Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I spent a lot of time in my Jeep dragging those POS rovers to the trailhead.... Twice the money and twice as often to spend it.... Actually funny is not a good description unless you have a sadistic streak in you....

My opinion only and possibly not shared by anyone who has never had experence with one. ;)

The other option will be a Pathfinder. I am not going to be doing any rock crawling with it. I just want a backup SUV for when it snows and running to the range with the long guns. I plan on putting less than 5K miles a year on it.

My father had a Range Rover Discovey which was manufactured during that time frame. He bought the vehicle because it was easy to get into for his back. The maintenance drove him crazy. Something was always beaking, those little $400 trips to the dealership, which grew to be more expensive problems. He ultimately gave the vehicle to my sister who quicky traded it in for another vehicle.

If you can get it to run drive to a trade in shop before some $ 600 sensor doodad goes out. My idiot tenant/roomate bought one probably a 98ish in 2001, I was constantly following him to the dealership, for this or that usually elecrical related. It didnt have enough power to get out of it's own way and sucked gas like a semi. He kept claiming the manley, manley cross the Serrengetti vehicle, but I couldnt fit behind the steering wheel, I'm only 6 foot 195lbs. It sat in front of my house so long I put a birdbath on top of it and a couple flowerpots around it really pissed him off, I pushed it out of the way once to get my boat out and evidently that tripped somekinda antitheft device that locked up all 4 tires and the transmission and guess what cant be reset without a $400 trip to the dealer plus the flat bed towing. All in all I'd rather walk up the road with an American Motors Grimlin hubcap in my hand than own a Land Rover.

Offroad Cadillac, maintenance and associated fees in accordance. If you have the money go for it, extremely good visibility and a ride that is unequaled when pounding horsetrails out in the boonies. I have never ever been in anything that will soak it up like a REAL Range Rover, but damn it gets expensive to fix them when you go a little too far. Great luxury car, but it is a car and expensive to fix. Get the 8 cyl and they have plenty of power too, they actually run really well. How much is 'plenty'? When the drivetrain is at the mercy of your right foot the power is about right......

Not too long ago I was shooting with a fellow who had one of the fancy, nice looking Rovers [don't recall the model]. When I asked him how he liked it, he replied that Rover's slogan should be "Bend over, it's a Rover!". I hadn't wanted to say anything to him before that, but I then told him about my travels in Africa where a dependable vehicle is a must and one of the first pieces of advice I received over there was that if your PH {professional hunter} shows up in a Rover, go find one who has a Land Cruiser [Toyota] to follow him around to tow you when the inevitable occurs. The only time I personally experienced this was when my wife and youngest son decided to go on a game drive [animal sightseeing] while my other son and I were hunting. Their guide showed up in a Rover and I didn't hear the end of it for a week [they spent most of the day waiting for someone, in a Land Cruiser, to pick them up and take them home! The only problem we ever had in a Toyota "bakkie" [Afrikaans for hunting vehicle or pickup truck] was a flat tire. On the other hand, I've got an English cousin who lives on the wilds of the Welsh border who is an avid 4wheeler/mudder and he swears by his Rover, but it's an older, beefier looking model than the ones I've seen in the states. YMMV Good luck.

I still have a 99 Series I Discovery, never had a large problem put 90k miles on it. Used it a little offroad, has a detroit on the rear TT on the front. Some of them go forever without a problem, others have one problem after another, quality control has never been great :0 Setup correctly they are very good offroaders, but they will never be a rockcrawler. Aftermarket parts tend to be on the high side of price. A lot of people put Toy axles on them for strength and cheaper to get parts for. The Buick engine they come with imho is trash. aluminum, leaky no matter what you do, underpowered for the size of the vehicle. The trick setup is a TDI or to add one but the cost is insane.

WWW.Discoweb.org has good technical help on Rovers and a lot of good links to parts and documents on repairing them. I really liked mine but the problem was it didnt help me as much as i needed at work so I upgraded to a truck. I also have a 95 Discovery I bought as parts, and a running 78 Series III right hand drive diesel.

Leo

The Land Rover "tamed" Africa as they like to say, NOT the Range Rover. "Landies" are very spartan and have nothing electrical.

"Rangers" are not user friendly to tall people, as 6'3" my head hits the ceiling/roof of the vehicle

Make a different choice, you HAVE been warned :ph34r:

It is a British car and it has an electrical system. Good luck with that.

I own a Mini - the same electric system.... :surprise: Mini owners here call it "Lucas - the King of Darkness" :blink::P (the most parts a from this company "Lucas"

I could tell a lot "funny" stories! :rolleyes:

DVC!

Sascha

Edit - ups, after reading the complete thread I saw that EricW was a lot faster with the Lucas story....

Edited by cooper_999

A friend of mine had a Range Rover before some idiot decided to run a red light and totaled it. He loved the thing. He said there a bunch of forums with wealth of information on the cars. Make sure you buy a service manual and keep it with the car. If it does break, it's usually pretty easy to fix. Make sure you keep a rifle cleaning rod in the car in case the solenoid fails that pops the gas cover open.

I am looking at several Range Rovers 90-94. What problems have you had? What should I look for when looking at them.

My sister's ex had one that I drove a bit around town and on some short road trips. At the time I owned a 1980 ford bronco (full size). My opinion was that my bronco rode smoother and handled better than the rover. didn't have any problems when I was driving it, but I know they didn't enjoy the rover's frequent visits to the shop.

I drove Pathfinders for a while when I was doing some work for the navy in puerto rico, both on- and off-road. we bottomed the pathfinder often and it's turning radius was terrible. also, the angled glass in the rear tailgate really cut into the cargo space to the point where to get all our gear in, we'd have to lower the rear seats, just because of that fairly slight angle to rear window. on road driving it was nice and comfortable, but the cargo and off road issues made me mark it off my "i might buy one of these" list. we had much better luck with 4runners and monteros.

It is a British car and it has an electrical system. Good luck with that.

That's why the Brits drink warm beer - Lucas refrigerators...

Cardinal rule of British car ownership (from someone who owns two, now scattered in bits between three garages) - NEVER drive them further than you're willing to walk...

Buy a 4Runner or a Land Cruiser - you won't regret it...

Sestock,

Not too familiar with the Range Rover - but I do own a 1997 Land Rover Defender D90 - and very much like it - it's been quite modified since I got it a year and a half ago.

I found a bunch of info at the LR Forums

Here's a list of a few Land Rover related forums:

http://www.discoweb.org

http://www.landroversonly.com/

http://landroverusaforums.com/

http://www.lrfaq.org/

http://www.muddyoval.com/forum/

http://www.d-90.com/

Good Luck!

Edited by pmd

I have an oppurtunity to purchase a 1962 Land Rover with the safari top, the double roof with vents.

Not much on creature comforts. No radio, very basic gauges. No rear seat, no roll cage. Probably leaks oil like all British cars do or did.

I keep driving past it and telling myself, buy a Barrett Auto loading 50 for the same money, it will cost you less and likely you'll be albe to sell it at a profit.

But it soes have a look that I have a hard time resisting.

Jim