Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how to fall with style.

skeeter

got another one. indiana state match a couple of years ago we had a big stage that had it all, long shoots disappearing and reappearing targets lots of steel. i got to the line and had a smoking run till the very end where some steel hadn't been reset, so i get a reshoot. so on the reshoot i go fast into this window and lay waste i was great! turn to run to the next window and it happens, both feet come out from under me and i'm running in mid air hit the ground head first( someone said i looked like pete rose) tore up knees, elbows lost alot of time that i tried to make up and  ended up with a mike and still finished in the top 20 on that stage ain't life grand?

• 5 weeks later...

Happened to me too,  a little more then a year ago. Started sitting in chair, came burning off the first 3 targets, reloaded, and it had been raining so the groung was wet, and was mud, both feet came of from under me..... Into the mud my face goes, I stand up to make up a shot, started moving before I broke the shot and broke the 180. Oh well, now I've joined the 'have been' DQ'ed club.

• 4 months later...

how about this, at the area 4 match in 1997. rain overnite, dry stream is now running 6 ft. wide, hall ass, jump water, hit, feet goes north, arms goes south, complete rotator cuff blow-out & bi-cept mussle seperation.  1 yr. lost.

• 3 weeks later...

Running towards box #2 my feet got tangled up in the box and before I know it i'm flying!!! When I hit the ground, My buddies tell me that I fell with great style. I rolled around once always muzzle pointed downrange. They say it looked like a planned fall!!!!!!!!!

The first time I wore my Adidas GSG-9 boots to a match, I was testing them by running box-to-box on grass. No gun, prior to the match beginning.

I hit the first box a bit too fast. My feet stopped, but my body continued, and down I went

No damage, but it certainly got a laugh from the assembled multitudes!

At our club they put down sawdust and here in Oregon it’s been known to rain a little in the wintertime.  Three shooting boxes, in a row, running towards the targets. The first, undercover nice and dry and the rest of them out in the soupy, wet sawdust.

Okay, it’s the first stage of my very first match.  LAMR, shoot the first box and my second step out I go flat on my face!  I wipe the slime off of my gun and proceed, only to find I’d dropped my mags!

I was new and I’m a big guy so no one laughed… right away.  When we went to the next stage one of the guys quietly told me that I didn’t have to SLIDE into home and another thoughtfully mention that this new stage didn’t have a prone section either!

Ain’t  this sport grand!

• 2 months later...

Had a similar event happen to me. Shooting my local match, was moving to last box which was 2X4's screwed together. It had been raining that day and went to slow down on my last step before the box, both feet slid kicking the box about 5 feet away form me. Ended up sitting where the box used to be. Did not know if this was a range failure for the box so for a second I just sat there staring at the targets. Luckily for me I fell while Todd Jarrett (how embarressing!) was standing there getting ready in the next group for that stage. He procceded to wake me from my stupor by yelling for me to finish shooting while sitting there. I did and to my amazement ended up 13th on the stage and it being a classifier had a 61% for that stage.

I would like to add to Benny's story that he got up after nearly tearing his arm off(lol) and finished shooting the rest of the stage onehanded. That was a long time ago, I was 15 then and I can still remember seeing his feet fly above his head. I had a fall myself this past Area 2 on a sheet of plywood. I feel square on my back and finished shooting the stage IDPA style from being a shopping cart,lol. I still had one of the fastest times on the stage. The point of these two stories are NEVER QUIT. Keep shooting unless the RO stops you.

I slipped on wet ground and went down back in 1995 in my very first exposure to IPSC-style shooting. Fortunately, I was trained to keep that trigger finger in the wind when I was moving and not shooting.

Last summer when I was first getting around with a walker or can (lower back injury), I was okay at an IDPA match until after the last stage. I was feeling guilty about letting other people pick up my magazines and stuff, so I tried to get one on my own. At some point of "bend," my left leg went numb and then I was rolling in the gravel. Some of the other people in the squad thought I'd keeled over with a heart attack because apparently I made on of those bleeting sheep noises as I fell. :huh:

Earlier this year, we shot at skeeter's club on small glacier. Ice everywhere! I survived the match, but afterward while I was standing by my truck I realized my feet were no longer on the ground. This was kinda cool because some guys got to actually watch me fall (apparently I do so gracefully :P ) and they thought I was joking until I actually hit the ice. :wacko:

Yesterday I was at another club helping erect a safety rules sign. I was lifting a 4x4 post out of a hole and trying to be careful not to hurt my back. Unfortunately there was a railroad tie and a bag of cement behind me. I stayed on the ground to contemplate my recklessness for about 10 minutes after that. :unsure:

My "best" spill was taken at the 1997 Area 5 match. There was a point in the stage were you had to go prone to engage targets through a ground level port. I was excited because it my first BIG match, and apparently I was influence subconsciously by watching the regular guys going prone in my squad. Instead of carefully getting onto the ground, I dove (dived?) and hit torso first. Later I was told I made an odd noise when I hit, but all I heard was the rest of the squad cringing and groaning in sympathy for some poor schlump who'd just taken a nasty fall. :lol: That one did some damage, but I finished the stage. I pointed my gun through the port, sprayed and prayed. I got all C hits. Heh.

