Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Icore Limited Gun

Nemo

Although the closest ICORE matches I have are in Central Florida and Augusta, GA., I would like to give it a try and maybe when I grow up even attend IRC.

What's the best choice for ICORE limited? Reading the rules I didn't see anything regarding cylinder capacity. Is the $1000 bill for a 627 necessary to be competitive in Ltd?

If I show up at an ICORE match with my only revo, my trusty 625, am I going to be shooting USPSA limited with a Para P-14? :(

Although the closest ICORE matches I have are in Central Florida and Augusta, GA., I would like to give it a try and maybe when I grow up even attend IRC.

What's the best choice for ICORE limited? Reading the rules I didn't see anything regarding cylinder capacity. Is the $1000 bill for a 627 necessary to be competitive in Ltd?

If I show up at an ICORE match with my only revo, my trusty 625, am I going to be shooting USPSA limited with a Para P-14? :(

Well, a 7th or 8th shot can sure come in handy every once in a while, but if you're using them very often to make up misses, the 6 shooters (that don't miss) will beat you. I win every once in a while with my 625 against some pretty salty competition.

Many courses are "shots limited" (virginia count) there's that. For the postal matches and classifiers I think it's safe to say that most are shots limited and the rules require that all courses must be six rounds neutral.

Having said all that, if I was buying an ICORE only gun, it would hold as many rounds as I could find. An 8 shooter for sure. Maybe I could get Randy Lee or somebody to make me a 10 round .32 mag cylinder out of billet stock and put it in an X frame S&W.

Yeah, that's the ticket. :D

There is a lot less thinking that you have to do with a 6 shooter. You don't have the option of stacking your extra shots to try and avoid that extra reload that the 6 shooter guys have to do. It's also fun to watch when they miss that one shot and the whole plan come undone in the middle of the stage.

I shoot a 6 shooter and like it that way :P

I believe that Randy has already (seriously) investigated the X frame and found that things didn't line up right or we'd all be shooting Apex 10 shot revolvers.

Jason

You asked about the best choice for ICORE Limited.

Since you have a 625, the the best choice is a 625. Just run Minor loads in that puppy.

It's a different game from IPSC/USPSA, much more accuracy oriented. Accuracy then speed instead of the other way around. Making good hits is critical and with good hits with speed you do very well. After a while you may include a 627 in the arsenal.

To just casually shoot ICORE every once in a while the 625 is just fine. Like Ken said the courses of fire are demonstrably revolver neutral (go figure). I think that if you have steel in an array the array can only have five shots. Not sure, though. Plus you can shoot SWC rounds for the scoring advantage a .45 has (wider bullet may give you an extra X on a stage that rewards you for them, and the SWC's make huge holes that are easy to see from far away).

That being said, an eight shooter is a great piece of hardware to have. On a game like ICORE the two extra insurance rounds are great, even if you don't use them that much (at least you shouldn't be, if you plan on winning).

I also shoot a lot of knock down steel matches that sometimes involve up to 30 plates in one bank. In a match that has six stages with approx. 30 plates per stage you save about six reloads during the whole match (thats without misses and make-up shots). Six reloads can be worth anywhere from 9-14 seconds for the match. Big savings on a match that just uses your raw time for score.

Also if you have a miss during the stage you might not have to force a reload from the eight shooter that you would from a six shooter.

BTW my eight shooter is a .38/.357 V-comp, a real nice gun that is very flexible. I love the idea of the .38 Super eight shooter I just hate the idea of coming with the money for it (not to mention all new moons, grips, trigger work, etc.)

I was getting very seriously informative answers... then Cliff showed up :lol:

Just ignore Cliff :P

All the "Serious" information is definitely the way to go. ICORE will challenge you with yet another learning curve and the 625 will suffice for a while. If you dig it, you can spend the bucks on an 8 shot somewhere down the road.:ph34r:

Nemo, What Revo do yu have and what are you most comfartable with? If money and time ( it take a long time to find one) were no object the 38 super eight shot. You can be competetive with your 625 in most cases. But as the distances gets farther I think (and that's a bad thing) the 38's have a flater trajectory. I was some what competitive with an open gun that was built on an old model 10 and using speedloaders. Accuracy is the key. You don't have to shoot slower but you have to hit A's faster. All that being said practice and the K or L Frame can be very competitive. :ph34r:

Nemo, What Revo do yu have and what are you most comfartable with? If money and time ( it take a long time to find one) were no object the 38 super eight shot. You can be competetive with your 625 in most cases. But as the distances gets farther I think (and that's a bad thing) the 38's have a flater trajectory. I was some what competitive with an open gun that was built on an old model 10 and using speedloaders. Accuracy is the key. You don't have to shoot slower but you have to hit A's faster. All that being said practice and the K or L Frame can be very competitive. :ph34r:

I've gotten my ass kicked by 6 shooters a lot. At the larger matches, there are a lot of good shooters shooting in a competitive 6 shot category. At IRC, a win in 6 shot category gets mui respect.

Come out. Have fun. If you come to the IRC, they might draw your name for an 8 shot or you might win one competitively.

It's the singer not the song. It's the shooter, not the gun

I shoot a 610, one of a few of us, and initially I didn't feel at a disadvantage shooting a 6 shooter. However, I think I'm getting to a point where not having the 8 shooter is keeping me where I am. Sure the standards are 6 round neutral, but I tell ya, there is nothing nicer than having an extra or two if you just so happen to have a primer not go off and you are forced to either reload or have 5 empties go 'round before that 6th one fires. I managed to finish 24th overall in Limited and 10 points behind the other Limited shooter shooting a 6 shooter.. If you look at the results, most if not all of the top 30 are shooting 8 shots.

Vince

For open or limited the 38 supers are the cats meow. I have a few of them and I can honestly say with the gold plated HearthCo moon clips :D I can reload my supers just as fast as my 625. I have a 357 8 shot all tricked out for open icore and the reloads on that are tough to get. I use that one now for steel matches only.

Tom

I'm not an ICORE shooter (PPC, IPSC, IDPA, sniper, tactical), in Canada we've just graduated from flintlocks - I said that before someone else got their dig in, but I tell shooters who want to try a different discipline to run what they have to see if they like it. If they don't, they haven't spend a lot of loot on equipment.

Try it with what you have and afterwards gradutate to different gear.

Illinois and PA are the closed to me. PA about 8-9 hours and Moline is 14-16 hours.

RePete.

Nemo:

I set up all my stages for 6 round groups. Some stages are limited so you will have no disatvantage over the 8 shooters. I do have a few steel stages but no more than 5 plates in any one array so you can miss one and still be in the game. I also have at least one stage where the X ring is -1 second so make sure you are sighted in. Some targets are 5 feet some are 35 yards. Not a lot of running and a good time. Once all the guns are put away we can crack open a beer and tell lies about how good we did.

Hope to see you there. You too Cliff