Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Gun Issue: Newbie Here

dfwmiket

I hope that fixes your problem but am skeptical.

If the extractor is able to get the case out of the chamber, it has accomplished the hardest part of it's job. Odd that it could do the hard part yet consistently fail to complete the easy part.

Good luck

Edited by L9X25

The only thing I could think of was it was on the verge of not working, and with new brass it still had a crisp sharp edge to grab a hold on, and with brass thats reloaded ( I have cycled thru all the new stuff now) the edge isn't quite as sharp and crisp, and it just didn't have enough 'lip' to grab it consistently.

Of course, I already said I'm not a gunsmith nor do I play one on TV, so I could be wrong. I do have to say the part needed replacing most likely anyway, but we'll know more soon.

Thanks to all so far!

-Mike

Edited by cnemikeman

Should be fine once you get a new Aftec in there. Why it broke will be hard to pin down. Possibly previous owner shot some 9x19 thru it.

Like you said in the Gallery, sometimes big open guns shoot really nice. Mine has just about the same comp and same slide weight, same lack of barrel holes.

Bunch of people have shot mine & like it. Smitty shot about 16 rounds thru mine, looked at it, handed it back, and said, "Damn".

Smitty shot about 16 rounds thru mine, looked at it, handed it back, and said, "Damn".

He says the same thing about mine without even shooting it, anytime it fires within about 50 feet of him.

Possibly a different tone to the "Damn" though... ;)

Edited by L9X25

The hook on my Aftec broke completely off so it was pretty easy to diagnose. When you get a new one, it needs to be checked to see if it clears the barrel. I called aftec and they said not to remove ANY material from the end of the extractor. If it touches the barrel then the material needs to be removed from the barrel. The company that fitted mine removed a fair amount from the end of the extractor in order to get it to fit.

Good luck

Update: All the naysayers seem right--shot a match today--- better, but not FIXED!! :angry::angry: The brass at least now ejects in a nice pretty arc instead of dribbling out, but it did jam periodically when you start 'getting on it' and pushing it. Looks like the next thing is to put in a new ejector (matter of fact I just ordered one from Brazos! ) and see if that corrects the issue. I know Bob's stuff is all top notch, and I went ahead and ordered the 'pre-tuned' one. I'll prob still have my gunsmith do the install, but damn this is getting aggravating!! At least we know the new Aftec works. ;) Two weeks till the Arkansas sectional, and she wants the gun to RUN, and so do I.

-Mike

Are you running a Shok Buf? If so, REMOVE!

Next thought... your powder is burning too slow. Trying to extract while brass still expanded.

Next thought, barrel is coming out of battery too early... numerous possibilities.