Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front Sight Magazine

Gonzogun

Three gun and multigun are new. Being new makes them news. The current edition (November/December 2006) has articles about Multigun, Mor and pistol matches; tips on one hand shooting with a pistol from Taran and a piece on Revolver. The Multigun Nationals gracing the cover is timely. They happened in July and it takes three months or so to produce a magazine. All in all a pretty balanced and informative edition. :)

Edited by AikiDale

At least you guys get your FS magazine. :angry: This is the second issue in a row I haven't gotten mine. Can anyone tell me what the cover of the Oct/Nov and Nov/Dec issue is so I know what to lookout for.

Thanks

and sorry for slight thread drift

what's front sight?

Butch is joking a bit there Yamil. Besides, he shoots Open and doesn't have any front sights to look at ;-)

Nothing wrong with USPSA working the multigun bandwagon for a while. It's new, it's hot and it's where Ye' Old 3gun is headed for the future.

BTW, the Nov/Dec issue has Taran Butler with his shotgun on stage 2 at the Multigun Nationals on the cover, not Ted Puente.

List most magazines with a full-time editorial staff of one (Robin); the articles that are submitted by others are what get printed.

Want more articles about <insert topic here>; write them or encourage others to write them.

BTW...Front Sight does pay authors for their articles. It isn't a lot...but it's better than doing it for free.

OK,

Let me get on my soapbox here. Front Sight is the best gun mag on the market, bar none. It is the best gun mag on planet earth, with exactly TWO, count-em!, TWO writer/editors on staff. The advertising in FS is 1/2 to 1/10 of what it costs to purchase space in any "competing" gun rag - most of which are not really fit for much other than bird cage liners.

We pay $40 a year for FS, in addition to *all the other services* that we expect USPSA to provide. So, if we're going to mandate the Robin and Dave improve the content, that's fine. What's not OK is to force an "unfunded mandate" upon them to do so. The ching to make it happen has got to come from somewhere.

There are people out there that WANT desperately to write great article for FS with oodles of detail and fancy photos yadda yadda yadda...but what FS pays for articles really doesn't enable that to happen terribly often. I and everyone else want to see FS grow and thrive. But somebody's going to have cut loose a little dough and give Robin some help if that's going to be a reality.

My 3...

E

I am curious about this not receiving Front Sight also. As of Nov 12, at least three USPSA shooters in the Augusta , GA area have not received theirs yet either. I got my last issue but have received the latest one. What gives?

Mark :huh:

Mark--

I think it's the bulk mail hub we share in Columbia SC -- we just got ours in Columbia Friday -- after other folks around the counrty already had them for 2 weeks

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

Edited by LChico

There are people out there that WANT desperately to write great article for FS with oodles of detail and fancy photos yadda yadda yadda...but what FS pays for articles really doesn't enable that to happen terribly often. I and everyone else want to see FS grow and thrive. But somebody's going to have cut loose a little dough and give Robin some help if that's going to be a reality.

I know what you mean man!!

I would love to do more work for FS, but at this time I can't afford to take time from my paying customers to dedicate time for what FS pays!!

I would love to help more, I love FS and it's contents, Dave, Robin and please don't forget Roger, all work very hard to put this magazine out, never late and always full of good information. I just wish that they had a better budget to work with!! I don't expect a huge amount of money for my work, I haven't seen a Gun magazine that pays tons of money for Photography, but FS budget is very low :(

Keep up the good work guys!! You are doing a magnificent job!!

Y

For those who aren't getting their FS, call USPSA they'll probably ship you another. And if it's a problem with a hub, they would be the clearing house for that data and would then need to contact the Postal Service.

I think my route driver reads mine too, but I may just be paranoid.

Robin will even clean up an article for you. More Competitors & Match Staff need to submit what they can. I'm amazed at the quality of articles in FS. It's the only mag I get that I read cover to cover. Hey if you're at a match anyway, take some photos and write down a few stories.

