Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Smm 3-gun Rules Have Been Revised

Yeah, I don't have the dimensions at hand but I am pretty sure the Whisper is too short.

-ld

The 300 Whisper is based on a 221 Fireball. Shorter than a .223 Remington. I believe the original intent was to keep a 220 grain bullet, subsonic.

Edited by Dan Sierpina

Everytime the Heavy metal discussion comes up we have to wade through the WW1 gear and more macho guns should be the tools of HM. Guys, step up and play! Shoot the division as/was defined and see what you think after. I have shot regular (pre-HM) 3 gun with a Garand and a '97 and stock 1911. So what. I am sure the competitors that SHOOT in this division are not there as side show freaks for your entertainment no matter what gear they choose to use. Come join us with whatever gear you have that fits the criteria and see first hand what challenges you will face overcoming ammo management, torque and recoil!

Patrick

power factors for 3 gun are BS! oops I might be in trouble again.

He-man(heavy metal) rules should be: .30 cal rifle/.45 or bigger pistol/and a PUMP shotgun.

Is there an advisory board for mystery mountain 3 gun or is someone pulling this out of the Anus??? Its sad that its my home club and I dont even know!

Good luck with making peace Larry.

Thanks! I may need the good wishes. :)

power factors for 3 gun are BS! oops I might be in trouble again.

He-man(heavy metal) rules should be: .30 cal rifle/.45 or bigger pistol/and a PUMP shotgun.

Is there an advisory board for mystery mountain 3 gun or is someone pulling this out of the Anus??? Its sad that its my home club and I dont even know!

I don't know about an advisory board but you can contact the match coordinators here.

-ld

Having shot He-Man with whimpy loads and all......I guess I would have to say, lets keep it He-Man (I no longer do the whimpy PF stuff......but gaming IS my nature).

I guess the thing that concerns me more is that there is a growing inconsistancy between the big 3 gun matches as far as equipment goes. I would have thought the opposite would have happened, personally

As it stands right now......for a guy to travel around and shoot He-Man at these matches.....he need to change his equipment out to be 'competative'......a single stack pistol with no bull barrel with 8 and 10 round mags, maybe a double stack and an array of magazines. A pump shotgun, a semi-auto.....note....some rules state start with 9 rounds, some state 9 round capacity. Even the rifle.....as far as the comp goes, one match allows these to be bigger than 1" dia.

Also, keep in mind...this is not limited to the He-man division alone for these matches

So whats the simple answer???? Vote? Talk amoungst the MD's? Maybe a new organization? Hmmmmm....wonder what direction the thread will take now :D

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Heavy Metal Rule Changes For SMM3G ...

I think the SMM3G rule makers might be trying to get HM pistols in line with USPSA's Single Stack Rules where you are allowed a single stack 1911 in .45 wih 8 round mags or a .40/10mm cal gun wih 8 round mags wih 165 PF. 9mm caliber guns are also allowed with 10 round mags but are not competitive given USPSA's scoring rules. Anyhow the changes struck me as being Single Stack "friendly."

As for the 7.62X51 or larger rifle cartridge requirement and "360" PF (USPSA major rifle PF is 320) I have a feeling that the rule makers are trying to address HM shooters who shoot 110 grain and perhaps lighter bullets on the short courses of fire to be able to go faster. A 110 bullet must go 3,272.72 FPS just to make the 360 PF and yu usually want a margin of safety, so let's say 3,350 or 3,400 FPS ... good luck doing that with a .308 (7.62X51) :-) You can achieve such 110 grain bullet velocties with a 30-06 with a 26 inch barrel ... The .300 WSSM Wildcat might also be able to acheive 3,400 FPS with a 110 Grain bullet because it holds more powder than a .308 case and it is supposed to be more efficient Fat and Short case design. Never the less, a longer barrel than normally used in HM would most likely be required.

I'm not sure that this post will be of any real value to anyone who shoots HM and will shoot SMM3G in 2007, but I hope it might add a little to some folks' understanding of the issues and prompts for the changes ... Ultimately I agree with Partick Kelly's post on this topic. Shut up and shoot .. :-)

Best to All,

Darrell Humphrey

"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when subsituted for insight and understanding." Marshall Mcluhan

My personal opinion, I think the powers that wanna be just shot themselfs in the foot with this rule change. If 40 is allowed and Glock 45's are not allowed, you wont see me or my brother shooting in HM class ever again. Not a good change if you ask me, but obviously you didn't. Good Luck with keeping this class alive.

Heavy Metal - He Man

Rifle - .308 or larger caliber - 20 rounds max. in the weapon. Iron sights

Shotgun - 12 ga. pump action - 9 rounds max. in the weapon (no box magazines)

Handgun - .44 or larger, 8 rounds max. in the magazine

Any brand of weapon may enter.

This way the weapons you use for heavy metal in the other matches can also be used here. Why would you want to change a good thing? Seems like HM is just getting a good start in most of the matches I have seen.

This is how it should be, we need to get the rules the same as other matches. Changing things makes divisions of an already very small group of shooters. How about getting together!

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Kelly an T3gun if you don't shoot the Heavy Metal it might go away but that could be a good thing. If no one shoots or they get enough complaints maybe they will change the rules back. Until then Iam unofficially changing the name to

HE BOY & MEDIUM METAL

• 3 weeks later...