Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ion Bond?

firematt100

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Well here are a few more pics of my IONBOND caspian Long slide 9mm. Just got back from the range with it and I think I will keep this one for a while. Put another 350 rounds thru it with out a hick-up. It is seriously accurate, as in 5 shots into 1/2" at 30', just rested as i do not own a ransom rest. Also did a little plinking at a steel plate at 80 yards. I did not hit it every time but enough to put a big smile on my face. Most of the pistol is done in Satin and the sights are matte, and the slide flats are gloss. Doing some drills at the range i drew from the holster (blade tech DOH Kydex) about 100 times and after this range sesion there is absolutely no signs of wear to the finish.

post-6767-1208472978.jpg

post-6767-1208472995.jpg

post-6767-1208473015.jpg

Ryan,

Is Ionbond a true "PVD" coating like what is on my benchmade knives? I'm only asking because I want to make absolutely sure that this finish will not crack or flake on my new 6" gun. Is there a warranty or guarantee on the coating not chipping, scratching or flaking? I love the gun parkerized, but I cant stand wear marks or little scatches. I am also soooo sick of all my hard chrome guns! I want to be different but I want the smoothness, reliability, and hardness of chrome w/o the gun being chrome itself. I saw Infinicoats ultra deep black and it looks really nice and shiny like a new mercedes; yet it looks like something too easily scratched or possibly even flake off. If thats the case then I will have to either find a real PVD or be like everyone else and chrome my gun... :rolleyes:

SV

Check out IONBOND.com as there is a lot of good info there. Click on the tab Technology and select Tetrabond. According to this info it is an enhanced form of PVD. My reciept from IONBOND stated it was Tetrabond.

Nice!

That is exaclty how I am going to get my 6" slide done after I get it lightened. I wanted the polished (not mrror but brushed) slide of the slide and matte everything else.

What did you specifiy to get the slide liek that? Was it brushed flats?

Thanks,

Neal in AZ

Just got my Caspian 6" high cap back from IONBOND. It looks awsome in person, photos do it no justice.

I did not really specify, i just told ryan what I had in mind and he suggested the polished slide flats and that is how they came out. the slide flats were already brushed, if you will, when it came from caspian, but it seemed a bit coarser than it looks now, but maybe that is an illusion due to the finish??? I am sure ryan will do whatever you specify.

• 4 weeks later...
Haven't kept up with this to much but what is the best deal going right now for Ionbonding a complete STI?

I'm not sure either but I am still interested in a group send in to get the quantity discount either this coming winter or when I get the $ together to order a backup gun from Chuck and Dan

• 1 month later...

One of the things I like about Hard Chrome is that it's very easy to remove fouling when I finally do get around to cleaning.

How does Ionbond compare to HC for cleaning?

thanks,

-todd

One of the things I like about Hard Chrome is that it's very easy to remove fouling when I finally do get around to cleaning.

How does Ionbond compare to HC for cleaning?

thanks,

-todd

Just as easy, mostly wipe it down, lube and put it back together.-------------Larry

• 3 months later...

John Harrison did a custom job for me on a Colt Series 70 and he suggested I have it finished in Ionbond DLC. I got the pistol back in June and I could not be happier with the work or the finish. Hasn't worn at all and is a breeze to clean. Below are a few images:

post-16225-1224296899_thumb.jpg

post-16225-1224296910_thumb.jpg

I chose not to have the barrel, bushing, hammer and trigger finished because I prefer that look.

Edited by joedel

John Harrison did a custom job for me on a Colt Series 70 and he suggested I have it finished in Ionbond DLC.

Very solid first post!!

Welcome to the forum. I like you already......

Thanks for the welcome!

• 1 month later...

I have to get my pistols into the mix too! This pistol is the Tactical 40 with chrome on the frame and Diamond IonBond on the slide. Scott Springer of SpringerPercision.com (forum dealer) did an outstanding job and in a very quick turn-around time. I was so pleased that he has my JP AR, Benelli Shotgun and Limited STI 9mm right now and as soon as I get these back I will post just because...I can:-)

Very pleased but one thing I did learn from the IonBond experience is you shouldn't keep the IonBond coated product in a cloth/materal that will soak up the oil. The IonBond will hold the lube very well but putting the pistol into the stock STI case (foam) will let all the lube transfer to the foam. I put my pistol in the same case but with a zip-lock bag to protect both the foam and the oil on the pistol.

Enjoy:

post-11094-1228773020_thumb.jpg

post-11094-1228773032_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Well here are a few more pics of my IONBOND caspian Long slide 9mm. Just got back from the range with it and I think I will keep this one for a while. Put another 350 rounds thru it with out a hick-up. It is seriously accurate, as in 5 shots into 1/2" at 30', just rested as i do not own a ransom rest. Also did a little plinking at a steel plate at 80 yards. I did not hit it every time but enough to put a big smile on my face. Most of the pistol is done in Satin and the sights are matte, and the slide flats are gloss. Doing some drills at the range i drew from the holster (blade tech DOH Kydex) about 100 times and after this range sesion there is absolutely no signs of wear to the finish.

What kind of rear sight is on this gun? Looks pretty low profile.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my second STI Tactical with the Ion-Bond Diamond black on top and the Gray Ion-Bond bottom. Just a little more subdue than my previous post of the Diamond black top with a dull chrome bottom. I really like this Gray Ion-Bond:-)

Love the Ion-Bond!

Scott

post-11094-1230355227_thumb.jpg

post-11094-1230355233_thumb.jpg

post-11094-1230355240_thumb.jpg

The gray is spose to be the same hardness as the Diamond black...same process but because of the change of tanks and different solution Ion-Bond is talking about not having this avialible in the future. For availibility please drop Scott Springer a line or call him. SpringerPrecision.com or 541-480-5546 and he is a forum dealer too.

RLTW,

Scott Hawkins