Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gas Prices

Rather-B-Huntin

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just in time for that long drive from Ohio to Atlanta, Ga .............. gas goes up to $3.29 :o

It's almost cheaper to fly to work now days! :rolleyes:

I was thinking the same thing! Just in time baby :rolleyes:

Read a report in the paper yesterday where an oil company is sueing the Fed EPA for holding up a permit to double the capacity of one of their refineries.

Apparently they jumped through all the hoops and got the initial ok 4 years ago but the EPA refused to give them the written permit and they cant turn the first shovel of dirt till they have it.

Got to love thse buractaic tree huggers.

As much as I hate to pay more than $.25 per gallon for gas myself there is no problem. Gasoline is priced exactly where it should be.

There is no shortage of supply.

There is no shortage crude.

There is no shortage of refineries.

There is no shortage of gasoline.

There is no shortage of ethanol.

There is no shortage of demand. ;)

The free market works.

MarkM on the first page of this thread wrote:

stopped at a gas station today......$1.19 for 16ozs.!!!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE.....$9.52 a Gallon for WATER ----- EXCESS PROFITS ----- TAXEM!

I don't buy 20 + gallons of water at a time, though.Nor is my usage of water tied directly to the (sunk costs) investment of tens of thousands of dollars (a car / truck).

If I stop buying gasoline, then there's no point to continue owning a car.

If I stop drinking water, well, I guess I'd be dead in a few days. I can always live w/o the car if I had to, although "making a living" would be different altogether.

Read my signature line, wontchya?

Link to the plot summary for a movie called "The Last Chase" produced in 1981:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0082642/plotsummary

It is the future. Evil fascists have forced everyone to recycle and drive electric cars, and have oppressed all those poor people who want to drive Ferraris and smoke cigarettes.
Edited by persona non grata

I'LL tell you how it compares to elsewhere...!!! I should be so lucky right now to be paying $2.91/gallon...!!!! :angry:

(Seriously, re-read this thread from start to finish and it'll give you a fairly clear idea of the accelerated prices of gas here, there and around about.)

Crude fell another $1.26 range today. Now it is back in the sixty-one dollar range.

Remember a while back when crude fell quite a bit and they all of a sudden started talking about the Alaskan pipeline needed an overhaul. Like they didn't know it was already many years past its service life. I wonder what happened? We never heard much more about it.

As far as water goes, they are really ripping people off. Water is free if you have a well, so I try not to buy it. If the electricity to run the pump gets too high we can rig a damn hand pump.

Edited by JD45

It kills me, how we can spend an hour dissecting a field course, explore and analyze every option, but when it comes to gas prices, well, hell, it's simple -- it's the "fuzzy-headed, tree-hugging liberals," or "greedy oil corporations," or....

Everyday work problems are complex and have nuances, for most of us, I'll bet, but gas prices? Reasons they're high aren't a bit difficult to understand, as long as there's some group to identify and despise: usually along the lines of one's personal bias; Hitman hates "buractaic tree huggers"(sic); someone else may despise Big Oil and the White House.

I'm not ashamed to admit I don't understand the reasons gas prices have increased so dramatically in the last few years. It's frustrating, because I can't cheaply retool -- my truck is a V8 Tundra, wife's car is a V6, and freakin' boat (there's a necessity) is a 2-stroke V6.

At the same time, like tens of millions of other Americans, while it hurts, it doesn't *really* hurt yet -- it's another bump, just like cellphone bills, Netflix subscriptions, XM radio, cable, broad-band, etc., etc.

I feel we're like the proverbial frog in the pot of cold water, on a burner. At some point....OUCH!

• 9 months later...

Well, don't look to the gubment for help. They are too busy trying to hang a 5 year old drug rap on an old retired baseball player. You would think that they were investigating the theft of national secrets.

I always take flack over this statement. I would not be upset over a decrease in the national maximum speed limit. If you will test it by driving the speed limit or less, you will see that the gas consumption on your vehicle decreases. In my 2001 GMC Sierra with the 6.0 gas engine, the instant gas mileage indicator on flat road will go from 17 to 23 mpg when the speed is decreased from 75 to 55. The gas mileage indicator may not be exactly right, but the relation of speed to consumption is.

JMHO,

FWIW,

don't flame me too bad. :surprise:

dj

Well, don't look to the gubment for help. They are too busy trying to hang a 5 year old drug rap on an old retired baseball player. You would think that they were investigating the theft of national secrets.

I always take flack over this statement. I would not be upset over a decrease in the national maximum speed limit. If you will test it by driving the speed limit or less, you will see that the gas consumption on your vehicle decreases. In my 2001 GMC Sierra with the 6.0 gas engine, the instant gas mileage indicator on flat road will go from 17 to 23 mpg when the speed is decreased from 75 to 55. The gas mileage indicator may not be exactly right, but the relation of speed to consumption is.

JMHO,

FWIW,

don't flame me too bad. :surprise:

dj

Flack

Suddenly (and I do mean suddenly) petrol prices leaped about $0.40/gallon...!! I'm back to paying at least $3.56/gallon for this dreck. Thank God my commute to work is only one mile. Still, I'm putting off errand-running adventures around town until I can cluster at least three at a time--just to save fuel. Jeez. :angry2:

I am seriously considering getting a hybrid. If I wasn't convinced that I would die on a houston freeway on a motorcycle, then I would do that.

I think one thing is certain. The trend will continue up as world-wide demand increases. Those of us who cannot afford it will have to adapt.

I got my wife a Prius and I ride a motorcycle most days (Suzuki DL650 - 50-55mpg!) I traded off my Valkyrie a year ago because even that (~30mpg) was getting expensive for trips! I only take the my F-150 pickup when I need it haul something, setup a match, or the weather's real nasty. It's $50 in gas to most matches if I have to take the truck these days. I wouldn't be shooting much if I didn't have the bike right now. I try to only take the truck to my home club's matches, where I feel obligated to help haul stuff around. Even then, I try to get someone to ride with me and split gas costs. Gas and lead prices...damn this sport is getting expensive! :angry2:

I have an 80 mile commute 5 days/week, and I had to ditch my 4y/o paid off Ford Explorer because I couldn't afford the fuel costs. It was actually cheaper to buy a smaller vehicle. Even with the payment (!*#$!)I still saved $75/month a year and a half ago. I imagine the money saved is quite a bit more significant now.

I also ditched the 4y/o jet boat (also paid for), as 3 MPG out in the bay sucked rotten eggs. The price of fuel has seriously curtailed my trips and general screw-offery on the weekends, but it could be worse.... at least I can still afford to play our game, and as long as I'm here and ready to step up to the line and LAMR, then I have to admit I'm doing ok financially, Florida DCF be damned.