE OF YOU INDIVIDUALLY AND COLLECTIVELY AS USPSA MEMBERS. THANK YOU!

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

Sharyn,

I think you have a very good idea but let me point something out. This is answer to question #1, by the way. I've made videos(not as good as yours, but still videos) of lots of matches I attend. I show them around & although I rarely video the really good shooters, the folks I show the videos to get intimidated even watching B & C shooters. Everyone on your list is at least an A, most are M or GM. Now, for entertainment value, those are the people to watch but for trying to get new people to try the sport, I'm not sure it will work very well. It is just too intimidating. Just like the uspsa video on the main page at uspsa.org. Folks look at the best shooters & realize they can't do that. I know this sounds silly but I think a promo video trying to get new folks to try the game should have C & D shooters on it, maybe even some brand new folks. Not all the top names. I think a good promo video might start with some brand new shooters, perhaps even ones missing targets or hitting no shoots, then move on to the hot shots, just to see where everyone starts & where they can get to with lots of hard work.

An example of this is watching the olympics. If you see a figure skater, trying for the gold, that is very entertaining but not inspiring anyone to go try skating & if they actually do try it, they find they can't even begin to skate like the ones on TV. Now, if they were trying to promo skating, they would need to show how new people fall, try, fall, mess up, then eventually get better. I would think it is the same with a shooting video. Building a video of the best is just kind of self stroking, in my opinion anyway.

Of course, I've been wrong before so................... but you asked if we were interested. Please don't think I'm trying to cut your idea down, I'm just saying what I've seen with my limited experience showing non-competitors our game.

Good luck! :D

Mark Miller

Edited by mlmiller1

Cool idea and you have the skills to pull it off. Maybe an extension of the one currently posted with some more "entry level" explanations like we would tell a new shooter on here. Keep them from buying a Glock 29C because the jerk at the gunstore felt like selling one.

IE: "Production is a very approachable, entry level division. Almost any, modern, full size 9mm will make an inexpensive and competitive platform for this division. No need to buy expensive reloading equipment, just grab 150 rounds of common 9mm, and come on out to play. You'll need a holster and because you are limited to 10 rounds, at least four magazines. Remember it's the indian, not the arrow. There are shooters in production that are very competitive with Glocks, CZ's, the Springfield XD, Sigs, Berretas, and the new Smith and Wesson M&P is very popular". For well less than $1000 you can be racing. After the initial investment in gear, weekly match expenses for match fees and ammo add up to little more than a trip to the movies (or some low cost analogy ~$25) <_<

Maybe compare our gear divisions to drag racing, about how you only compete against like equipment, but within the rules there are always ways to tune your equipment to your liking.

I like to compare our courses to Golf; Well thought out golf holes offer options, dares, traps, and test a variety of skills. Don't think a 25 handicap duffer get around the course the same way Tiger Woods does, and don't think a brand new shooter will cut up a stage the same way a "Grand Master" on the nationals "Super Squad" will either. You equipment and skill offer you different options. It's up to you to know your limitations, pick a good plan and execute it well at the beep. Show them it's more than boring rote shooting, the same course of fire, over and over and over. Maybe show a GM and a newbie going through a short field course to show the differences.

I know it sounds overly basic, but maybe breifly cover our safety rules, so it's clear only one shooter goes at a time, there are clear times to handle your pistole' (only under RO direction, keep it simple) and how we have a perfect safety record. What we do LOOKS :surprise: dangerous, folks need to know it ain't day one stuff, but anyone can learn to do it safely.

Make it clear that the sport is open to all, that juniors and women are more than welcome, and that our scoring is completely OBJECTIVE.

2) What do you want to see? - An intoxicating vareity of scantily clad women with class III weapons.... no wait Dillon and ZHunter are working on that.

Even though this is NOT FOR PROFIT, I still believe I have a moral obligation to receive the shooter's approval.

Eric Stanley - use me up, so long as you don't do that photo shop thing and I end up in a bikini next to Jake. :surprise: OOooohhh, use the chimp flip!!! :goof:

Edited by dirtypool40

...I know this sounds silly but I think a promo video trying to get new folks to try the game should have C & D shooters on it, maybe even some brand new folks. Not all the top names...

Agree with Mark's statement here, with an added emphasis on Production & Single-Stack equipment.

I agree to an extent. Get EXPERIENCED B&C shooters so they look smooth and safe. But people do like something sexy to chase (no comments on that Z). Show them how smooth and fast it CAN look. That's what sells me, something I could learn to do.

