Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

High Capacity Ar Magazines

L9X25

I take a bunch of 30's, a couple 20's, a 40, a 45 and my Beta. The 30's get me through most stages. The 40 and 45 are nice on short range stages but they suck to go prone with. That's where the Beta shines. Nice low profile. It's entirely possible to get by with only using 30's or 20's. Heck it's possible to go shoot the Open Nationals with a Limited gun or even a singlestack. The downside is you're giving up options. It's the same as golf. I'd rather have more club choices than not enough.

It's all well and good to say that good course design will alleviate the courses where there is nowhere to do a reload. But, I've shot a lot of matches with poor (okay, they were really fun) course design. I lost about 4 places at Superstition a few years ago because I had to do a reload on a rifle stage. Wasn't so much the reload as just having switched to Arredondo's mag bridge and forgot my spare went bye-bye when I hit the mag release. Took a little while to go back and fish it out of the dirt.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In tiger valley they put me towards the end of the line because they knew my .308 was going to tear somthing up, and boy did I. I had only 3- 20 round mags and the first mag was, I guess you could call Heavy auto firing? You could see targets fling one way and stands fling the other way. I would have finished if I would have had 1 more mag. so in Heavy Metal ( the toughest of them all) You should have at least 4 mags.

• 2 weeks later...
Thankfully my "rifle" reloads far faster than anybody else's and I did not lose too much to the big mag guys.

So fill us in, what kind of "rifle" were you using?

The last rifle match I shot, I used this. It works great as long as you are shooting at pistol-distances. It reloads and handles more like a handgun than a rifle : )

DSC03192.jpg

Thankfully my "rifle" reloads far faster than anybody else's and I did not lose too much to the big mag guys.

So fill us in, what kind of "rifle" were you using?

The last rifle match I shot, I used this. It works great as long as you are shooting at pistol-distances. It reloads and handles more like a handgun than a rifle : )

Many of the local 3-gun matches use pistol bays that restrict distance to a max of about 50 yards and even that is fairly rare. For those matches we built a Mech-Tech pistol caliber carbine using an SV bottom and it is chambered in (you guessed it) 9x25. Since we are using the same magazines as the pistol, we use the same mag pouches. The gun reloads just like the pistol (that it really is) and no practice is needed. The carbine could be used effectively out to about 100 yards since the projectiles travel at nearly 2000fps. It is fun and I feel more comfortable spraying bullets out of the trash rifle than needlessly wearing out a nice rifle with expensive ammo.

Leo

What does a 50 round mag look like? I want pictures!

I think you can monopod from the kneeling position :lol: But, I think I want one....or more

That's why I wanted a picture! I may be able to monopod from standing...some others on here too!

L9x25, how does your rifle reload faster than anyone's else's? How can it be so fast as not lose any time to the one's that don't reload. I need to learn this method, please.

Benny,

There is no magic here beyond the fact that reloading a Hi-cap S_I pistol is usually considerably faster than reloading an AR. I never said that it reloaded so fast that is was faster than not reloading, only that it was faster than reloading an AR. I've seen lots of videos here of folks doing sub 1 second pistol reloads but have yet to see the same with an AR.

As has been mentioned before, good (even mediocre) stage design will give you the opportunity to make a quick reload while moving between shooting positions that is virtually off the clock. If the reload takes longer, it will not likely be "off the clock". I think that having a Beta might slow you down some, with the extra weight, but I am not going to make that claim.

Leo

I been using my MWG "90-rounder" Snail drum magazine and has NEVER failed since I've been using it. Other guys with betas I see get occasional jamming problems. It looks cheap/plastic compared to the Beta but eveybody that sees it is surprised its so reliable. I think the manufacture even has a gaurantee not to jam. I bought it used (LNIB) for $80. I think they retail for a little over $120 new. Not cheap, but not Beta mag expensive either. The guys setting up the stage occasionally set up 42+ rifle stages so the 40 mag guys have to reload too. I use this mag for everything that doesn't require a mandatory reload (like a rifle bill drill).

Only complaint is that loaded up full it pulls the guns balance off to the left side. Loaded with 45 rounds it stays pretty balanced. I'm a lefty and it hangs off the left side of the gun. A right handed shooter would have to cradle it in the crook of your off hand I would imagine. Nothing like the look on the guys with 30 rounders when you wip out that huge drum!

Well, perish the thought, maybe we should limit magazine capacity in Tactical like we do in LTD and Production etc. Let the Open guys have the Betas and whatever and the LTD/Tactical guys use 30s or smaller...??????

this oughta spark something off

Mick,

We beat that up a couple of months ago. While I'm pro 30 round mag limits for Limited and Tactical (because we do limit mag capacity in other divisions of USPSA) it doesn't appear to ever going to happen. The argument was that Limited and Tac guys apparently don't want to do reloads.

For the record I shoot Open 3-Gun like 99% of the time and my longest mag are 40's (and will admittedly try some of the DPMS 45's but I will not EVER use a Beta).

Rich