Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Gun Issue: Newbie Here

dfwmiket

Here's the deal. I bought my wife an Open gun for Christmas, and it had been running great... even made it thru Doubletap with no issues. The last three matches in a row, the gun seems to stovepipe (either sideways or lengthwise) and still attempt to feed. I am by no means a gunsmith, nor do I play one on TV. I've asked a couple of my buddies already and they have some ideas, but since this gun isn't exactly like theirs, I'd like to get some other opinions.

Aftec extractor. 8 lb. recoil rod (which I just swapped out to see if it fixed issue, no diff.)

9x23. Long gun. Ammo makes 173 (rechrono'd yesterday) and no pressure signs that I can tell. Some ideas I have or have been given: mags out of spec- (not sure how that affects the stovepipe, but possible). Extractor either too tight or too loose? I wouldn't know the difference, so I defer to the gurus here. It's annoying that a gun that runs perfectly is now having issues and I can't figure out "why". Any and all help is appreciated, and same to my buddies who I've already aggravated by asking a thousand questions of 'what if'.

I'm prob gonna end up taking to a gunsmith as last resort, but with Arkansas sectional coming up, kinda want her gun to RUN again!!

-Mike

Mike, stupid question, but is the gun clean? Have you cleaned out the extractor tube? If it was running fine, and all of a sudden quit running, could be something that simple.

Have you changed anything?

Funny enough, I did clean it, too......thinking maybe it was getting dirty. It didn't seem to make any difference at all.

As you can recall, it has been running flawlessly and now all of a sudden it's flaky, which equals no fun for her.

Damn race gun! LOL

When you say the gun ran good in the past, did it run good for her? I have some autos that run good for me, but get malfs for my wife and you can see that she has a weaker grip than most guys, and it doesn't let the gun cycle like it should. I am in no way calling your wife a wimp, as I've seen lots of girls that are pretty tough with a gun in their hand, but we have had similar experiences. At first I thought it was the gun...Just trying to cover the simple angles before you start spending money. :D

"used to work and now doesn't" usually means some combination of:

- dirty

- somebody changed something (maybe sometime before it quit running)

- something wore out (springs and such)

- something is broken (maybe a hairline crack)

stovepiping empty cases would make me want to carefully look at the extraction/ejection parts first.

An 8lb recoil spring sounds really light unles you have a super light slide.

I would try a heavier spring (run a 10# in mine with a shock buff and no wear on buff).

The light spring coupled with lighter grip could be the ticket and the slide can't match up with the mag springs to feed correctly.

Thanks for the info so far.

Bob.......using 9x23 Starline brass. (or 9 super as it's labeled now)

The slide has been heavily lightened (the pic is in the Open gun thread)

It was running great for her. I actually have only shot less than 20 rounds thru it total, ever..... it's hers, and it was running like a champ.

Shred, that's what I'm thinking--just not sure 'what' changed.

Keep the advice coming!

-Mike

This gun has been fantastic since we got it, and now that it's acting up, we're pretty dang frustrated. I have some spare Aftec springs that I may give a try, and I also will try and get it looked at by a gunsmith if at all possible.

Anyone else have more thoughts or possibilities?

-Mike

Check the AFTEC to make sure it doesn't have a chip out of the extractor hook.

Try it with only 1 spring on the AFTEC. Then 2 new ones.

Measure the mag lips to make sure they are in spec, not to wide where the "next" bullet is exiting to early and impacting the empty case on its way out (almost a double feed).

Try a 10 pound recoil spring.

Install new mag springs.

Then hand it to a gunsmith.

Good Luck! :wacko:

I had a similar issue on one of my open guns. It WAS working then just started stovepiping. Look at the underside of the Cmore. Does it look like the brass was hitting it? My issue was that the Ejector needed to be angled just a little more so that ejected brass would clear the Cmore. It was hitting it and bouncing back in the chamber.

As you look at the ejector, make sure it's not broken.... If someone jammed in a magazine when the slide was open... Well let's say I've been there :(

Carl

(edited for clarity)

Edited by Carl

Shaun,

I'll give that a whirl........ I'm guessing mag specs for 9x23 should basically be the same as 38 supercomp?

The chip on the hook thing could be worth looking into--this one 'sorta' looks like it has one, but it may be tuned that way for all I know.

Calling the local gunsmith soon, I'm afraid........

Carl,

from what I can see, the ejector looks ok...... no obvious brekage.

Edited by cnemikeman

Shaun,

I'll give that a whirl........ I'm guessing mag specs for 9x23 should basically be the same as 38 supercomp?

The chip on the hook thing could be worth looking into--this one 'sorta' looks like it has one, but it may be tuned that way for all I know.

Calling the local gunsmith soon, I'm afraid........

Carl,

from what I can see, the ejector looks ok...... no obvious brekage.

When YOU test fire the gun does the feeding problem disapppear?

If it looks like the brass is hitting the cmore mount as said before. Brazos has a great article (on Bobs website) about how to tune the ejector. Glenns gun was stovepiping and we tuned the ejector and it works great now. Only took about 5 mins to do it and it has pictures so even I could do it. Also an 8lb spring sounds a little light to me also.

Edited by Azone41

What several have said: look at the underside of the C-More mount. They get dinged up over time from brass being ejected.

Even if only one round out of 100 hits the mount it will dig grooves into the aluminum of the mount. You can smooth those out with a jeweler's file and some emory cloth.

There are guns that eject brass into the mount on EVERY round & yet still work 100% as long as the owner smooths out the mount before every match. I used to smooth mine out every time - pretty easy to remove the slide, turn the gun upside & run a file for 10 seconds then wipe it off. Might as well get the black powder-soot off the mount at the same time.

The worst combination is dinged-up mount plus old-narly brass. The best combination is smoothed-out mount and new/1-fired brass.

Also you should shoot the gun with the C-More & mount removed to see where it ejects. Thinks this is covered in Bob's article if i remember right. Good luck.

Has she run through the first loading of all the new brass, and now

as you are starting to load for a second time, since christmas, they might be

starting to become too tight for the chamber?

Edited by vernbo

I believe we managed to find the culprit:

problempart.jpg

We'll know for sure real soon if replacing the above fixes everything, but it certainly can't hurt.

The gun runs ok with the 8lb. mainly due to the slide lightening.

Here's the pic:

Slide Cut

We'll have a true range report very soon.

Edited by cnemikeman

Glad you may have it running. After Patty's gun is fixed you can work on mine.

You'll have your gunsmith sign up in no time. I mean your gunsmith web site. :P

No thanks! LOL Computers are bad enough. Too many gun plumbers out there already, I'll try to not add to the masses. I'll stick with the www stuff. :)

Now if it doesn't rain, I'll get her out to test fire.

I'm guessing the lip broke off?

-Mike