Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading - Fail Gage Test .45acp

I'm starting to get ahead in the reloading arena. Now I have enough to go a few weeks without reloading the night before a match. I'm using a Dillon RL550B with dillon dies (just recently changed to a Lee sizing/decapping die) Using Lee die it seems less of the loaded rounds fail the gage test.

I check 100% using a dillon case gage. (or gauge if you spell that way)

The one's that don't make it go into a separate pile. So now I've accumulated about 2~300 rounds of this "GAGE FAIL" ammo. Some of it I plink with using a 645 smith. (apparently with a large chamber and wide range of acceptable ammo)

Some of the gage failures are that last 1/16 of an inch. Appears the head stamp end of the case is slightly too big.

MY Question:

Is there anything I can do with this ammo to "correct" the problem. I find it is about 1 round in 10 will not gage fully. Thought about running them through a single stage press and adding a little more taper crimp. What would happen if I case sized the loaded round after removing the decapping pin from the die?

Just generally looking over the failed ammo it appears the bullet seating may have been a little crooked. A slight bulge on one side is not uncommon.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dan

The crooked bullet problem is fixed with a Redding Competition seating die, it seats bullets dead straight and is worth every cent it costs.

Make sure your Lee sizer is down far enough. I run mine down with the ram fully raised until it touches the shellplate, then I lower the ram a bit and screw it down just a hair more. I want to feel the slack come out of the press, not go solid but just a tiny bit of resistance as the handle bottoms out. I have never had a case bulge on the headstamp end that prevents case gauging using this method and I use a standard Lee carbide sizing die in my 550B's for 45 acp too.

Make sure your Lee sizer is down far enough.

Yes, I do a similar trick. So I can feel the die press hard on teh shell plate as it breaks over.

The seating die is probably good advice. I'm currently using RN bullets and think that may be part of the problem. Just finished loading all the Lee 225gr LRN. Have a few H&G 34 left and will load them. Then Probably switch to a Truncated Cone style bullet. I think that may solve the crooked seating issue. It has a bit of a flat nose so tends to straighten as it meets the seating die.

So any suggestions on the rounds that I have that do not pass? What will happen if I try to run them through the sizer again? Will it undersize the bullet? In my mind they are already "broke" so I am willing to try a few things (safe) that may fix it.

That said, is it possible some of the cases are weak about 1/3 the way from the rim? That seems to be the out of tolerance portion. Once I shoot these in the S&W should I pick them up and try to reload or just leave them to the brass gods?

Thanks,

Dan

I have had .45 rounds that would not fully seat in the gauge due to extractor "scars" on the rim. I filed them down in my more anal moments but usually just threw them in the practice bag. I don't recall any failures in either of my single stacks.

Later,

Chuck

PS: They were sized with a Lee FCD so the case was OK.

Yes the gauge is gunked up but I clean it pretty regular. I have taken a dremel cut off wheel and made little cuts in the opposite end of the gage. I use that end to remove any bullet lube or lead shaving prior to droping in to the gage end. works pretty slick.

I think a few of my gage failures might be the extractor scars. I might look after them with a file in the frozen winter months.

Making Chili in the crock now. Woooo hooo gona be a fun weekend. Don't be hang'n out down wind Kyle.

Are you using a factory crimp die? That seems to help a lot with lead bullets. If you are using old (range pick ups) brass that could also be a part of the problem as it seems like the bases of the cases get beat up after a few loadings. All of my ammo that fails the case gauge gets run through the Glock for practice at the far side of the range and left in the weeds. My Springfield seems to have a tighter chamber and chokes on anything that doesn't pass the case gauge.

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure your Lee sizer is down far enough.

Yes, I do a similar trick. So I can feel the die press hard on teh shell plate as it breaks over.

The seating die is probably good advice. I'm currently using RN bullets and think that may be part of the problem. Just finished loading all the Lee 225gr LRN. Have a few H&G 34 left and will load them. Then Probably switch to a Truncated Cone style bullet. I think that may solve the crooked seating issue. It has a bit of a flat nose so tends to straighten as it meets the seating die.

So any suggestions on the rounds that I have that do not pass? What will happen if I try to run them through the sizer again? Will it undersize the bullet? In my mind they are already "broke" so I am willing to try a few things (safe) that may fix it.