Don't move up in skill (shooter filmed) with expense of equipment. IE: don't show a D in Prod, a C in SS, an A in Lim and a GM in Open, or the myth of it being "the sexy gear" is perpetuated.

Maybe show a B Open shooter shoot a course and then footage of some "name" like Sevigny, shredding the thing in Production.

I think this is a great idea, I've been asked numerous times to describe what I do and it would be so much easier to just reach into a bag and pull out a DVD and show them what it's all about.

My suggestions (for what they are worth).

A rapid montage of shooting for a few seconds to grab attention, lots of different shooters, equipment etc. (not a whole stage just a few shots from each shooter).

Once the montage is done , there could be a short voice-over introduction about the sport, mentioning the strong emphasis on safety (maybe have some shots of the RO standing close to the shooting issuing the LAMR commands). Perhaps an entire (short) stage with little or no movement from the LAMR to the UASC.

I would not try to explain everything about the sport, like the scoring mechanisms and hit factors etc. as it will bog down really quickly.

I think there should be a description of the divisions (and as others have suggested) a strong emphasis on Production and Single Stack, just about anyone who is interested in shooting has a 9/40/45 semi-auto or a 1911 single stack somewhere at home and this is the audience that I think we should focus on. Also important to mention that the divisions compete separately, ie. they are not going up against a $4000 gun with their Glock.

Show lots of women shooting and some juniors to promote that this is sport that the whole family can enjoy together. I would suggest a lot of footage of some local clubs then as the movie progresses move more into the larger matches and equipment, in other words a gentle introduction that builds into the top level of shooting. The top shooters can be intimidating to a newbie, so I would make the point that you don't HAVE to compete at the top levels, if a club match is your thing then that's great, go for it.

Perhaps a web-link at the bottom of the screen throughout the movie and at the end a shot of the USPSA.org web site and show them on screen how the Club Finder function works so they can find a club in their area.

Just my 2 cents.

Sharyn,

I understand your concern regarding permissions.

I produced a match video (for sale) last year at the Tennessee Sectional and plan to do so again this year.

Last year I followed one squad through the match.

The format was similar to a "Super Squad" video.

Prior to the match I announced to the squad that I would be filming and told them that if anyone did not want to be on camera, to let me know before their run and I would turn the cameras off. No one did.

This year I plan to make the video more inclusive and try to bounce from stage to stage and get every squad on film.

That way everyone that shoots the match gets to be on camera at least once.

I thought about trying to get permissions but I don't see any practical way to do it.

I'm not sure it is even necessary.

I could be wrong but I believe it is perfectly acceptable to photograph anything or anybody in a public forum.

Anyway, I have some good footage, (some of it filmed in High Definition) that you are welcome to use if you like.

Send me a PM with your address and I will send you a copy of the DVD.

Tony

Edited by 38superman

...I know this sounds silly but I think a promo video trying to get new folks to try the game should have C & D shooters on it, maybe even some brand new folks. Not all the top names...

Agree with Mark's statement here, with an added emphasis on Production & Single-Stack equipment.

I definitely agree with DP, Mark, & JW. I think to really help get out from under the "race gun only" image PD and SS should be featured in a sort of beginners/come try our sport section of the video. I'm not saying that we should leave out L, L-10, Open (they should definitely be there as well) but since its release I've thought a short coming of the vid currently featured on the USPSA website is the over exposure of the high dollar guns.

I think something along the lines of DP's paragraph above would be darn near perfect for a beginners intro. Maybe justs throw into the mix some "run what you brung" type comments (i.e. you don't need to by a new gun to complete) but if you are looking to buy a box stock 9mm with some off the shelf ammo will work just fine for an inexpensive path to the sport. To ride DP's coat tails a little more I also like the idea of including some experienced B/C shooters so that folks know that sub-second draws and .12 splits are not the norm.

I think this is a great idea Sharyn!

Edited by j2fast

1) Are you interested?

2) What do you want to see?

1) Yes

2) I too believe that even competent B/c class shooters can intimidate any new or prospective new action shooter from a skill level standpoint. Clearly from USPSA's own info the bulk of the clasifications fall into B/C range so why not highlight this in the video by have the majority of clips from this member base with a few M/GM clips thrown in to show how far the skill level can be pushed if one choses to "do the work".

Over the last year or so we have increased our local match attendance with a few newer shooters, our emphasis for recruiting is now the recreatonal aspects of the game ratrher that the high end, high speed, highly skilled players, the new shooters see that soon enough when the enter the door to play, sometimes they return to play again sometimes they don't.

