Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI recoil master

Guest bulm5

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I got both of mine today from Chuck @ Shooters Connection.

A couple observations: it's like a Sprinco, but the inner spring is much lighter with much more travel.

I'll put one in the blaster and crank off some rounds tomorrow.

Well it ran several hundred rounds of practice and a match without a hitch. Recoil reduction is about zero as far as I can tell. The gun still flips plenty.

I only noticed a difference when I was cranking out rounds at close targets with fast splits, .12 - .19. It just felt better, more comfortable, softer. My Bill Drills were appreciably better in score and much nicer in feel.

I used the "heavy" model Recoil Master. (It felt like an 11 or 12 # recoil spring.) Gun was a long/wide STI, lightened slab slide, bull barrel. Lube was Slide Glide #1. Ammo was moly lead 180 gr with Clays, jacketed 180 with Clays, jacketed 180 with N320, and a few factory Win. USA 165.

I just got the Recoil Master and my observations are similiar to Erik Warren's.  

I can't really "feal" any difference in muzzle flip but it seems like my groups have improved especially at short ranges.  I had a target yesterday that I had to engage 3 times for 6 shots at about 15 feet and I got about a three inch group in A-Zone.  (The other targets were pretty good too.)  Three of the holes were because my target acquisition was just on that day but the other three were pure non-aimed .16 splits double taps.  I'd love to take total credit for it but I think that the Recoil Master should get some of it.

Heavy Recoil Master

Gun: STI Edge 40SW

Lube: Slide Glide

Bullets: Montana Gold 180 grain FMJ

Powder: Tite Group

• 2 weeks later...

What Matt said.

I experimented with a friend’s recoil master in my Open gun, and I’d have to say that I’m not impressed. I get much tighter pairs and a better tracking dot using a conventional stainless rod, Wolf fixed-rate springs, and a "tuned" slide-stroke via shock buffs. And as far as reducing recoil, it does nothing different than a light spring will do for you. Even if it did offer an advantage, I would be hesitant to use it for fear of a blow-out (particularly on the aft portion, nearest the bbl lugs).

Infidel! How dare you suggest I can't buy my way to greatness?  I make Jihaad upon you!

Whoops! So you're the cat that hosts this site?  So sorry....I take it all back now.

Now where did that magic bean salesman run off to...?

(Edited by EricW at 9:06 pm on Aug. 1, 2002)

I got an STI Recoil Master and got rid of it within 4 day's.  Muzzle Flip was actually MORE with the Recoil Master.  Just my 2cents.  I much prefer the Springco system.  If you already have a springco, stick with it.  

I had a Springco and got rid of it inside of a week, didn't like the  "two stage" feel of the slide cycle. My Recoil Master doesn't have that same type of feel, but it doesn't cut muzzle flip at all either; however it DOES seem to make my second shots group better under extremely fast splits....

Compared to a stock guide rod neither the STI Recoil Master or the Springco is designed to actually LESSEN the muzzle flip or recoil, they are designed to alter the speed of the recoil impulse of the slide into more of a "variable curve", rather a straight linear feel. This should soften the actual impact of the slide into the frame (or shock buffs), while still allowing a spring force to reliably feed ammo and close the slide.

None of these gizmos are going to "eliminate" recoil (the holy grail!), but some things do seem to alter how we perceive it.... and if it helps in a quantifiable measurable way (which the STI product seems to), don't knock it. Each to his own - if the Springco makes you feel like you shoot better, use it. Like wise the Recoil Master. Or a stock guide rod. Or tungsten. Or..... you get the idea.  :)

It is interesting to point out that as Travis pointed out, a properly tuned "slide-stroke" accomplishes much of the same thing, using a lighter recoil spring and shock buffs as the "heavier" spring.....  and is probably less likely to break like the one Matt saw go down at the Texas Open.

(althought the STI rep there said that was the first broken production model  he had seen so far, and some other shooters have over 30 - 40 K rounds through theirs.... they are so confident in fact, that they currently don't even have replacement "main" recoil springs for sale, "they should last forever"...... it seems the spring loses @ 1/2 a coil after @ 5K rounds then never gets any shorter, or so they claim).

I'm gonna keep trying mine out, I like what I feel so far, but the verdict is still out ;)

Shooter40- that’s a good post. I kind of wish I hadn’t said anything, because if one perceives it to be an advantage, it will be regardless of reality. But my main concern was informing those who may be considering the recoil master, that it won’t be as bullet proof as a conventional rod. Just for kicks sometime, try out a 7lb variable Wolf (commander length!) with a 200 shock buff; it’s eerily similar to the "light" recoil master.

...that STI Gizmo Looks an awful lot like

What came standard on my Para 6.45

They're all modeled after the Seecamp 2 spring  design. Without regard to the effectiveness of any of the implementations, STI claims to have spend a good bit of R&D time refining and balance the spring rates and locations to best control slide acceleration and deceleration.

• 2 weeks later...

My RecoilMasters didn't come with any instructions. There are instructions and tips on the STI web site. They say not to use a standard recoil plug; use the supplied plug. I was using my standard plug for at least 1,000 rounds.

Mine came with instructions, I just wish they had included warranty replacement instructions too.

I bought 2, one heavy and one light, and have broken same.  The flange that holds the closing spring sheared off of both of them after a couple of thousand rounds.  One in practice, the other on the last stage of a match on Saturday.  Oddly enough, the gun will still (barely) cycle using only the close spring.

I called STI, and they said that the first 400 made were not heat treated correctly, so that they are brittle and prone to breaking.  They have corrected the problem, but will only replace existing one's if/when they break.

I really like the way they make the gun feel, so I am going to give  the replacements another try and see what happens.

I have a light one in my open gun and shot some video this weekend comparing it with a standars SS guiderod and 8#, 9# and 10# springs plus a cut 8# on the recoil reducer.  If I didn't say what was in the gun before shooting you would not know I made any changes.  With any of the above combinations the gun appears on video to recoil (muzzle lifp/flip) exactly the same, the muzzle lifts about 1" and settles right back where it was.  That said it did feel softer shooting with the Recoil Reducer.  All of the brass landed in the same spot with all of the above so it appears the slide speed did not change very much either.

Para frame, caspian slide, Dawson #2 cone comp, slide and comp lightened, TJ brass, 125's with 8.5 gns of 4756.

I video taped my STI 5" with the Recoil Master and with my usual STI Tungsten guide rod and plug. I also compared groups at 25 and 7 yards.

Bottomline - I'm keeping the tungsten and returning the Recoil Master - losing 15% restocking fee and shipping to Dawson in the process.

YMMV Just one guys experience

• 2 weeks later...

I had a misfeed that looked suspiciously like it may have been induced by the recoil system. But the magazine was suspect, too, so the jury is out. No other trouble or hitches with this gun at the RGN.

The big news I heard is STI mis-assembled a whole bunch of Recoil Masters. Like they used some 4.3 parts on the 5-inch system. Ask The Other Erik.

• 2 weeks later...

I broke my third recoilmaster at Area 8 last weekend.  The entire rod flew out of the gun, leaving only the 3 lb spring to cycle the gun.

For the record, I have now broken 2 of the original lot, (poorly heat treated), in 2 different guns.

The one that I just broke was from the new lot that supposedly was heat treated properly.

STI sent me another replacement that was assembled with the wrong parts.  WTF?

Even a slow learner like me is starting to detect a trend with this POS...