Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gunshop comandos/experts

KentG

Walk into a shop and see the same guys who seem to have no home or life. They also seem to know everything related to firearms and probably don't go thru a couple hundred rounds a year, If that.

Same ones that look at you like your ignorant no matter what your buying or looking for. The very same ones who always have a story to one up or prove why your wasting your money and they have all the awnsers,,, but they are not gonna tell you cause you don't have your own chair at the gunshop.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's fun when the store owner greets you though. The couch commandos sorta sit around and look uncomfortable since they don't know who you are, then the owner explains (with maybe less exaggeration than the wannabe stories) "he's won most every shooting competition around here. Did some classes for the SWAT team a couple months ago". They then sorta mumble off and look at shotguns for a while..

I still say the easiest way to identify these folks is by the callous on their elbow. It's the one they develop by leaning on one of the counter tops (usually over in the corner of the room, in a most tactically-advantageous vantage point ;) ) while scanning the door for the next unsuspecting soul to innocently enter the store, totally unaware of just how desperately they are in need of the expert's wisdom.

And yes, it's very satisfying to have one of the employees rescue you by telling the nice man what you can actually *do* with a pistol.

It's fun when the store owner greets you though. The couch commandos sorta sit around and look uncomfortable since they don't know who you are, then the owner explains (with maybe less exaggeration than the wannabe stories) "he's won most every shooting competition around here. Did some classes for the SWAT team a couple months ago". They then sorta mumble off and look at shotguns for a while..

Ahem,, :huh: Well I wont be introduced like that,, but DAMN I look good trying!

I dont stop by the shops unless Im activley looking for something or have called ahead and have something to pick up.

While I like to shoot the poop as much as anyone Id rather be at the range instead of talking about it if ya know what I mean.

What I hate is knowing there will be many "victims" of these idiots. Folks who want to learn and only can find these doofi to teach them. About as bad as depending on gun rags for a firearms education.

I have little use for gun shops or gun shows these days. I'm very specialized in what I use, and very few shops have Limited guns on the shelf. I've either seen, own or shot most of what is at a gun show, so no joy there either. I also know what things are supposed to cost, so $45 Glock connectors don't interest me. I need to develop an interest in cheesy lasers or Indian jewelry to do much browsing at a gun show. I go in and pick up my primers and powder and leave.

Yep, every shop I have been I have seen them. The easiest way that I have found to bring them to the front is to mention WWB - " You actually shoot that sh*# in your guns? It will destroy them!" They say this with heartfelt authority with zero info to back it up.Funny thing is, it has been the ONLY unviversal problem free ammo that has functioned 100% in the Hi Points, Rugers, the FNP, the Berettas. I actually enjoy baiting them with it sometimes.

Being VERY new to reloading, and now being exposed to competition shooting, did I miss something a few years ago with WWB? Did they make a hellacious mistake in the past that I am unaware of? At any rate, all you can do is mentally raise the STFU flag after hearing enough of that sizzling poo.

I need to develop an interest in cheesy lasers or Indian jewelry to do much browsing at a gun show. I go in and pick up my primers and powder and leave.

I thought it was just me that felt that way :rolleyes:

Edited by Lighteye67

Being VERY new to reloading, and now being exposed to competition shooting, did I miss something a few years ago with WWB? Did they make a hellacious mistake in the past that I am unaware of? At any rate, all you can do is mentally raise the STFU flag after hearing enough of that sizzling poo.

Winchester White Box (WWB) is very hazardous ammo - to gunshops. Walmart sells it for what is probably in many cases less that the shops pay for their ammo and certainly at a price no shop can compete with.

you are absolutly correct about that. Big volume buyers hurt them.

Back when you could get blazer 9mm for a song...about $4/box, I know a gun shop owner who would go to Academy Sports and buy them in bulk to sell on his shelves. He usually got about $10/box for them.

<_<<_<<_<

dj

WWB is not problem free,Myself and others I know have had misfires with it and in a big match no less in two cases.However I still use it and it won't"destroy"your gun.

