Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

06 Production Nats Gossip Thread

Oh...big back-up on Stage 10. Our squad (production) was first on it this morning. Well...all morning. I got out of it fine, but ~ 75% of our squad had to reshoot the stage because the poppers wouldn't fall. The stage was arb'ed to be tossed out...somehow the arb (chronic failure..not the same for each shooter) was denied.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Range is great....huge...well spaced. Stages are a bit...IPSC like (I think they are boring). I've only had to lace my shoes up tight a couple of times.

Bianchi shooters would do well at this match.

I agree some of the stages are kinda boring, but not on the IPSC-like nature of them. Having shot several IPSC matches, they tend to have more fun short courses than some of these.

So far a lot of it seems to be either how well you can shoot a bunch of targets all in a row at 25+ yards from a box, or how well you can shoot arrays of 2-3 targets at varying distances and move to the next array of 2-4 targets at each varying distances, rinse and repeat.

I'm not really complaining, just mentioning what the flavor is. We shoot most of the match tomorrow, so I may not have seen all of it yet either.

Stages I did like include the 'follow-the-line' stage that looks to have been borrowed from the Panama Columbus Cup match earlier this year-- it's kinda turned into a two-positions-and-one-target-on-the-move stage, but at least the movement and target mix is cool.

It was a 20 round stage with an empty gun start. If you push it, you can save a load and shoot 8 rds paper and 2 rds steel from each side. It was a pretty even split on our squad, some guys tried, a couple connected, and some just threw in the extra load. But like was said earlier, pretty easy to tell when some one throws a miss on a 20 rd stage and still only does one reload??? Darrion's cool about it though. He's making full use of those high cap SP-01 mags.
TGO did something interesting on this stage. after shooting 4 paper and 2 steel, he reloaded, racked, then reloaded again, to give him 10 + 1 going in the final array (4 more paper, 2 more steel). in the end, he didnt need the extra round.

It was a 20 round stage with an empty gun start. If you push it, you can save a load and shoot 8 rds paper and 2 rds steel from each side. It was a pretty even split on our squad, some guys tried, a couple connected, and some just threw in the extra load. But like was said earlier, pretty easy to tell when some one throws a miss on a 20 rd stage and still only does one reload??? Darrion's cool about it though. He's making full use of those high cap SP-01 mags.

TGO did something interesting on this stage. after shooting 4 paper and 2 steel, he reloaded, racked, then reloaded again, to give him 10 + 1 going in the final array (4 more paper, 2 more steel). in the end, he didnt need the extra round.

Moneypenny did the same thing..cept he needed the round as he missed the second popper on the with the first array..and had three poppers to make up..

he made it look smooth though..

Matt Mink is shooting a good match too..

too bad that Erik Lund went subminor..was cold this morning..and couple of the open shooters on our squad had to shoot their second set of three to over the chronograph. and too bad about Darrion..

Edited by eerw

Looks like several PD people zero'd stages 10 and I think 14. Those must be the long shot stages. That's got to be a hell of a bad thing at the Nat's.

Is it true that there are some 35-45 yard shots? That seems long for a production gun.

Chris

Id say that the stage 10 poppers are about 30m; and the minis on 11 are about 25m.

Looks like several PD people zero'd stages 10 and I think 14. Those must be the long shot stages. That's got to be a hell of a bad thing at the Nat's.

Is it true that there are some 35-45 yard shots? That seems long for a production gun.

Chris

yep...I did pretty bad on 10...

it was cold and the backup on the stages had us sitting for a couple of hours getting colder..

but I was able to rebound and do OK on 11.

get to shoot 16 this afternoon

Looking at the SuperSquad results to date (stages 6 to 14) so far it's TGO ahead of Mink by less than a point. Sevigny crashed at stages 9, 11 and 14, in those he's in 40, 49 and 37th place, respectively.

Seems Matthew is shooting a solid, consistent match being in the Top 3 in four of the first 9 stages.

GO MATT!!

B)

I'm sure that at the Nationals, the RO's are watching the stages with "un-loaded gun" starts for 11 round mistakes! ;)

It's any easy mistake to make, just very costly!

I was told by the CRO on my stage that one of my duties as the clipboard dude was to count the number of shots fired before a reload by Production and L10 shooters. Ours was not an empty gun start, but we still found 3 folks that started with more than 10+1 in the gun. One had 12, brain fade, loaded his barney round and had loaded 11 in his first mag. The other 2 were new shooters, one had 15 rounds (Glock 19), the other 17 (Glock 17).

Bruce

Chris

IF it is true, it does not seem unreasonable to me. Any modern day production gun is certainly capable! Accuracy is the foundation for all shooting! Now nerves, that's a different story!!

Chris

IF it is true, it does not seem unreasonable to me. Any modern day production gun is certainly capable! Accuracy is the foundation for all shooting! Now nerves, that's a different story!!

I didn't mean for it to sound like I was offended that accuracy is required in our sport. :D

I think accuracy is fine. It just seems that a 40 yard shot with stock fat front sight or the big FO sights most all would have in production seems a bit much. Of course, I think all the open guys should have to shoot from 25 to 50 yards on every target. :lol:

It's just my opinion. :ph34r:

Chris

Heard that Darrion Holliwell of CZ got bumped into Open for having 11 rounds in a mag after the start signal...

Heard that too... A production shooter to start with his/her barney round mag, a simple mental mistake that can ruin your whole match... Oh well.

Almost did that myself on stage 8... Caught it at the last minute.

One guy on our squad got moved to Open for having grip tape on the front of his slide.

Overall this is a farily difficult match for us production guys.

How's Ted Puente making out?

Ted is doing ok, but having trouble with trying to balance his speed and accuracy. I see him placing top 16...

Edited by Three Glock Mike

Can someone confirm if Rich started the match with the XD Subcompact or if he switched to it after starting with another gun?

Looks like a helluva match!

Rich will no doubt be by to explain hisself, but he showed up at our first stage sporting a XD subcompact After that and some troubles with it he switched to a full-size. Today he was having back problems and withdrew from the match, which was a bummer since he's a good shooter.

Can someone confirm if Rich started the match with the XD Subcompact or if he switched to it after starting with another gun?

Looks like a helluva match!

Rich will no doubt be by to explain hisself, but he showed up at our first stage sporting a XD subcompact After that and some troubles with it he switched to a full-size. Today he was having back problems and withdrew from the match, which was a bummer since he's a good shooter.

Bummer indeed! I hate seeing excellent shooters lose/bow out due to stuff like that :(

Updated results are posted. TGO, Bob Vogel , Dave Sevigny, Matt Mink, and Angus Hobdell in the top 5. Open is even closer, with Chris Tilley leading Max Jr. by .70. Tomorrow should be awesome. Cheers,

-br

Knowing that I wouldn't make it to the end of the match, I wanted to have some fun with the sub-compact. The gun was test fired to see if it would make minor with the load I use. I didn't test all the mags in the gun, the last time the mags were used was at last years Nationals with the 5" gun. There were no problems after I switched guns with the exception for one round that didn't have a full powder charge to fully cycle the slide.

I didn't finish the Limited Nationals either because of my back. I will have to go in for another spinal fusion in the near future.

Rich