My .02 is that Robin does a pretty good job. FS & AH are the only mags I watch for, AR is usually a throw away.

MV, and others, have an obvious passion for 3 gun/M gun, and some put forth the effort to spread their passion around for all of us to read about.

Front Sight magazine, the official magazine for 3-Gun, or Multi-gun?

Is it just me or is Front Sight becoming more Multi-Gun than Handgun?

seems like every issue its more and more 3-gun stuff. :angry:

Did anyone else notice that the coverage of 3/multi gun nats never mentioned that they were 100 slots short of filling?

If 3/multi gun is so popular how come they can't can't fill a nationals and how come Area 1 3 gun drew 40 something shooters?

Full disclosure: I don't shoot multi/3 gun (I shoot L-10, which USPSA seems hell-bent on being rid of) I am not happy about my dues/ mission count being used to subsidize a program which requires a separate rule book and RO certification. Anybody else feel this way?

Well, can't remember when a pistol Nationals sold out either since Vegas but then that's me. Probably the same for 3-Gun.

That said, I think we're going to see a huge shift in participation levels if the USSA in Tulsa starts becoming what it seems like it CAN be. THE premier competition and instructional shooting facility in the US. If nothing its location makes it ripe for nation-wide access.

Albany, while a great range, doesn't have the easiest access and traveling with 3x the guns is about 4x the hassle. You said it yourself, you're not a 3-Gun shooter and therefore can't understand the logistics involved in the sport. It's not a linear increase in complexity, time, effort, equipment and expense. Almost logarithmic.

As for USPSA's removal of L-10. Remember, the only reason for its inception was due to the Brady Bill and legal access to hi-cap mags. Now that it's gone, except for a few states, there's no longer the restrictions in place (although California is one of USPSA's largest population states). What hurt L-10 from the start was hi-cap guns using 10 round mags. Plain and simple (hence the SS division idea). Way too much whining about hi-cap pistol advantages even though I think most people that won anything substantive in L-10 were using single stack guns, but I cannot confirm that.

How about this. Do a little of both. Write an article for FS about your concerns of L-10 and any theoretical pre-disposition towards 3-Gun. Get your opinion out and write an article for the magazine. Makes sense right?

Rich

Edited by uscbigdawg

I am curious about this not recieving Front Sight also. As of Nov 12, at least three USPSA shooters in the Augusta , GA area have not recieved theirs yet either. I got my last issue but have recieved the latest one. What gives?

Mark :huh:

A P.O. Box solved a lot my mail problems. :)

And call the USPSA office to see if there are any problems with your address; they really do want to make sure you get your magazine.

FM

Well, can't remember when a pistol Nationals sold out either since Vegas but then that's me. Probably the same for 3-Gun.

That said, I think we're going to see a huge shift in participation levels if the USSA in Tulsa starts becoming what it seems like it CAN be. THE premier competition and instructional shooting facility in the US. If nothing its location makes it ripe for nation-wide access.

Albany, while a great range, doesn't have the easiest access and traveling with 3x the guns is about 4x the hassle. You said it yourself, you're not a 3-Gun shooter and therefore can't understand the logistics involved in the sport. It's not a linear increase in complexity, time, effort, equipment and expense. Almost logarithmic.

As for USPSA's removal of L-10. Remember, the only reason for its inception was due to the Brady Bill and legal access to hi-cap mags. Now that it's gone, except for a few states, there's no longer the restrictions in place (although California is one of USPSA's largest population states). What hurt L-10 from the start was hi-cap guns using 10 round mags. Plain and simple (hence the SS division idea). Way too much whining about hi-cap pistol advantages even though I think most people that won anything substantive in L-10 were using single stack guns, but I cannot confirm that.

How about this. Do a little of both. Write an article for FS about your concerns of L-10 and any theoretical pre-disposition towards 3-Gun. Get your opinion out and write an article for the magazine. Makes sense right?

Rich

Preach on Brother!!