Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help Picking New Powder For 9mm

spetrola

I have been using 700x powder for my last 30,000 rounds of 9mm and have thought about switching to something else. Now come the hard part, for me anyways. I shoot 500ish rounds a week, I try to go out every week, I think I shot about 15,000 rounds last year. I have been using the same load for both my HK USP 9mm Fullsize and my springfield 1911 in 9mm. I would like to be able to continue using the same load for both guns if I can but I am not stuck on it.

I am looking for something that is not overly hard on the gun, and won't destroy my barrel. I would like a nice mid-range load about factory or a little less in recoil.

Currently, I am using 4.4 of 700x at 1.115 OAL chrono'd at 1100ish fps. I am more concerned about accuracy then dirtyness of the powder.

I also have a ransom rest to test loads. I am basiclly trying to find a middle of the road accurate powder.

The powders I am looking at are 700x, n310, n320 3n37, titegroup. Does anyone have any suggestions for which powder I should go with and any pet loads using a 124gr FMJ

Sorry if I rambled,

Scott

Try some Clays and Power Pistol. Clays is very economical, clean, and shoots soft. Power Pistol is a little more vigorous in cost, recoil and still shoots great. Some of the most accurate 9mm loads I have ever loaded were made with Winchester Super Field, it shoots great in 9. Cost is about the same as Power Pistol, same for charge weights. It is fairly clean too.

I don't like anything about Titegroup other than the price. 310 is a lot like Clays at twice the price. 320 should be really good. Don't know anything about 3n37.

Scott - My favorite 9x19 load is 4.2 grains of Titegroup under a 125 grain Zero JHP loaded to 1.14" OAL. It works fine in both my CZ-75B and Beretta 92 Brigadier, and stays under 2" at 25 yards from the CZ off a bench. I'd love to see what it'd do from a Ransom Rest. :) It goes about 1050 fps, slightly under factory ammo specs for that weight bullet.

Hodgdon's max load for that weight is 4.4 grains, and that's for a 125 grain FMJ seated to 1.09" (IIRC).

It's true that TG burns hot, but not much (if any) more than other powders in that burn rate range (Bullseye, etc.). I understand that the hotness is due to the nitroglycerine content.

This is heresy, but Winchester 231.Hogdon HP-38........ :ph34r:

I use it for my steel loads and after 2 8lbers last year shot I am buying more. All the bullets make tiny groups from my guns, from 95gr jhps to 115 and 124fmj @ 25yds. I just got back from the chrono working up loads with VV320 vs. my W231 loads....231 it is!

I dont use Titegroup anymore due to the high nitro content in the powder. When you shoot a lot of rounds quickly the gun heats up quicker, which means accelerated wear on your gun. Just my humble opinion.... B)

Good luck,

DougC

It's true that TG burns hot, but not much (if any) more than other powders in that burn rate range (Bullseye, etc.). I understand that the hotness is due to the nitroglycerine content.

Where can I find a burn rate chart one with temps would be outstanding.

Scott

Scott - My favorite 9x19 load is 4.2 grains of Titegroup under a 125 grain Zero JHP loaded to 1.14" OAL. It works fine in both my CZ-75B and Beretta 92 Brigadier, and stays under 2" at 25 yards from the CZ off a bench. I'd love to see what it'd do from a Ransom Rest. :) It goes about 1050 fps, slightly under factory ammo specs for that weight bullet.

That's exactly the same as my load, and the results are similar.

Ed

That's exactly the same as my load, and the results are similar.

Ed

Ed - You're a pretty astute guy. :D

I have been using 700x powder for my last 30,000 rounds of 9mm and have thought about switching to something else. Now come the hard part, for me anyways. I shoot 500ish rounds a week, I try to go out every week, I think I shot about 15,000 rounds last year. I have been using the same load for both my HK USP 9mm Fullsize and my springfield 1911 in 9mm. I would like to be able to continue using the same load for both guns if I can but I am not stuck on it.

I am looking for something that is not overly hard on the gun, and won't destroy my barrel. I would like a nice mid-range load about factory or a little less in recoil.

Currently, I am using 4.4 of 700x at 1.115 OAL chrono'd at 1100ish fps. I am more concerned about accuracy then dirtyness of the powder.

I also have a ransom rest to test loads. I am basiclly trying to find a middle of the road accurate powder.

The powders I am looking at are 700x, n310, n320 3n37, titegroup. Does anyone have any suggestions for which powder I should go with and any pet loads using a 124gr FMJ

Sorry if I rambled,

Scott

Edited by TerryB

Thanks to all that replied, but I got a load of 700x, 4.3gr at 1.150" that shoot at 1125 avg fps, that shoots 15 rounds into a 1" hole at 50 feet off of a ransom rest and that is good enough for me at the present time.

Thanks again,

Scott Petrola

N310 is basically the best powder ever. 3.0gr or perhaps a little more depending on your gun, under a 147gr plated RN at 1.165" is my favorite load of all time. I tend to fidget with my loads quite a bit but I have sworn off tinkering with this one; it's perfect.

I have seen the 4.2 grains of Titegroup under a 125 grain Zero JHP load mentioned here several times. What primer are you guys using with this load and what COL please.

Thanks for the help.

I used 1.14" and Federal 200 primers. The Federal 100s (or other standard small pistol primers) would probably work just as well, I just had the 200s when I worked up the load, and saw no reason to change.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had luck with Universal and with winchester Super Target. Titegroup not so good, and I'll tell you about my 231 experience.

I did my load prep and testing in March and April (I'm in PA, and the temps were in the 40's and 50's). I shot the match in May on a hot day (in the 80's) I was getting some pretty good pressure signs in the fired brass. I had heard that 231 was a temperature sensitive powder, but now I have seen it.

It's worth keeping in mind.