That said, is it possible some of the cases are weak about 1/3 the way from the rim? That seems to be the out of tolerance portion. Once I shoot these in the S&W should I pick them up and try to reload or just leave them to the brass gods?

Thanks,

Dan

Hey Dan, just as a suggestion, if you want to use truncated bullets, use a FLAT seating stem. They'll seat straighter and the oals will be VERY consistent.

Bronson7

Using a round nose seater stem gives me much better results on round, or flat nose bullets.

I can live with a few thou. of length variation. Crooked bullets aren't acceptable.

Dont try to run your loaded rounds through the sizer die again. It will squeeze the bullets too much. The size ring on Lee's Factory Crimp die is oversize, and will work for this job.

Thanks,

Nothing wrong with the brass. Fix the bugs in your loading process.

Edited by wide45

I'm starting to get ahead in the reloading arena. Now I have enough to go a few weeks without reloading the night before a match. I'm using a Dillon RL550B with dillon dies (just recently changed to a Lee sizing/decapping die) Using Lee die it seems less of the loaded rounds fail the gage test.

The one's that don't make it go into a separate pile. So now I've accumulated about 2~300 rounds of this "GAGE FAIL" ammo. Some of it I plink with using a 645 smith. (apparently with a large chamber and wide range of acceptable ammo)

Some of the gage failures are that last 1/16 of an inch. Appears the head stamp end of the case is slightly too big.

MY Question:

Is there anything I can do with this ammo to "correct" the problem. I find it is about 1 round in 10 will not gage fully. Thought about running them through a single stage press and adding a little more taper crimp. What would happen if I case sized the loaded round after removing the decapping pin from the die?

Just generally looking over the failed ammo it appears the bullet seating may have been a little crooked. A slight bulge on one side is not uncommon.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dan

use them for practice and leave them lay. most ikely they will all work anyway.

Good luck

Oz

Dan,

If the only problems with the 45 ACP rounds size is the rim - I trim it with a smooth hand file. This has worked for me as I use 45 ACP brass until the case mouths split. Some of the cases go back to 1962.

MY Question:

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dan

Have you tried dropping them in the barrel?

I did some loading for the MI State IDPA match this weekend and tested every round in my dillion case gage. There are a few that wouldn't go all the way in the gage.

I took the barrel out of my gun and they dropped right in without any problem. Of course I left them at home but I think the case gage has much smaller tolerences than the actualy barrel.

I have heard many people talk about the "Glock Bulge" and I have never had range brass fail to feed in my HK. My guess is that these few rounds were shot from a Glock and just didn't resize all the way to the bottom.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

If you use your barrel to check rounds, assure that the chamber is true. To enhance reliability, some gunsmiths will trim a little bit of the chamber near the feed ramp making the chamber slightly oblong.

A slightly out of round shell may drop into the chamber but if turned 180 degrees may not.

Thats why I started using a check gauge rather than my barrel.

Bill

Try running them thru a Lee factory crimp die it may help if they are not to bad.

The Lee Factory crimp die is the best for 45 acp with lead bullets. I dont even gauge them and i havent had a malfunction in 25000 rounds...probably more, i just havent logged all the rounds fired.

FCD is the Shizzle.

;)

Harmon

• 6 years later...

Hi was needing a little help. I have had a dillon 550 in the past and loaded 9mm and 45 ACP. So got my new rl550b with every thing to load 9mm and 45 ACP last week. All went well with the set up and loading the 9mm ammo. So I decided to set up the 45 dies on another tool head and got dies set up but the problem I am running into is at the crimp die. By the way every thing bought is new, resize and decap goes good, the powder bell is around 012" larger than the sized case mouth just enough to get bullet to stay for seat, seating goes good. Now the crimp. Crimp to .472 little problem dropping in barrel so I adjusted to .470 to .469 and that is good. But when I lower platform back down it pops coming out of the crimp die and I am finding little slivers of brass. It's not digging into the bullet it's just that pop coming out of die that just doesn't seem right. Never noticed this when I loaded 45 ACP on my dillon 8 yrs ago. So I have stopped as I should because I think there is a problem. I have read in a few forms that dillon has sent people new crip dies because they might have been missed marked. Any suggestions