Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limcat Or Bedell

Rather-B-Huntin

I'm considering purchasing either a Limcat Dragoncat .38 Supercomp or a Bedell Shorty in .38 Super. Both are preowned guns, both less than 1,000 rounds fired, both the same price. I'm just breaking into Open, and want to start out with a good gun that will last me a long time.

The Limcat is nearly new and totally decked out with hardchrome and a bunch of goodies but no mags.

The Bedell is three years old, blued, but well kept and hardly used and comes with one big stick and three 140mm mags with Arredondo internals.

Which one should I go for??? I am familiar with Bedell's guns as I know Chuck at Shooters Connection and several folks who shoot them. Never had the chance to handle or even see a Limcat "in the flesh".

Can't help you with a Lim vs. Bedell question, but as far as shorty vs. fullszie... you should try to shoot a shorty before you buy one. I notice there are a lot of shorty's in the classifieds lately, and if you scrape past the top layer of ad-speak, many of them hint at something along the lines of "I'm selling the shorty because I decided I like a full-size gun better"

$.02

Bruce ("I decided I like a full-size gun better....")

If you are saying that the Limcat Dragoncat is the same price as a three year old Bedell then you are getting a hell of a deal with the Limcat. The Dragoncat cost about $4k brand new. Have you seen a Dragoncat? If not, check this thread.

Open Guns

Shoot them both and see which one feels better. If you can't shoot both then get the one you like the looks of better. Both are great guns and in the right hands could win the Nationals.

If it were me? I would take the one without barrel ports, if both are ported I would want the one with ports furthest from me. They make for a horribly loud gun, and so far that is the biggest hurdle for me getting going in Open. I just don't like the blast and concussion. I built a full sized gun with no ports for that reason, then took the weight out of it so it handles more like a shorty. I do think the shorty handles better, but I get that from a 5" gun so it is pretty much like having your cake and eating it too.

Shoot both, or a variation to both as close as you can get.

Some people like the shorty guns, some don't. I personally don't care for them......too 'violent'. It's just a personal thing, so try before you buy.

I like a longer gun, and don't really feel it handicaps anything--but again, very personal thing. Ford vs. Chevy thing. :)

Good luck. I do have to say they are both pretty. I have seen pics of the Limcat and it is a b-e-a-u-t-y-- all of the Bedell guns are cool too.

Keep in mind not all short guns are the same. Some use a shorter recoil system which to me is more violent. We use a 5" recoil system which is why when Max shot a bedell he was surprised at the way it felt compared to other short guns he has shot. I am still taking orders for 4 short guns for every 5" gun. I agree it is a personal preference.

I had a long open gun built in '03 and never shot it much. Shortly afer getting it I decided to focus on Production and after 3 years in Production, I then decided to do something different. I have recently found myself as the owner/operator of a shorty 9mm. I really like the way it handles. It's super light (sorry, subjective only as I haven't weighed it yet...) and very quick cycling, I mean real quick. It's balanced well (no top/front heavy feel) and points great (no tendency to overswing targets, etc.). It's also reliable, which is paramount. As far as being violent and loud; I just don't notice that at all (I use double protection :rolleyes: ), and I just came from shooting 129PF ammo for 3 years...

I guess you just won't know until you try it. I know, that probably doesn't help at all, sorry. :D

Good hunting...

I just sold a 4.5" brazos with a standard commander length recoil system to a local shooter. He took it out with another shooter that went from a shorty to a full length gun (from the same popular smith) due to recoil issues. Both agreed that the brazos was flatter than the full length gun.

Just because it's a shorty doesn't necessarily mean it has to be violent.

Shorty, or 5"...... "flat" is great, but the flattest guns I've tried so far, subjectively (IMMs and a Brazos Pro Sx) were also what I would describe as "violent". The dot jittered in the lens, but did not rise much..... but it impacted your hand rearward, your fillings rattled, and your face got slapped. That to me is "violent", not the dot movement per se.

My old SV 5" with a regular comp had more dot movement, but it did not "feel" violent. Soft shooting and a trackable dot is more to my liking. Each to his own. ;)

I don't think you can go wrong with either - the Bedell is surely a quality gun; but if it was my choice I'd spring for the Limcat, they just have such a unique cool look to them!

Edited by sfinney

Shorty, or 5"...... "flat" is great, but the flattest guns I've tried so far, subjectively (IMMs and a Brazos Pro Sx) were also what I would describe as "violent". The dot jittered in the lens, but did not rise much..... but it impacted your hand rearward, your fillings rattled, and your face got slapped. That to me is "violent", not the dot movement per se.

