Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which 1911 Mag?

Loves2Shoot

Hello; Get the 88888888888's. Then you can use them for USPSA single stack as well. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric

I have a nice .40 for that, but it has an "evil" bull barrel, so no good for IPDA I've been told.

Bull barrels are also forbidden in USPSA SS division. I'm not sure if that effects your choices.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello: I use the Wilson mags for my 45 and I am going to use the Tripp for the 40. Both of my single stack pistols have bushings. I just have to decide which caliber is better for me. I do like STI 2011 in 40 I built with a bushing for IDPA esp and limited in USPSA. Next will be a bull barrel 6" for USPSA limited. Does everyone have the 1911/2011 bug like I do? Thanks Eric

Scott since money is not a problem buy 10 each of the Wilson's & Tripp 8 rounders and adopt me and I go out and shoot them until they start to fail. With the Wilson, for sure, stay with the standard base pad or smaller or it won't go in the box.

Scott since money is not a problem buy 10 each of the Wilson's & Tripp 8 rounders and adopt me and I go out and shoot them until they start to fail. With the Wilson, for sure, stay with the standard base pad or smaller or it won't go in the box.

If you want to work my hours, I'll gladly adopt you ;)

I have lots of gruel and a tent I can set you up in :D

That's probably what I'll do, 10 of each.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

Warning on The ACT/PSI/Novak mags. There feed lips will crack. Not maybe.....they will. I have 8 ACT mags and 4 Novak mags. All have cracked feed lips. They run great for a couple hundred rounds. Then the feed lips spread and crack. ACT/PSI's response was that I was seating them too hard in the gun and that not 100% of their products leave perfect. I would believe that until I read a long thread on 10-8 forums about them. Lots of others are sharing my same problems. It sucks because they are a damn nice looking mag. Brownells replaced the first batch and the second batch are already cracking. The CMC Power mags have always been reliable and robust for me. Add the Tripp follower and they get even better. 4cvmo9e.jpg

Edited by 00bullitt

How old are your mags? I've heard that the newer ones won't, or haven't been, cracking like the early ones. I wouldn't think major names would be tying themselves to those mags, if they still didn't work.

My first batch of mags were bought from Brownells in March of '06. They were replaced(returned to Brownells)in September of '06 and only two have not cracked in that batch.

I wish they would fix the problem as they run good when new and at Brownells discounted price of 12.85 its hard not to want to buy them.

Hello: Maybe the old saying "you get what you pay for" applies here. I have had my Wilson mags for a year and they have been stepped on and dropped in the dirt so many times in that year and they still work great. I think the mags you have are a little hard at the feed lips either from work hardening or the welding. I would heat the lips up at the crack area with a torch and aneal them and see if that solves your problem. I would do one mag and see if that works first. If not buy the Wilsons. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric

Hello: Maybe the old saying "you get what you pay for" applies here. I have had my Wilson mags for a year and they have been stepped on and dropped in the dirt so many times in that year and they still work great. I think the mags you have are a little hard at the feed lips either from work hardening or the welding. I would heat the lips up at the crack area with a torch and aneal them and see if that solves your problem. I would do one mag and see if that works first. If not buy the Wilsons. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric

I'm done with the ACT mags. when the next two start cracking.....they are going back to Brownells for credit towards some more CMC Power Mags. I did buy them because of their low price. They did work very well until the lips started cracking and they are a good looking mag,but there is definitely a problem with their metallurgy in the lip area. In this case.....I did get what I paid for. Luckily Brownells is a standup parts supplier and will credit me for the bad mags. You won't ever know or find out unless you try.

just got to check out the tripp mags today at a match...i liked the finish,fit and function..also i notice the golf ball type dimples on the base plate..kinda cool and an easy way to mark your mags,just add paint to the dimple for a mag number..also i noticed the tripps had a plastic and SS follower built together,they were velvetly smooth in operation,no binding,grinding and any other funny noises.. :)

I've tried the ACT mags. They ran fine in one Kimber but not in my other one. The other Kimber only likes Wilson mags. So over the years I've dumped most of my CMC's and replaced them with 47D's. ACT's are supplied with new guns from Nighthawk, Novak, RRA and a few others. There's been a number of threads on other boards about them not holding up.

Tripps are good but not worth the $$ IMO. They haven't done that much to improve the design to warrant the $$ over Wilson to me. I've also heard that they often have to be tuned to the gun. More $$ unless you can do it yourself.

I view magazines as a perishable item that eventually has to be replaced. I maintain mine, changing the springs and followers every year. When I see worn feed lips (at the rear usually) I toss them in the training bag and don't use them for carry or matches. It's also a good idea to gun specific magazines if you can.

Wilson's aren't the cheapest but I've found them to be the most consistent in manufacturing and maintaining spec. Some guys don't like the plastic followers but after 10's of thousands of rounds through them I have never had a Wilson follower fail to lock back the slide etc...

Edited by Mayonaise

Advantage to a 7 rounder is that it will allow your to go to slidelock faster. Take for instance the start of a stage that has 4 targets 2 shot each, Vickers count. With an 8 rounder (8+1) you either have to take a "make-up shot" to go to slidelock OR reload with retention (which IMHO is slower) OR go to the next array with one shot, engage the target, reload then re-engage the same target. The math works out better with the 7 rounder in this case.

Advantage to a 7 rounder is that it will allow your to go to slidelock faster. Take for instance the start of a stage that has 4 targets 2 shot each, Vickers count. With an 8 rounder (8+1) you either have to take a "make-up shot" to go to slidelock OR reload with retention (which IMHO is slower) OR go to the next array with one shot, engage the target, reload then re-engage the same target. The math works out better with the 7 rounder in this case.

