Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Edge Magazines - How Many

1911jerry

If you drop a mag in sand, or mud, it must be disassembled and cleaned. Some clean every mag that gets dropped.

5 mags is more than enough for any stage, and most matches. Once in a while you will need to hustle to get ready to shoot. It really stinks when you are first up, still have mags to clean, and are trying to get a handle on a complicated stage.

I would have no problem going to a club match with 4 or 5 trustworthy mags. For a bigger event I'd like a couple more.

Edited by wide45

I carry 6 STI 140mm Mags in my Shooting bag.

I have more at home, but these 6 magazine, never tuned by anyone have been working reliably since 1997. The only thing I do to them is clean them and replace the Springs once a year.

I only clean the Mags between stages if they get really dirty, otherwise just keep shooting them.

4 is plenty to start. I shot for 2 years with only 4 mags and never had a problem. I bought 2 more to shoot in steel matches that limit you to 10 rounds. 6 is nice luxury. If you need to jump to the line it's likely that 3 or 4 mags will still be loaded.

Considering the new makeup of congress, I would consider anything less than 20 to be a woefully inadequate personal supply :ph34r:

YUP!!

I'll be placing an order next week for Jan Delivery for 50!!

Not getting caught with my pants down like I did in 94!!

I received my last batch of STI Hicap 38 Stupid Mags on Sept 14th 1994.

Considering the new makeup of congress, I would consider anything less than 20 to be a woefully inadequate personal supply :ph34r:

YUP!!

I'll be placing an order next week for Jan Delivery for 50!!

Not getting caught with my pants down like I did in 94!!

I received my last batch of STI Hicap 38 Stupid Mags on Sept 14th 1994.

I don't own a 2011 yet but I'll be owning a ton of mags soon ;)

I've got 10 extended 140s for my Para Limited gun with 2 more on the way. Nice to not have to load mags during a match, and I usually only reload them once during practice.

I've got 21 mags for my Limited G-35, with 11 extended for 19-20 rounds and the rest extended with Glock +2s to make them easy to use with the ICE magwell.

Probably excessive, but I started this sport when the mag ban was in effect, and I'm pretty sure we'll see another one before long. I wanted enough mags to be able to run a pair of Paras or Glocks, just in case my needs change.

My belt is set up with a 21 round mag first for LAMR, a 20 round reload mag, a spare 20 round reload mag, and a barney mag. 4 mags is enough, you just have to reload a pair of them after every stage.

Although I have 17 .40 mags total, I only use 3 at a time in matches unless the stage calls for mandatory reloads and uses 3 mags. Then I pull out a 4th. Always carry one more mag than you'll need for the stage! I clean mine every stage.

Mick

A27257

11 mags?! :o That is like $660 for standard mags and, on the average of $1210 for ones with Dawson or Grams parts! That is a lot of money to spend for a little piece of mind in my opinion. But it is just that- my opinion.... ;)

Were you around the IPSC Scene in 94??

Congress won't ban Dawson or Grams parts!!

They will ban Magazines and Guns!!

I won't pay $200 for a Hicap!!

I'll buy now and sit back and see what happens.

I won't get caught unprepared again, NEVER!!!

FYI, Grams & dawson parts are awesome, but you know what?? I have ONE Grams Pad, that's it!! ONE!!!

I still only load 18 round on my 140 Mags, I'm not risking a malfunction when a reload while moving won't cost you that much, IMHO.

I have 6 that i use on a regular basis. I carry 3 on my belt with one in the gun. If you ever have a malfunction, or a mag drops out...you'll need em.

I shot a stage once where my mags hit a door frame..2 dropped out, leaving me with only one left. I boffed the reload and had to run back and grab one off the ground. Things do go wrong in our little sport from time to time. :D

I thought I already posted this, but it don;lt look like it....

I picked up the habit from ma class with Manny; I load my TEN mags the night before, and that way spend less time loading and more precious range time shooting.

Good way to get your head in it too, my bag holds ten so I have ten.

I have 9 mags for my edge .40, I carry 5 on the belt and one in the gun.

We're all limited to 10 rounds up here and I have used all six mags on at least one occasion.

Nice to have a few extras for practice too.

No one ever shouts "I had too much ammo" we hear the opposite often. While 4 mags will get you through most any match, I like to have at least 6, because stuff happens. For example mud or even large people stepping on your mag. I always keep a Oh S--t mag in my back pocket. I have turned corners and my mags didn't make it.