Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA election

Jaxshooter

My opinion

Void all the first ballots

Only count the second set

This is the only way we have to know that each vote is counted once

This reminds me that when Louisiana donated their old voting machines to Mexico at their next election Former Gov Edwin Edwards was elected president

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While we are all free to express our opinions as to this and that, this is the best process we can come up with to assure all members get to vote. This is exactly what the statement says:

All members, other than foreign members (whose original ballot was sent via first class mail) will receive a new ballot.

You may cast your vote with the original ballot or with the new ballot. If the accounting firm receives both, only the new ballot will be counted.

The deadline for all ballots is extended to October 1, 2007

I am convinced this process will work. It is of paramount importance that each eligible member be able to vote for the candidate of their choice. This process will do that.

Gary

According to what it says, if you have already voted, and you are confident that your ballot will reach Sedro by the deadline, then you won't have to revote. If you do revote, the first one they receive will be the one that counts.

This is not accurate.

The notice on the members page is the official explanation, and I will not attempt to duplicate it here. That document describes how the ballots will be tabulated.

My opinion

Void all the first ballots

Only count the second set

This is the only way we have to know that each vote is counted once

This reminds me that when Louisiana donated their old voting machines to Mexico at their next election Former Gov Edwin Edwards was elected president

A decision has been made, and USPSA HQ is now in the process of implementing that decision. Comments are welcome, however, changing the procedure for the 2007 election again is not something we currently have on the table, nor do we expect it to be.

According to what it says, if you have already voted, and you are confident that your ballot will reach Sedro by the deadline, then you won't have to revote. If you do revote, the first one they receive will be the one that counts.

This is not accurate.

The notice on the members page is the official explanation, and I will not attempt to duplicate it here. That document describes how the ballots will be tabulated.

My mistake. I was thinking "new", and for some reason typed "first". Brain fade--my apologies.

Troy

Why not simply extend the deadline to October 1st. Surely even with "standard" mail service everyone would have received their ballot, voted, and the ballots would have plenty of time to get back to the Mother Ship. It would save on reprinting fees and frankly, I'm not too comfortable with this two-ballot thing...

Ed

Why not simply extend the deadline to October 1st. Surely even with "standard" mail service everyone would have received their ballot, voted, and the ballots would have plenty of time to get back to the Mother Ship. It would save on reprinting fees and frankly, I'm not too comfortable with this two-ballot thing...

Ed

We could have done that and saved money at the expense of members not getting a ballot and getting to vote and the resulting loss of confidence in the organization. Were we to only count the second ballots by diregarding the first, those people who might now be out of town but who were available to cast a ballot and did in fact vote during the first round would not have their vote counted. The other problem with the delivery of the first ballots by bulk rate was that in so doing the mistake of the mailing service resulted in no ballots being forwarded to members who had moved since they last updated their address with USPSA and as such just extending the return time was not a viable option.

The actions taken by the BOD in this regard are intended to insure that as many or more ballots are counted as would have been counted had their been no error with the first set of ballots.

Charles Bond

I'm not too comfortable with this two-ballot thing...

Ed

I saved my first ballot envelope, because the accouting firm apparently promised USPSA that they could in fact mail out identically numbered ballots to everyone. I'll be comparing my second ballot serial numbers to the first round received --- just to eliminate that possibility. I'm certain --- and perhaps a CPA can chime in here --- that it'll be a fairly simple, if possibly labor intensive, process to ensure that only one ballot with each serial number is counted....

I applaud Dave Thomas and the BOD for rapidly implementing appropriate measures to ensure that no eligible USPSA member is disenfranchised due to the error of a subcontractor.

This is only a wild A$$ guess, but if we held the same reporting time as before, it would be 15 days after the final day to vote. That would put it up to around October 15 or so. And of course there is the possibility of a run off. I think it is possible that we might not know the winner of the Presidential election until around December 15, assuming a run off is called for.

Gary

Ed

USPS Standard (Bulk Mail) is not forwarded, so if any members have moved and had not informed USPSA but filed a change of address in that time period they would not receive a ballot, also Standard (Bulk) mail is of the lowest importance of delivery for the USPS. Just extending the dead line could disenfrachise eligible USPSA members form voting.

Best solution was to solve it the way the BOD did.

Alan

Dear BOD Members,

Thank you!

:cheers:

+1

I would be one of those members who would not be able to vote again is the first set of ballots were declared void

Thanks for thinking this problem thru and making a good decision.

I would be one of those members who would not be able to vote again is the first set of ballots were declared void

Thanks for thinking this problem thru and making a good decision.

Actually because of your post that you would be leaving and not available for ballots that arrived too late, the BOD was aware that this was an issue that needed to be addressed. I am not saying that we did this just for you. What I am saying is that the feedback that we get from this forum and the USPSA forum is extremely valuable to the leadership of USPSA since without your post, we might have not properly considered the consequences of declaring the first set of ballots invalid.

Charles

• 1 month later...

As soon as possible. Once the accounting firm delivers the results to HQ, Dave Thomas will call all the candidates to tell them of the results before the public announcement. The board may know the results before they are publicly released, but we're talking hours - not days. The public announcement will appear on www.uspsa.org.

Today, October 1st, 2007, is the deadline for getting the ballots to the accounting firm. When do we learn the results of the election?

Nemo,

There is another thread about this issue. I think it was something about second ballots. Anyway, Gary gave an approx time frame for the final count.

EDIT: It was earlier in this thread... " This is only a wild A$$ guess, but if we held the same reporting time as before, it would be 15 days after the final day to vote. That would put it up to around October 15 or so. And of course there is the possibility of a run off. I think it is possible that we might not know the winner of the Presidential election until around December 15, assuming a run off is called for."

Gary

Edited by JThompson

Today, October 1st, 2007, is the deadline for getting the ballots to the accounting firm. When do we learn the results of the election?

Nemo,

There is another thread about this issue. I think it was something about second ballots. Anyway, Gary gave an approx time frame for the final count.

EDIT: It was earlier in this thread... " This is only a wild A$$ guess, but if we held the same reporting time as before, it would be 15 days after the final day to vote. That would put it up to around October 15 or so. And of course there is the possibility of a run off. I think it is possible that we might not know the winner of the Presidential election until around December 15, assuming a run off is called for."

Gary

NO!!! Say it ain't so!!!! We wanna KNOW!!!