Is this IDPA lingo?

Is this IDPA lingo?

yes. It is in the IDPA section so I thought 7 vs 8 pertained to using it in an IDPA match? for Self-defense I'd go with the 8 rounders. What "lingo don't you understand? If your going to play the IDPA game you need to know what the rules are.

Vicker count = you can take makup shots

Reload with retention = you have to keep a mag with ammo in it

Is this IDPA lingo?

Yes, this is IDPA lingo.

Vickers is a time + penalties scoring system. Each point down is worth half a second added to your time. Each required hit on a cardboard target is worth a maximum of 5 points. The scoring zones cost 0, 1, or 3 points down. A miss is 5 points down (2.5 seconds added to your time).

With IDPA, you cannot leave a magazine on the ground unless your gun has gone to slide lock. You have to retain the magazine if you reload and the slide is forward. There are two ways of reloading while retaining the old magazine. The reload with retention is one of them, the tactical reload is the other. The fastest IDPA legal reload is the slide lock reload, followed by the reload with retention, and the slowest is the tactical reload.

Taking a "make-up shot" just to get to a slide lock reload is an action specifically listed in the rulebook as a penalty, the "Failure to do right", and is worth 20 seconds added to your time. However, this rule is very hard to enforce and has engendered large debates on internet forums. (In my opinion, the real shooters get over the issue and get back to shooting.)

Personally, I use Wilson 47D 8 rounders.

Respectfully,

Mark Kruger

I'm going to fix this, tho I suspect all know what is meant....

Reload with retention = you have to keep a mag with ammo in it if your gun has a round in it
With IDPA, you cannot leave a magazine on the ground unless your gun has gone to slide lock. is empty

Point is that some guns don't lock back, and dumping a mag with the mag empty but the chamber not = trouble. Usually this is what gets folks mad that a "tactically" oriented sport requires of it's shooters. Counting to get to this point is likely what the rule is there to prevent.

Ok, I'll admit, I'm anal retentive....

Wait, should there be a dash in there?

Thanks for cleaning up my sloppy description...thats what I meant to say! The only point I'm trying to make is that if your trying to "game it" a 7 might be better than an 8 because many (not all) targets are in multiples of 2 and starting out with an even number in the gun will make the math work out. While good course designers will make it so there is no advantage either way, many of the local club matches I've been to prove the point.

If your CoF writer is so hung up on double taps that a 7+1 CDP (or 9+1 ESP/SSP) is a real advantage, he needs some help on course design. Vounteer your aid to design and set up stages, throw in some triple taps and knockdowns and you will soon find that more is better, up to the Division limits.

Ok this sound dumb, why in the world would you have to shoot to slide lock? It would make more sense to change the mag when it no longer has rounds in it, not at slide lock.

So, what you guys are saying, if the mag has no rounds (it has fed the last round) and you change mags and the mag you are dumping is empty of rounds then you still have to retain it? What is tactical about that? That makes no sense to me if I am understanding it correctly.

Ok this sound dumb, why in the world would you have to shoot to slide lock? It would make more sense to change the mag when it no longer has rounds in it, not at slide lock.

So, what you guys are saying, if the mag has no rounds (it has fed the last round) and you change mags and the mag you are dumping is empty of rounds then you still have to retain it? What is tactical about that? That makes no sense to me if I am understanding it correctly.

L2S, you have to think IDPA rules, which contrast greatly to USPSA freestyle.

If you leave a round in the chamber you must perform a tactical reload whereby you retain your otherwise empty mag (say in your vest pocket). It is exponentially faster to shoot to slide-lock and reload than bother with retaining the magazine.

The concept is that in a defensive situation, you're not going to be counting rounds, and the first hint that you're out of ammo is the locked-back slide. The rule is written with this in mind. You may not agree with it, but them's the rules.

L2S, you have to think IDPA rules, which contrast greatly to USPSA freestyle.

If you leave a round in the chamber you must perform a tactical reload whereby you retain your otherwise empty mag (say in your vest pocket). It is exponentially faster to shoot to slide-lock and reload than bother with retaining the magazine.

Ok, I understand the rule I think, but why would that type of reload be considered "tactical"? It seems quite silly to pocket an empty mag, and "silly" is the PC word I can use on the forum.

The "idea" is that your saving rounds that might prove useful later on in the gunfight should you run dry (remember -were not counting rounds so you don't kow if its empty or not). These reloads are suppose to be done behind cover, when there is a lull in the action. Some clubs are additionally stressing that reloads are to be done off-the-clock. (recording arrays as seperate strings).

In the Tactical reload you draw a mag and relpace the mag currently in the gun (as opposed to dropping the mag stowing it and replacing it which would be the reload w/retention). I think the "tactical" part is that your keeping a mag in your gun for the longest amount of time. My guess anyways!

Edited by ArnisAndyz

Ok, I understand the rule I think, but why would that type of reload be considered "tactical"? It seems quite silly to pocket an empty mag, and "silly" is the PC word I can use on the forum.
There are basically two types of reloads in IDPA - slidelock and everything else. ;) The reason for retaining an empty mag when there's a round in the chamber is to try to make officiating easier; the SO only has to see that either you're reloading from slidelock, or you're doing a "tactical" or "retention" reload. Nobody pretends that retaining an empty mag is "tactical"; it's just a way of keeping things even among competitors.

The original concept of the "tactical reload" is that you'd never leave ammo behind that you might need in a fight. Ten years ago, when IDPA began, that was leading edge defensive thought; now it's pretty much passé, but it remained in the rulebook. There are actually a bunch of competitors who would be upset if it were eliminated.