Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Techwell singlestack magwell (mini review and pics)

Just got my Techwell about 10 days ago, and I really like it. I had been looking for a bigger/better magwell and actually ordered an SVI model. When it arrived, it came with an arched mainspring housing, and I'm pretty much a flat MSH kind of guy, so I was a little bummed. I also didn't like the way it attached -- it looked a bit convoluted to me.

So I decided to send the SVI back and try the Techwell. I wasn't sure I would like the Alumagrips as I prefer wood, but decided to give the whole package a try.

Here's how the grips and well look installed.

techwell1.jpg

Both the magwell and grips are made of aluminum and are very high quality and very nicely machined and finished. The fit is perfect and the whole thing installed in about a minute. I really like the setup. As quick as you can change a set of grips, you can add this magwell. And in the same amount of time, you can take it off if you want to convert back to standard configuration.

The grips are machined with a slot at the bottom and the magwell has kind of a hook to fit in the slot. Here's what it looks like:

techwell2.jpg

The well is very nicely done but does have a bit of a gap in the front. I suppose this was done so that mags can sit against the frontstrap when seated flush.

techwell3.jpg

I use CMC 8rd Powermags and their standard basepads fit below flush when using the Techwell. I went to the CMC extended basepads for the Powermags and now the mags fit just below the magwell when seated. Reloads are fast and sure with this basepad configuration.

This is a very nicely made magwell and a great addition for anyone competing with a singlestack 1911 who wants a bit more well than the S&A style.

Got it.....too easy to install.....it takes like two minutes and seems to be very durable. I have completed 1 dry fire session with it and it is great. Unfortunately it is not foolproof....I still managed to miss when I did not do my part. :angry: I wonder if they can make me a magnetized version. ;):)

• 2 weeks later...
techwell3.jpg

:surprise::surprise::surprise:

didn't bother to look at any other magwell since i thought the SVI magwell was big enough but DAMN that techwell unit is huge!! I'm assuming it doesn't fit the SS or IDPA box.

A new Techwell is on the way, it's a bit smaller but I don't know how much smaller. When they get here I can post a picture comparing the two. They will interchange using the same grips.

A new Techwell is on the way, it's a bit smaller but I don't know how much smaller. When they get here I can post a picture comparing the two. They will interchange using the same grips.

First I heard of a smaller one. Please elaborate if you can. I had to shave mine down on the sides to get it to fit in the box due to the way my ambi safety kicks the magwell up a bit. It was not a real problem as the magwell has plenty of meat to spare but I may be interested in one that was actually manufactured smaller. Do you know if this is what they did? The opening is the same but the outside is smaller?

The prototype they displayed at the A6 match was a little bit *shorter*. Almost as if the base had been surface ground. It would seem to eliminate any concerns about the mag pads being long enough to ensure good seating during a mag change. As a tradeoff, being as it looked to be the same width as the original, the slope on the sides of the funnel were shallower.

If I were in the market for one I'd probably get the original, but YMMV of course.

I heard that Robby used one at the Nationals. Anyone know for sure?

You would think Robby would go with a smaller one or no magwell at all just to make it fairer B):P

Edited by John Baier

Yes Robbie used one on a 6" 40 cal. When I was looking at it I must say it was very interesting, I was squadded with the Tech Wear guys and they told me there is less gap in the new one.