I've been there...

Last year shooting an IDPA stage. Had to shoot one away the run laterally across the bay to shoot another. Shot the first array, exploded (a little too fast) out of first position, lost tractioni on gravel and went flying across the range shooting at targets while in the air. After I finsihed the course I got a lot of style props.

This past Sunday, I was Ro'ing my squad. I was inside our shoothouse checking the targets for holes and making sure everyone was out when I backed up over a concrete block holding a wall down (that I put there Saturday, no less) and took 12' of running backwards before I finally fell down. I immediately jumped up and realized that only 1 person saw me, and he was more worried about me than I was. No injuries, just my pride....

I spend a lot of time on the ground during matches - they don't call me Kathy Klutz for nothing!

Two of the best ones - Ya had to pull a rope to activate a turner, which I did, but the rope wrapped around my leg, multiple times, and of course, I didn't know this. Dave says the crowd had the most horrified expressions on their faces cause they KNEW I was eating gravel and there was nothing any of them could do.

The other good one is my hay bail fall. Got up on it okay, shot the targets, went to jump down only to find my toes were under the bailing wire - AAAAUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHHHHH. Some spectators said I looked Charlie Brown when Lucy pulls the football away.

Oh - and both of these falls were so bad, I couldn't get up to keep shooting and took DNF's on 'em :( That's the worst part, you hurt your pride, you hurt your body and then ya gotta take a damned zero on a stage to boot! :angry:

My most graceful moment occurred several years ago on a stage where you had to carry a life size dummy with you through the first half of a stage while shooting targets. Once you went through a doorway you could drop the dummy and shoot the remaining targets.

Well the dummy caught on the doorway (which was one of those portable doorways you can place on the range and then stake down) but since I was running pretty fast and holding the dummy tight instead of dropping the dummy, I pulled the whole doorway on my head. The next thing I knew was when I pushed the doorway off and stood up. Didn't drop the gun, and the safety was on, but when I stood up I noticed that I was facing uprange - didn't finish the stage or the match.

Since the doorway hit me mostly on the head there was no permanent injury - except a bruised ego and wounded pride.

My fall wasn't self induced, I had help. Team shoot, two shooters engaging targets at the same time, one providing cover as the other moved etc.

My partner stumbled over a rut and struck me in the small of the back (he's about 800 lbs :lol: or so it seemed at the time) the spectators swore that the back of my head actually touched his belt, this with my feet planted firmly on the ground. I couldn't breath and moving was a real chore, in fact I didn't move and the ambulance arrived and off I went. It wasn't till we got to the hospital, in the Xray that anyone realised that I was still armed :blink:

Ever see a technician handle a pistol like it was going to bite them? If I hadn't been in so much pain, I would have laughed myself sick.

Came out of it with bruised kidney's, strained muscles and some swelling. Moving was done very cautiously for quite some time afterward.

• 4 weeks later...

'96 Nationals in Virginia. I was wearing the soccer cleats I use on the gravel of my home range. Dug in hard into that red Virginia clay and promptly blew out my Achilles tendon. I fell flat on my face, but kept the muzzle safely downrange, and then got up, hopped on my good leg to the last box and finished the stage. :wacko: Now I use a less aggressive "all terrain" soled shoe.

• 4 weeks later...
how about this, at the area 4 match in 1997. rain overnite, dry stream is now running 6 ft. wide, hall ass, jump water, hit, feet goes north, arms goes south, complete rotator cuff blow-out & bi-cept mussle seperation.  1 yr. lost.

Yeah, I saw that one Benny, I was in your squad - that looked PAINFUL. :wacko:

Shaun

• 2 weeks later...

It happened this year on a 3-gun match. I was moving between two shooting boxes (a bit too fast perhaps) when I stumbled in the grass. To avoid a huge head on collision with mother earth I let go of my MP5SF and made a forward roll (not too elengant one :rolleyes: ). Before the ref could have stopped me, I jumped up, grabbed the carbine and finished the stage. It was a crowd pleaser for sure. :D

So my very first DQ happened in a rather exotic way...

I almost feel down three times today.

Two times I stepped on a big chunk of gravel and twisted my ankle. Once I was switching sides of a barricade during a stage and almost fell over when I I did it. The latter was partly due to the heat!

• 2 weeks later...

I'lll let my first post here be my tale of falling.

At the 2000 Limited nationals, there was a stage that was all shooting through ports. You had to shoot a few, then round a corner into a small "hallway", with more ports. Well, as I rounded the corner, my left foot went sliding while my right foot was in the air. I hit the ground hard, but kept the gun downrange. I bounced up and finished the stage.

The RO clears me, then asks if I'm all right. I say yeah. He says, "look at your knee." I say OH GOD!. I looked down and saw my knee peeled open, blood flowing out of my wound. So I sat down and started washing it out, as the RO called for a paramedic to stage 15. Well, Arnie Christiansen beats the paramedic up, then it seems like everyone in USPSA is showing up. I guess calling for a paramedic at a shooting match will set off some alarms.

Well, almost three years later, I can still see spots of Pennsylvania coal in my knee.

lstage15.jpg