taking up all my time

ErikW

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Singlestack: Of course that's me in the pics. I even bought special underwear to ride in. :) (BTW, Underarmour heat gear really works, in 97F heat under leathers.)

Dave: Yes, a 250 V-twin 2-stroke, a TZ250 production Gran Prix bike. Meaning Yamaha produces about two dozen a year. Gotta submit your resume if you want a new one and fork over about $25+K.

yoshi: 1993 4DP2, a little under $4000 with modest spares. There's one in S.F. for $5500 with spare cylinders and cranks, it was tempting. What specs? It's light, it's powerful, and it goes like hell. Oh yeah, and your eyeballs hit your faceshield when you get on the brakes.

• 1 month later...

Another Reno-Fernley track weekend on the TZ250, now with new rattle can paint....

Saturday

Sunday

I just can't get over how small the bike is. Makes me look like I'm 6'2".

Some day if I can get this camera to work I'll post video and George can set it on "loop" and listen to that lovely v-twin howl over and over....

I never did get to try one of those Angry sewing machines. I am Jealous, The HP to weight ratio is killer, and it must flick into corners like a feather.

I raced Formula-USA on a FZR 1000 Battle tank back in 1990-1991 then tried 600 super sport class on a jixer what a difference in the twisties. I can only imagine the TZ.

Have not even been back on a bike since 1996, except to take a quick spin on my friends new Ducati he got while I was back visiting in AZ.

I miss it but don't miss the crashes or the cost of tires every other weekend. People think ammo is expensive

Reno-Fernley Raceway has a gun range! Cowboys shoot there but no practical pistol that I know of.

The pictures were by a roving photographer. Different photogs at the June and July events.

Flickable doesn't begin to describe it. I've been to the track four days and never had to countersteer. In the 100+ mph esses after turn 1, I start thinking about countersteering and the bike has turned.

Cool bike and pics. Back in my racing days I was thinking of an Aprilia 250, but being 6'1" I looked like a monkey trying to sit on a football. Raced 600s for a bit. Gets real expensive with tires, gas, travel expenses. Then got into Supermotards, easy on tires, crash much better and just a ton of fun

Edited by Supermoto

He just doesn't wanna' scrub the knees outa' his spankin' new leathers.

Nothing a little "race-tape" won't fix right up :P

Worst thing about this whole thread is that I was looking at the ad for that very same TZ-250 that is/was available down here and started thinkin' that I might just want to buy that suckah'.

It wouldn't be quite as fast as the 74' TZ-350B I campaigned in the AFM 750GP class for a season way back in the late 70's, but it definitely oughta' handle better than that unruly thing did ;)

You have no idea how hard it is to flick it in and crank it over after 12 years away from pavement, only riding on dirt.

I've got good lines, hard on the brakes, I just can't trust the front tire to stick. However, I did touch my knee down for the first time since 1993.

I think I just need more training!

You have no idea how hard it is to flick it in and crank it over after 12 years away from pavement, only riding on dirt

The only dirt riding that won't make you slow on pavement is flat track. Ifn'ya wanna' get fast again, go find a big flat dirt lot and re-learn getting it slide-ways under power. Can't be afraid to push either tire if ya' wanna' call yerself' fast ;)

Now it's time to get going to Laguna Seca to see some MotoGP :-)

More power to you there, buddy. I'm out of bikes now... Don't know for how long though. Day before yesterday I gave away one of my street jackets to a newbie rider friend of mine since I'm not currently putting it to good use. Still got a set of Teknic leathers, RF800, and a pair of Sidi Vert II's. Gave the Held gloves to another friend, best gloves I ever tried.

Heavy twins for 2 seasons, RC51. Fun, but too expensive for me at the time. Oh well...

I'll post video and George can set it on "loop" and listen to that lovely v-twin howl over and over....

Don't wanna' hear no TZ250 howl over and over unless it's me cuttin' the laps on it :-)

I'm on the hunt now for the right bike to get back into AFM club racing, hopefully 250GP, damn you Erik ;)

No street ridin' though, track only this time!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm back in. Just bought the bike and now for the riding gear (leathers, helmet, boots, etc...).

Just sent the cashiers check for the following bike.

2000 Yamaha TZ125

Bike is freshly rebuilt and has zero miles on all new motor, clutch and chain. Has two sets of wheels, two complete sets of bodywork, 2 spare cylinders and several sets of pistons, all the usual jets, sprockets and other spare parts for days. Also includes stands, tire warmers, Battle Factory rear sets and speed shifter. In addition to all that, it has brand new bridgestone slicks on it and a slightly worn set on the spare wheels.

This bike is ready to gas and race ;)

post-749-1186780343.jpg

The image shows the older set of slightly dingy bodywork.

It ships to me next week. A 125 GP bike is the perfect starter for me. Next stop, late model 250 after a full season on this baby!

Woohooo, after 25 years in the slow lane, I'm baaaack!!!

Those photos bring back some really great memories. Wish my body would let me do that again, but alas, no.

Time to start wearing out those tires and knee pucks. Even that 250 should be leaving giant grease marks coming out of those turns, especially if it's hot hot hot.