Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Goodbye 1911s

Joe D

I have been playing around with various 1911/2011 platforms for the last year. I have done a good bit of comparison testing also. Bottom line - I shoot Glocks better than I do 1911/2011 guns. The 1911/2011 guns have become "safe queens". OTOH I may just sell them all.

Some folks point out that 1911 triggers are better. Well I am not so sure. I have 20 oz. triggers in my Glocks. They feed everything I throw at them. You can't wear them out. We have 2 G34s, G35s and a lone G17. All group under 1 1/2" at 25 yds with the stock barrels.

I predict that while my buddy CY has ventured out into the XD/M&P world he will return to the Glock fold.

Come on Glock bring out that single stack .45ACP. I need a CDP gun.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you love Glocks and want a CDP gun.... what's wrong with the Model 21?????

My best shooting buddy classified as an IDPA Master shooting one... with plenty of room to spare.

Whats wrong with the Model 21: depends on who you ask ?????? ;)

If you love Glocks and want a CDP gun.... what's wrong with the Model 21?????

My best shooting buddy classified as an IDPA Master shooting one... with plenty of room to spare.

Whats wrong with the Model 21: depends on who you ask ?????? ;)

True! ;)

I, for example would say just that the trigger guard is a little thicker than it needs to be. Other than that? NOTHING! :)

My hands are a little larger than average, but the grip is just a little too fat for my tastes.

There is always a grip reduction but I am all for glock coming on board with the interchangeable grips, I think they would really blow the others out of the water if they would do that.

Boo, Hiss! Just give me all your 1911s and go play with your Glocks. I'll put them steel beauties to respectable use. <_<

+1

If you want to give your 1911/2011's a good home, I will take them in.

I promise to feed them regularly, keep them warm and dry, and treat them with the respect and dignity they deserve.

Tls

I like Glocks, I really do,,,,I've owned as many Glocks as 1911's,,,,,,,don't want to start a "ford v Chevy" debate, so I'll make it short and try to stick to facts and keep my preferences out.....

I'm eager to see if the Glock has the same kind of "mass quality" after 60+ years of continuous military/service use as the 1911.

Then again,,,,I'm eager to see if I'm still around in 60+ years..... :lol:

I'm already questioning the quality control dept at the manufacturing facility that produced me......damn arthritis. <_<

I'm eager to see if the Glock has the same kind of "mass quality" after 60+ years of continuous military/service use as the 1911.

They aren't really all that new. I think the Austian Army got them in 1982. So, they are coming up on 25yrs. ?

They aren't really all that new. I think the Austian Army got them in 1982. So, they are coming up on 25yrs. ?

Cool,,,,,35 to go to get to the low end of the age of the last batch of 1911's purchased by the US gvt in 1945,,,,,

Hey, I like them,,,,,they just don't have the same history,,,,,,,only due to a "invented on" date. Nothing more, nothing less,,,,,,neither positive, nor negative.

I'm sure both designs will be around long after I'm dead and gone and I ain't "that" old.

I guess I don't get what you are saying. The Glock will never be as old as the 1911...of course it won't have the same history.

Uncle Sam has been using that Beretta for quite a while now. But, when we go to compare a handgun (1911, XD, M&P) to something...it seems that the Glock is the standard (as is the 1911).

Are you wondering about the factory machinery and wear-n-tear...and the ability to put out parts to spec. ?

• 4 weeks later...
I guess I don't get what you are saying. The Glock will never be as old as the 1911...of course it won't have the same history.

Uncle Sam has been using that Beretta for quite a while now. But, when we go to compare a handgun (1911, XD, M&P) to something...it seems that the Glock is the standard (as is the 1911).

Are you wondering about the factory machinery and wear-n-tear...and the ability to put out parts to spec. ?

I think what he's saying is he's wondering how well Glocks will be holding up when they are 60 years old. Right now 60yr old 1911s run just fine in most cases. The question is whether Glocks will still be working fine when they get to the same age.

Personally, I suspect that in another 35 years the first Glocks produced will still be running.

Hmmmm.

I guess plastic and metal might age different. Same could be said for plenty of guns (STI, M16, etc.)

As for service life, as measured in rounds fired, I'm inclined to believe that the 1911 45 and the G17 9mm...both set up as designed...can go the distance.

Supposedly Glock is coming out with a slimmer G21 soon.

I handled the G21 SF at SHOT. It is enough slimmer than the standard G21 to tell, but not enough smaller to be comfortable at MY hand size. Caveat: The G21 will take G21SF magazines but not vice versa; the "Slim Frame" has its own mags and magazine well, just a little narrower.

Say, Joe, you got a 2011 .45 you going to sell off? Or a working lower I could have my spare slide put on?

I thought the Taurus 24/7 OSS handled well, but don't know about its durability. A dark horse for sure. And unless they sign Team Mediocre to Team Taurus, I won't find out.