FANTASTIC IDEA!

My suggestions:

Do a "Very Limited" number of GM's in each Division. Then fill out the rest of the DVD with a lot of NON-Race Guns and lower class competitors. Let those you target feel that this is a sport for an average Joe. Once hooked they will realize the true addictive nature and won't mind the trip.

I'm going to try to take a camcorder to the LPR Nationals and get some footage of as many Revolver Division Competitors as I can, and who will let me. I will be happy to copy to you any footage from competitors who agree to it.

I also think USPSA is missing out on not selling a DVD of each Nationals. Whether it be a compilation, focused on one individual or one squad. I think it'd make it's money back.

Dave

Expanding on the "save newbies money theme" how about mentioning several times that people will let you try their guns and it's better to shoot what you have for now until you are SURE which gun you want. Don't buy something you're offered a deal on from the mall ninja at "GUNS-R-US" or you read is the ULTIMATE in some gun rag. A glock 29c with a 6-9x tasco and 200gr +P CorBon out of a leather ankle holster is NOT the optimum "entry level OPEN rig".

Sort of a financial version of the old "measure three times, cut once".

Edited by dirtypool40

Wow...much of what I said in a pm to Sharyn!

drift: I caution on the "Production as entry level" comment. Reflect it may be the easiest to begin in due to the stock nature of the gun used, but we do not want to perpetuate the myth that it is an entry level division, implying graduation to bigger and better. My .02.

drift: I caution on the "Production as entry level" comment. Reflect it may be the easiest to begin in due to the stock nature of the gun used, but we do not want to perpetuate the myth that it is an entry level division, implying graduation to bigger and better.

+1

I didn't mean it was a weak division, just that COMPETITIVE gear is very inexpensive. Make no mistake, there are some MONSTERS in Production.

It's also an easy division for a newby to understand and relate to.

Wow...much of what I said in a pm to Sharyn!

drift: I caution on the "Production as entry level" comment. Reflect it may be the easiest to begin in due to the stock nature of the gun used, but we do not want to perpetuate the myth that it is an entry level division, implying graduation to bigger and better. My .02.

+1

If you shoot the "entry-level" division at Rio Salado, you get to shoot against Angus. In Ga, it's Sevigny. Hardly "entry-level"

I hope you are prepared for what you're getting yourself into Sharyn.

A project like this is going to require hundreds of hours of work.

A lot of folks that see the finished product have no idea what it takes to produce a professional quality video.

To do it right is a quantum leap beyond following a shooter around with a handycam.

The job of editing video, processing special effects, titles, editing soundtracks, etc. is a no small task either.

If you come up with a good finished product (non-profit) that helps promote the sport, I hope eveyone involved appreciates the effort you put forth to do it.

You deserve a medal. :bow:

Tony

Edited by 38superman

Great project Sharyn. Please consider ignoring the posts above suggesting we not intimidate new shooters by showing them what they can accomplish. I don't think we need to 'sell' USPSA to the masses just to separate them from their money or to increase our numbers just to have more numbers. I'd rather see our new shooter come from the ranks of those who see your video and say I want to do that!!!!

:cheers:

Sharyn,

Fantastic idea! Concur with previous comments on showing mere mortals as opposed to a slew of Gun Gods and Goddesses burning down the range, as well as highlighting the diversity of guns that can be used. I've shown your stuff at work on several occasions and everybody loves it. It als serves as a starting point for discussion and questions that are very hard to have without the visual reference that video provides. I gave a copy of some of your vids to a co-worker and he showed it to his teenage son who was enthralled and should be at the WAC this weekend. Can't get that kind of advertising with a magazine or flyer. Showing clips from some training classes would be helpfull as well as some folks dry firing.

Donn

(Yes, you have my permission)

I agree with the ideas that have been posted.

- New shooters need to know what to expect.

- Basic safety, cold range, range commands, safe areas, etc. (briefly, they can review on the dvd)

- A little tell, then show on the equipment divisions. (scored against other with similar gear)

- Also, a bit of tell and then show on the classifications.

- Walk through a few stage behind the camera, then show some non-imtimidating shooters going smoothly through the cof...with "normal" gear.

- After all the meat and potatoes and the non-scary shooters...add in the big-dogs burning it up at the end. ;)

- safe

- fun

- competition (I try to hammer those points home when recruiting newbies)

- also, great people

This is something long overdue - I recently talked to Matt Burkett about this and he agreed... but here is what I've done in the past, with permission from HQ:

Jim Scouten gave HQ two segments of well produced footage that was adapted to be a good introduction. Not quite specific enough, but very well done.