When I'm shooting the brazos, I don't notice the blast. When I'm RO'ing someone shooting a ported gun, then I definitely notice it.

I have a dragoncat that I had last year and really like it. My friend has a shorty bedell but have not shot it. It really depends on what you want and like to shoot( Price wise and so-on).

I have a shorty Benny Hill which I really like to shoot but it is a little bit snappier. Dot wise-stays there but feel the kick more than my dragoncat. Transition wise I like the Benny Hill shorty due faster splits but sometimes I go apst the target 'coz it is lighter. I think I jsut have to get use to the shorty than my dragoncat which is @ 4.75 inch in length and better control as for now. Goodluck. You won't go wrong whichever you decide to purchase and shoot.

All right I will. I shoot a Limcat Razorcat and love the gun to death. Shoots a lot softer than my Infinity Open Masterpiece, which was too snappy and way too loud. I found myself flinching and could never get comfortable with the gun and lost my mojo for a while.

The Razorcat is extremely reliable, I've put about two thousand rounds thru it without a failure since I got it back from hardchroming. It's fast cycling but soft shooting. Trigger is very light and crisp with a very short reset. It balances well in my hand and swings nice.

My scores have increased dramaticly since I started shooting this gun. The proof is in the pudding.

http://www.obcats.com/obcats-scores/2007-0...20divisions.htm

Don't know how I missed this for this long but.....here's my take.

I have only handled a couple of Limcat limited guns. But if the fit and finish is indicative of Johny's work then I doubt you will be disappointed in the Limcat.

However, I will always have to give the nod to Dan. My Bedell has been absolutely flawless and the firsthand experience of Chuck and Dan is absolutely second to none. Sometimes I think Chuck should be marketing Dan's guns as "Spent Brass Producers" rather than guns.

Good luck, Craig

Bedell!

(only if you want to improve with little effort)

9x21,

So that's your secret :lol:

I've never shot a Limcat so I cannot comment on those (I have heard good things about them).

+1 on the Bedell - I have a couple of pistols Dan made and have no complaints - The pistols are well built, accurate and reliable (when I cull my brass).

I purchase my Bedell after seeing PMD's and 9x21's guns. While mine looks just like theirs, for some reason it doesn't shoot as fast. :)

Chuck and Dan have been very helpful and easy to talk to on the phone, customer service has been excellent. I had a issue caused by my re-sizing die, Dan returned my emails and phone call very quickly

Edited by Supermoto

Can't comment about Limcat as I have no experience with them.

Last year I bought twin Bedell shortys in 9mm major for my father and I. Together, we have at least 20k through them, and we've been very happy with the performance, and the entire experience in building them with Chuck and Dan.

Recently, dad took delivery of a 5" Bedell in 9mm major as he wanted to try a 5" gun. The 5" gun is identical to the shorty in every other respect (same comp, no ports or holes in the barrel, same components, etc). The 5" gun is flatter and is worth 50 fps over the shorty with the same load (7.8 grains of 3N37 with a 125 grn Zero JHP loaded to 1.165).

Based on our experiences, a 5" gun with a Ti comp is the better way to go, especially in 9mm (major).

Hope that helps,

Scott

Recently, dad took delivery of a 5" Bedell in 9mm major as he wanted to try a 5" gun. The 5" gun is identical to the shorty in every other respect (same comp, no ports or holes in the barrel, same components, etc). The 5" gun is flatter and is worth 50 fps over the shorty with the same load

You're definately going to lose some velocity with a short gun especially if it has ports. I have to load 8.8gr of HS-6 to comfortably make major when other guys can make it with 10% less powder.

On the other hand I really like how the shorter, lighter gun handles. It is very well balanced and doesn't have that top heavy feel to it that many longer guns have. After all, it's the ports that are doing the work, you don't need the extra mass...

It's going to be subjective, so you're going to have to see what feels good to you.

Another important factor to consider is customer service from your gunsmith. How willing to help is he going to be after the sale; how available is he; what's his customer service track record? I've heard nothing but good things about Bedell and Brazos, not to mention I've had good experience with Errol of Keal custom.

Edited by Turtle

No, he does not. He is a machinist by trade involved in other projects, but he is also a shooter and enjoys building guns. His work is done through referrals so as to keep his numbers manageable and his customers happy. B)

Turtle, Does Errol of Keal Custom have a website?

Hello-

Errol Lawson is one of "the good, caring guys" who thoroughly enjoys the Sport. You can reach him at (754) 224-9104. Tell him I sent you. You will probably disrupt his newly found duties as a "farm boy", maybe even out on the barn, milking a goat. :o:P:D