• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here are the coordinates to the DTC range:

33°50'12.64"N

98°42'27.62"W

This will put you at the gate on Ranch Road 368 (about 1.2 miles north of Holliday, Texas, line of sight). If you have Google Earth the updated map shows the range quite clearly.

David C

Edited by geezer-lock

It was odd walking the range with basically no one there... ;) I arrived about 1:30pm, and was the only one on the range. No targets up, but the stages are set up, and stands are in place. This is going to be a high HF match - close in, fast fast fast stages. The "flow" is going to be important, as the shooting positions are somewhat crammed together - not a lot of room to get up to speed running, but lots of room for shoot on the move for those who are brave....

Unfortunately, my room at the Holiday Inn has no in-room internet, and the wireless doesn't want to work out there, so I have to come to the lobby to surf :( I fixed the 2nd phone line in the room, but apparently there's no Internet routed to that room, so.... no dice.... and no spare rooms to move me into.... grrr.... ;)

At least there's no giant 30.06 sign in the lobby of this hotel!!! :D

It was odd walking the range with basically no one there... ;) I arrived about 1:30pm, and was the only one on the range. No targets up, but the stages are set up, and stands are in place. This is going to be a high HF match - close in, fast fast fast stages. The "flow" is going to be important, as the shooting positions are somewhat crammed together - not a lot of room to get up to speed running, but lots of room for shoot on the move for those who are brave....

Unfortunately, my room at the Holiday Inn has no in-room internet, and the wireless doesn't want to work out there, so I have to come to the lobby to surf :( I fixed the 2nd phone line in the room, but apparently there's no Internet routed to that room, so.... no dice.... and no spare rooms to move me into.... grrr.... ;)

At least there's no giant 30.06 sign in the lobby of this hotel!!! :D

Dave,

How does the range look? Robert mentioned gravel on the road in and wood chips on the bays. What does the local forecast say for the weekend. Weather.com (Weather Channel) shows Fri-30%, Sat-50%, and Sun-30% chance. But they have been off before. I will come prepared for dust or mud... ;)

Craig

Man, its worthless looking at the weather. Robert and I just looked at it on accuweather.com - now showing no rain during the day, with possible showers overnight. No rain here today, at this point.

The gravel on the road is nice - shouldn't have any issues there. The wood chips are standing ready for use, but won't be laid down if they're not needed. They'll float away in heavy rain, so they'll primarily be used to improve footing in wet, muddy, slick areas that need it. Right now, its bone dry and dusty out there, so.... :D

Just left the range 20 mins ago. As XRe says, bone dry. Dry enough to soak up some rainfall hopefully before things get bad.

Was just starting to kind "spit" a little, almost a very light mist when I drove out the gate. We'll see. :unsure:

Well I checked the hourly forecast and they dropped Saturday back to 30 %. Looks like their wild ass guess prediction is the greatest chance of rain is Saturday morning between 9 and noon. And it is the 30%. Every other time is less than that so maybe it will just be enough to settle some dust and be done with it.

From Dave's report on lots of close targets, I will probably wish I had iron sights.

It is a fast match, as predicted. Lots and lots of fun... I'm worn the heck out :D We shot w/ five guys on the squad today, which was interesting. I shot w/ Dave S. and Manny, Dave Elderton, and Alan Tag. It was a fun group, and we basically just kept moving.... I kept up w/ Dave and Manny through the day, felt pretty good about that... Good stuff.

Another great DTC, Robert ;)

It was a really good match and I had a great time. Not too hot or cold, a little windy with the occasional sprinkle. Stages were good, well thought out, and a little of everything.

I managed to get out of there with no procedurals, mikes, or no-shoots! Overall until my last stage I was really happy with my performance, I hope it was good enough for a trophy.

Does anyone know if they will post scores from today at all anywhere or simply wait until Sunday for the final results before posting anywhere but there?

Edited by Bird_Dog0347

scores???

Its not over yet, just day 1. Some people shot all 12 stages in 1 day. The rest will shoot Sat/Sun. As a guess, I don't expect any scores to be posted on the web anywhere til after the macth - if we are lucky, late Sun night at earliest?

No rain! No major range malfunctions. Sorry, no scores. They were posting some incomplete scores when everyone was leaving the range.

Great match.

Got some video from the Friday shooters. Can anyone advise how to post them?

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Well, that was my first major match, and boy was it an eye-opener! Fast, fast stages, most shots on the move, and no pit longer than 20 yards. I've never really practiced shooting on the move, but I adapted fairly well for a completely unclassified shooter.

Compliments to my squad-mates (Squad 1) on Friday, and in particular the Los Cruces police team, who were incredibly friendly, polite, stand-up examples of what every law-enforcement officer should strive to be. That isn't to take anything away from the others on the squad, those guys just presented themselves so well I had to comment. One of them had a massive malfunction that rattled him less than my simple missed reload; they were humble, polite, helpful, respectful, everything that makes a man a man.

Also thanks to Billy, who was shooting Lim-10-minor on Friday, and then Production Sat-Sun, for keeping me stable and sane after I lost my mind on Stage 3. He's a deadly accurate shooter who lays down a perfect cadence, you have to watch the holes appear to figure out which target he's cruising through. He made me believe that minor Limited is a possibility that not enough people explore.

Further, we were putitively following the super squad, although they were usually off the next stage before we had time to get halfway through. Dave Sevigny, as everyone has already attested, is a ridiculously gracious champion. I didn't introduce myself, but was reloading my mags while he explained the basics of the sport to a couple of onlookers; I can't picture Tiger Woods taking time out during a tournament to explain lateral hazards to spectators while he waited on the tee. It was something that any of us could have done, and Dave seems to be just that, any of us. (except for the shooting.)

On the personal side, I've seen that the top isn't out of range; with a ton of effort and time, I think I might eventually shoot with the big boys. It's a great sport that allows every competitor to dream of reaching the pinnacle.

H.

(Matt Griffin)

Edited by Houngan

Thanks Matt,

You did very well for first major match. Dont orry about size and talent at the match...just follow theat sight for EVERY shot and it wont be longuntil you are passing along your knowledge. Thank you for the compliment for the LCPD Shooting team. this is our 3rd match. We are trying to improve skills as instructors and recruiting efforts. We are still in our ifancy stage but having lots, and lots of un. One great side we underestimated was the meeting and networking with all the wonerful people in this sport. Having a great time. Keep up the good work.

pat