I produced an intro and outro, which introduced the local club ( Owensboro KY in this case ), as well as providing a match schedule, web link, and map to the range. I edited it together to flow in one 22 minute segment, and it's a reasonable introduction for new shooters. I produce the DVDs for about $1 each with label and case, and we hand them out at gunshops and shows.

You might consider incorporating these segments into yours. Having worked in broadcast for 30 years, I can tell you that to be well done, it will require a substantial commitment, access to a decent studio, and good graphics capabilities, not to mention lots of writing and scripting. It should be well-narrated or preferably done in a host style like Jim does, who IMHO consistently delivers the best production values.

First, THANK YOU for the AMAZING responses!!! This is exactly the type of input I'm looking for!!!

I've heard, loud and clear, that the videos need to include all divisions and all classes. That's awesome! (Just for the record, there are B and C shooters on that list. ;) )

Eric, you articulate important points very well. Maybe I can collaborate with you to create this element?

I know it sounds overly basic, but maybe breifly cover our safety rules

Another excellent idea. When I show my videos to people unfamiliar with our sport, the first question they ALWAYS ask is "Who's the guy running behind you and why is he holding that box?"

Possibly a section displaying a shooter with proper gear for each division and an explanation of their elements?

I've been asked numerous times to describe what I do and it would be so much easier to just reach into a bag and pull out a DVD and show them what it's all about.
It als serves as a starting point for discussion and questions that are very hard to have without the visual reference that video provides.

Exactly! This is the driving force behind my ideas and commitment.

I could be wrong but I believe it is perfectly acceptable to photograph anything or anybody in a public forum.

Just a moral obligation for me. I don't really feel comfortable without it. :)

- New shooters need to know what to expect.

- Basic safety, cold range, range commands, safe areas, etc. (briefly, they can review on the dvd)

- A little tell, then show on the equipment divisions. (scored against other with similar gear)

- Also, a bit of tell and then show on the classifications.

- Walk through a few stage behind the camera, then show some non-imtimidating shooters going smoothly through the cof...with "normal" gear.

- After all the meat and potatoes and the non-scary shooters...add in the big-dogs burning it up at the end.

Awesome outline and organization. Precisely what I'm looking for!

You might consider incorporating these segments into yours. Having worked in broadcast for 30 years, I can tell you that to be well done, it will require a substantial commitment, access to a decent studio, and good graphics capabilities, not to mention lots of writing and scripting. It should be well-narrated or preferably done in a host style like Jim does, who IMHO consistently delivers the best production values.

Just to let everyone know upfront... the fact is, I'm an amateur. I don't plan on investing in a studio, nor crazy expensive equipment, or hiring extras and the like. That's an avenue for someone else with more experience and expertise to tackle and USPSA to fund. I work full-time and shoot competitively in the rest of my full-time. I plan on putting my intelligence and creativity into this project the best I can with the equipment I have or will obtain for personal use anyhow.

I've seen Matt Burkett's garage/studio... I'm not planning on investing that kind of dinero. ;)

Thanks again, everyone! Please keep the conversation, comments and opinions coming!!! I'm listening! :D

OK, OK, OK.....we all agree Production, and every other division are EQUALLY MANLY :bow: , now, back on topic....

Manly???

header.gif

:rolleyes: (sorry, DP)

Back on topic:

The DVD is a very good idea. It would save a lot of time trying to explain the my non-shooting friends that what I do is not so sinister. The video on the USPSA home page may be a good starting point as to where to go with this. Showing yungun's shooting .22s at their first match to showing JJ rip up an open stage would be really cool. Thanks for taking this on!

Later,

Chuck

PS: Sharyn: Kudos on getting releases from the photographed parties! It is refreshing to hear someone take the subjects feelings in consderation. Just because something is legal does not mean it's cool!

I've wanted to do a video with hat cams from both the shooter and RO's perspective of a simple stage from before "load and make ready" all the way to "range is clear", just so people know how it all works. That would be good to post on web sites for people wanting to know just what to expect.

We did a gunshow video a long time ago just with clips from local matches. In order to get people to stop and look, it pretty much has to be all non-stop shooting. Think 'very short attention span'. We also ran a slideshow on a laptop nearby of a bunch of photogenic ordinary shooters (well, that might be some sort of oxymoron, but you get the drift ;) )

And you can use footage of me, so long as it's good and/or the sponsor logos are legible :D :D :D :D