Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which 1911 Mag?

Loves2Shoot

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Use 8s if you can get reliable ones.

Wilson is good but you will have to change springs occasionally.

I have some McCormick Power Mags that run well in two out of three guns... all three after a little adjustment.

The Tripp Cobramags I have borrowed worked very well.

There is a Metalform 8-round X-tended that I really like. It protrudes a bit so you have to use a thin rubber pad to get it in The Box instead of the usual screw on bumper.

The Metalform 8-shot flush magazines and Shooting Stars had weak springs. They do ok with stronger Wolff springs but by then you could have bought a Power Mag or most of a Wilson.

Oops, I should have mentioned, money is NOT an object.

I just want the best.

My Wilson 10's have always worked well and I have some Tripp .40 mags that have performed perfectly also.

8rnd chip power mags.....have worked better than the wilsons for me......kimber eclipse.......and if money is really no object........well then I am up for adoption :D

Oops, I should have mentioned, money is NOT an object.

I just want the best.

My Wilson 10's have always worked well and I have some Tripp .40 mags that have performed perfectly also.

Yep, messing with gear sucks. Give me the good stuff on the first purchase.

I like Wilson 8 rounders. I have 10 that are running strong. Out of personal interest, I haven't changed the mag spring on 1 of those mags. I only use this mag for practice because it makes me nervous but it hasn't failed yet, oh and it's 9 years old now... :D

Metalform mags seem to come with sharp edges that need to be worked over or you'll cut your thumb loading them. I only own these because there's not many options for 9mm 1911's. The .45's are the same though, sharp edges.

I have 2 Tripp mags, and they're very nice too. If I were re-buying mags, I wouldn't shy away from Tripp mags.

Scott,

on the rare occasions when I shoot a single-stack, it's fed from Wilson 8 rounders --- 8 & 10s if I'm shooting L10 with it. The 8s reload a little slicker --- so they're always the classifier mags. I recently shot a couple of magazines that I loaded in 2000 --- they functioned fine....

There is a Metalform 8-round X-tended that I really like. It protrudes a bit so you have to use a thin rubber pad to get it in The Box instead of the usual screw on bumper.
+1. The Metalforms come with the absolute best follower ever put in a 1911 magazine, IMO.

8rnd chip power mags.....have worked better than the wilsons for me......kimber eclipse.......and if money is really no object........well then I am up for adoption :D

I started out with the power mags. They won't drop free from a Baer. Now I use the 47D Wilson's.

i use only the Baer mags..got several[20]..and never had any trouble with them as long as i maintain them...had chip's mags some worked others didnt..and of course had umpteen millon colt mags that did the same thing...sold those....use wilson 10 rnders and have never had any trouble at all...chips 10 rnders were ok..just didnt like the way they felt...i'd check around with local shooters to ask them to try some of theirs.....just loaned a shooter 6 of mine for his kimber that he shot a major match in and he didn't have any trouble, he just bought several tripp mags.. ;)

Wilson 47D 8rd magazines I used in IDPA ran well for three and a half years averaging 1.5 matches per month. A few of the older ones needed new springs about the time I switched to shooting more USPSA matches and less IDPA. I've shot enough L-10 now that two of the older Wilson 10 round mag springs are need of replacement. This is nothing scientific, but from my experience, what I know from others I shoot with, and what I've read the mean replacement time on Wilson mag springs that are regularly used is about 2.5 years.

As for the McCormick magazines, I've not had good luck with heavy use of those mags. Lots of people buy them because of the price point.

I am encouraged by what I've heard and read about the Tripp mags. If I was equipping a single stack gun now, I would buy a few of the Cobra mags.

I've used Shooting Star and Power Mag 8-rounders for years, with no problem other than spring replacements every three or four years. I just bought two Novak/ACT-MAG 8-rounders, and while I've put only 80 rounds through them, if they keep working, they are my new favorites. They are easily the best looking mags I've ever seen, they operate very smoothly, and the springs don't stack when you load the last round; the spring pressure is more constant, from first round to last, than other 8-rounders I've tried. I prefer mags with metal followers, as a lot of the ranges on which I shoot are covered with sand, and junk can get embedded in plastic followers, whereas metal ones act as scrapers, and allow the junk to fall out.

Chip McCormick's power mags. Bought after researching this question here. I don't have heavily usage on mine, but consensus was at the time they were on par with Wilsons. No problems so far.

Also, realize that you would likely be allowed to use your reliable 10 round mags downloaded to 8 if you ask? Doubt anyone would care unless you are shooting large and/or sanctioned matches. This would allow you to keep to one set of mags.

I used the Shooting Star mags. for a few years... but when I tried the Wilson 8 roundser... there was no looking back.

I shoot a Springfield and a Kimber and both seem to drop the Wilson mags faster and they are much easier to clean IMO. I shoot in 4 matches a month + practice sessions once a week or more and my mags. get fresh springs every Spring.... and cleaned every other match or before a major event.

You will not be able to use the 10 round mags (down loaded).... because in a single stack they will not fit in the IDPA box.

Regarding 7 vs. 8 rounds...... once in a GREAT while you are better off with 7 rounders... but the extra round is generally helpful.

Edited by MichiganShootist

Hello; Get the 88888888888's. Then you can use them for USPSA single stack as well. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric

I have a nice .40 for that, but it has an "evil" bull barrel, so no good for IPDA I've been told. I have a couple Wilson 8's already and they have always worked fine. I have until April to figure it out, but I thought I'd ask the IDPAers, since I will be joining the fray since we have a guy to run it here now.

I'm working 12-14 hours a day, so I get the good stuff and would just rather order 10 of one kind, maybe 20 since the SS mags are so cheap. I'd rather load mags in the warmth of the house and not have to worry about cleaning them at a match.

I'll be using my STI Spartan for the IDPA game, if it keeps shooting the way it has.

I'd rather load mags in the warmth of the house and not have to worry about cleaning them at a match.

Ay-freaking men. I take a minimum of a dozen single stack magazines (mixed brands acquired over time) to a match, loaded at home before departure. That lets me look at the targets and talk to people instead of feverishly clipping up ammo.

Now shooting a P226, I am buying a magazine or two any time I order from someplace that carries them.

I see no reason for the 7's (is there something they do better?) IF that is the case, then 8's are all you need. If you decided you wanted to shoot 7 round mags thru a match (maybe the match looks like it would be better that way?) I believe you can declare you are shooting a 7 round match and just load 7 rounds in your 8's.

I've never seen anyone do it. I'd guess that 95% or more of CDP shooters are running 8's.