Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A Carry Gun Poll For Idpa Shooters

MichiganShootist

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I carry and compete with the same guns and holsters, usually a 4" S&W revolver of some description or a 4-5" bottomfeeder (currently a Beretta 92 Brigadier). Usually I use leather holsters, though I have a few kydex holsters for the autos. Putting a blued S&W revolver in a kydex holster is just wrong on so many levels. ;)

Funny... RevChuck and I shoot the same IDPA matches. Dude is scary accurate with a wheelgun.

Need more parameters for the poll. Yes, I occasionally use my carry gear, SIG 229 .40/Galco concealable or a Wilson CQB .45/Galco concealable (or some other 1911 .45). More often, though, I use one of my Para limited blasters that will fit in the box and a kydex rig. Then there are the times when I break out something just for the hell of it, like a P7M8. Springfield 1911 9mm gets some action also. One of these days I'm gonna get it together and take a wheelgun for a spin, just gotta pony up for a rig or two to play with.

Aaarrrgghhh,... so many guns, so little time. :blink:

• 4 weeks later...

I carry my 4" 625 with full lug barrel and I carry concealed all the time. My carry load does 218 PF and I do compete with that load from time to time. My carry holster is the El Paso Street Combat, which is really not all that much a disadvantage in a match.

My "other" carry gun is a 4" Redhawk in .45 Colt which fits in the same holster. I am told that these days it is too heavy for SSR and that would make me a gamer, even though my loads chrono at 240 PF.

I have great contempt for semiautos as carry guns and carry them concealed only when going to the range or a match where I will use them.

Dave Sinko

How about both? I shoot a GLOCK 27 that's been converted to .357 SIG and has a +1 grip extension and night-sights in the matches and carry it too. IDPA considers it a BUG, but I've won a few locals with it in the CDP class. My "truck gun" is a Rossi 6 shot, 3" .357 that I sometimes shoot in matches, so I'm not sure how to answer the poll.

Alan~^~

I shoot a Glock 27, in IDPA & USPSA production, and it is my primary carry gun during the warmer months of the year.

During the cooler months, I transition to a Glock 20 for carry and shoot limited w/it.

Shooting the guns I carry, makes the matches just that much funner.

Good shooting,

Jay

With me it will depend. While at work I carry my issued glock 22 and a snubnose revolver in .38 caliber. Off duty I carry a glock 26 or my snubbie. While shooting idpa or ipsc i will use a glock 34,35,21 or my kimber .45.

People seem to forget that practice is practice and life is life. Hopefully you can pick-up any working gun and hit a target or threat if need be. IDPA is a game not real life. If you compete in a sport or game you should use the best possible weapon to win that game.

• 2 weeks later...
I only shot about a half dozen IDPA matches this year but I did use my Kahr PM9 and my Glock 38 or 39, all of which are my carry guns depending on weather or dress code, and the IWB holsters I carry them in. I even snuck into expert, barely, with the Kahr on the classifier.

I'm not worthy :o

Absolutely cool. I don't think that I would make it with my CW9.

I shoot the G34 in the matches and if I need to have something on me the CW9. I be a gamer. ;)

Rick

IDPA SSP // USPSA Production : Glock 34

IDPA CDP // USPSA Single Stack : S&W 1911

IDPA ESP // USPSA Limited/L10: Para P-16 40 Limited

IDPA SSR // USPSA Revolver: Ruger GP-100

IDPA BUG // Always with me in a front pocket: Seecamp .32

IDPA BUG // On me when when it aint too hot to wear a concealment garment:

Kimber Ultra Carry II

I am a gamer, in every sense of the word. But I do make it a point to practice regularly with my carry guns, as everyone should!

Oh yeah, my GP-100 rides "shotgun" tucked between the seat of my truck, and for home protection I keep a Bushmaster Carbon 15 9mm carbine loaded with the first five Cor-Bon Pow-R-Ball, the rest of the mag holding 147 gr. Hydra-Shok.

I use my Glock 19 and a C.T.A.C. holster, which is my carry rig. I started IDPA (and then USPSA) to get practice using them under pressure (yeah, I know it's just a game, but adrenaline IS adrenaline).

Now I'm having so much fun w/ IDPA and USPSA that I'm about to buy a gun just for competition. Addictive games, BTW. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Neither voting option describes my carry vs IDPA gun. I carry a XD-9 or XD-45 service with tritium night sights as my CCW. I shoot a XD-9 service with fiber optic sights in IDPA. I switch around holsters depending on my mood, for both CC and IDPA.

Now, ask me if I wear a 5.11 tactical vest on the street :D

Do you wear a 5.11 tactical vest on the street?

Nope!

Actually, I did wear my 5.11 vest into a drug store on the way to an IPDA match last year and was asked by the cashier if I was "like going on safari" or something.

Neither! Shoot in more than one divison and always use an IWB on the street.

CCW gun, presently is a G36 whitch don't really consider a BUG. 'DPA is simply a game and fun with other like-mined shooters to me. Practice is two-fold: for games it's done with the guns used for it & CCW, likewise....

I carry my Keltec 9mm with the belt clip most of the time and my HK P-7 the rest.I don't shoot IDPA much but when I do I use my Keltec cliped inside my waist band and a T-shirt over it spare mags in my back pocket....rock and roll! :ph34r:

Do you wear a 5.11 tactical vest on the street?

Nope!

Actually, I did wear my 5.11 vest into a drug store on the way to an IPDA match last year and was asked by the cashier if I was "like going on safari" or something.

When people ask about my vest I just explain that I have to cover the 44 mag I carry. Anyone who knows me realizes I am just poking fun at folks as I really carry a .475 Linebaugh..... ;)

Winter I carry my EGW Modified 1911 with an on the belt Safariland 560, along with my J Frame in a coat pocket. Summer time, IWB Wilson Combat Leather with the 1911, or my XD 40 service on the belt in Rosen UPL or Rosen IWB and J Frame in a Renegade Ankle holster. If I have shorts, crotch holster for the J-Frame.

Okay........ Let's see what people REALLY carry as a personal protection pistol.

I know there are a ton of shooters out there who stow their S & W 625... and carry a J frame..... Or trade their Glock 34 for a 26 after the match.

What do you carry??????????????????

I personally shoot primarily Government sized 1911s in CDP and ESP... and carry a Springfield Ultra Carry 9 mm 1911, a Colt Officer's Model 1911,---- or a Kahr PM - 9