Reminds me of a visit I had to a local shop. I ran out of primers and only wanted a box of a thousand until my next sleeve was delivered. They sold them only by the hundred tray so I had to go through all the trays to get a matching lot. I got the inquisition by the locals, "why dya' need them to match for?" I explained why. They argued it didn't make any difference and who buys/shoots that many at once anyway....I just grinned. Since I had my little daughter with me, I'm sure my credibility knowing a single thing about firearms or ammunition was more than suspect. Then as I was paying, asking for a bulk discount (since I was buying so many), a guy came in with a Clark Custom .45 that had a loose front sight. The owner suggested he call Clark to get it fixed rather than have the on-site "smith" fix it (yup, he meant one of the the guys in the peanut gallery perched in the corner). The gun owner was asking "how do I get a hold of Clark?" The store owner was about to go on a long search through a stack of catalogs so I whipped out my cell phone and gave the guy Renee's number at the shop. The look on the faces of the dweebs in the peanut gallery....priceless!

Reminds me of a visit I had to a local shop. I ran out of primers and only wanted a box of a thousand until my next sleeve was delivered. They sold them only by the hundred tray so I had to go through all the trays to get a matching lot. I got the inquisition by the locals, "why dya' need them to match for?" I explained why. They argued it didn't make any difference and who buys/shoots that many at once anyway....I just grinned. Since I had my little daughter with me, I'm sure my credibility knowing a single thing about firearms or ammunition was more than suspect. Then as I was paying, asking for a bulk discount (since I was buying so many), a guy came in with a Clark Custom .45 that had a loose front sight. The owner suggested he call Clark to get it fixed rather than have the on-site "smith" fix it (yup, he meant one of the the guys in the peanut gallery perched in the corner). The gun owner was asking "how do I get a hold of Clark?" The store owner was about to go on a long search through a stack of catalogs so I whipped out my cell phone and gave the guy Renee's number at the shop. The look on the faces of the dweebs in the peanut gallery....priceless!

LOL

anim_rofl2.gif

anim_rofl2.gif

anim_lol.gifanim_lol.gif

Edited by Derek45

<slight bragging mode on>

There's a reputable little gun shop in the big mall a mile from my home (he's been there forever) run by a 50-something nice dude. I've bought guns from him repeatedly, he's helped me find this or that product, he's SOLD guns for me, and there is a cadre of mature gentlemen who tend to hang out there--some are hunters, some are cops, ex-cops and generally OK guys. They've always been polite to me from the start, but once they found out how much I shoot, WHAT I shoot, how I've done in league action and who some of my business colleagues are, they have long since been more socially assertive whenever I walk in the door... asking me this or that question about my gun-interest-of-the-moment, my reloading specs and what my tastes are in this or that accessory.

Now, these dudes aren't asshats but they could've easily ignored me... and it could be the owner had something to do with their conviviality, I dunno. However, I've always engaged these guys in some sort of conversation and we've become more friendly ever since. They don't treat me like a doofus/bimbo. And they couldn't possibly ignore my interests when I drag in one of my blasters to show the owner.....

I personally think it all has something to do with my taste for .45-caliber 1911s. :wub:

:lol:

<slight bragging mode off (for now)>

The last time I was buying a gun in a shop (a S&W 642), some gun-shop expert started telling me I'd be better off w/ some other brand/model/caliber/whatever and that nobody could possible control a .38 in such a small gun, yada yada. I got rid of him by asking a simple, honest, heart-felt question..... "who the hell asked you?". He went away and I bought my gun.

rvb

I heard reports several years ago about some overpressure rounds in WWB .223 with a "Q3131" marking (not the "Q3131A" marking you currently see).

Where are you "currently seeing" Q3131A? I would like to pick up a couple of cases!

I heard reports several years ago about some overpressure rounds in WWB .223 with a "Q3131" marking (not the "Q3131A" marking you currently see).

Where are you "currently seeing" Q3131A? I would like to pick up a couple of cases!

Just the boxes in my gun room; my local shop seems to be getting alternating supplies of Federal American Eagle or XM193 as their generic 223 offering. Just wish I bought a lot more when it was under $100 a case.