Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI recoil master

Guest bulm5

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got one - works well - it's two springs working together instead of a recoil spring and a huge spring to absorb the final travel of the slide.  The slide action is greatly improved.

I definitely recommend you get one - I think you'll like the felt recoil.

Skinner was showing these recoil rods off at Area 4, and several people there shooting them swore by them... supposedly much superior to the feel of  a Springco (which I did not care for). I think I'll try one.

:)

I don't even think I'll have one for the Factory nats. If I get one I won't have time to test it. (If it hasn't got 1,000 rounds through it it's not tested.) For the Limited nats, if STI can ship them by early August, I'll have one.

BTW my gun had the classic Sprinco/weak recoil spring jam into the feed ramp this weekend but it has a new recoil spring! I ordered some new magazine springs from Grams.

I talked to STI and they have them shipped out. Chuck is expecting them this week. I ordered one for the limited gun. He said they have 2 different models a heavy and light. I guess the heavy is for limited and the light for open. You have to order by Bull barrel or bushing set up.

well, I'll let you all go first. I just cannot comprehend how adding springs of different weights could help recoil control. If I could pick, I'd run my gun completely w/o recoil spring, but the darn thing just doesn't feed with anything less than a 9 lb....

--Detlef

Chriss, the light one is for both limited and open guns. The heavy one is for a self-defense or tactical gun.

I hope I can fit one in my open gun. George cuts the slide back about 1/2" on his open guns, back past the barrel bushing slot. Ed, the engineer at STI, tells me the RecoilMaster needs full stroke to function properly though George thinks it will work okay. In any case, I'm going to need a new reverse plug.

Quote: from kbear38S on 12:34 pm on June 25, 2002

"George cuts the slide back about 1/2" on his open guns, back past the barrel bushing slot. ......  In any case, I'm going to need a new reverse plug.

Hey kbear, if you use a normal length reverse plug, it can stick out past the end of the shortened slide and give you "full length" recoil spring length... I'm assuming that you have a comp rather than Hybrid only, and the plug wouldn't look "funny" sticking out the 1/4 inch or so.

I'm with Detlef on this one at the moment.  You guys do the testing and maybe I'll try one.  For the moment, I think I will stay with what I have (that works) and save my $85.  If the Sprinco causes some reliability problems, why won't the recoil master?

STI Recoil Master

RecoilMaster.jpg

Sprinco:

sprdillon.gif

Hey kbear, if you use a normal length reverse plug, it can stick out past the end of the shortened slide and give you "full length" recoil spring length...

I have to mess with it again but I'm pretty sure it won't clear the comp. I talked to George about taking some off the bottom of the comp but there's not much metal before you get into the back port. Soon as I get around to it, I'll order one and see what I can do with it.

Hey guys,

Todd asked me to test his Open gun with this setup installed. The only real observation that I could share with you, is that it’s definitely unlike shooting the Springco. The Springco has an almost secondary lift pulse in the dot track. This one was way more linear - probably because the rear spring is so light (it was something like 4lbs IIRC. The Springco is like 25 lbs!). You could punch TJ’s gun forward and the slide would open and close on it’s own. Have I bought one? No. Would I use one if they gave it to me? If it were reliable, yes. As far as a Ltd gun shoots with it, I have no clue. That's it from me...

Aha! So TT is saying that using the STI RM is *almost* like shooting without recoil spring! That could be interesting, though it even more raises the reliabilty question.

I still think recoil reducers are like perpetuum mobiles (*energy generating machines*): There's got to be a snag somewhere, but sometimes it's *very* hard to find....

--D.

"Recoil Master" is marketing. It's just a dual-spring recoil system, with a lighter spring and a heavier spring. It's going to make the gun feel different and you can decide for yourself whether that feeling is "recoil reduction."

I could whip the gun forward and move the slide against the lighter spring, but I don't think I even got it to the heavier spring, let alone got it to fully cycle that way.

I wonder if Para will let Todd use an STI part in his gun. :) (No, I really wonder how many parts in his gun are Para.)

Maybe I'm wrong about that. When I was trying to mooch a pre-production RecoilMaster off of Skinner, he told me if I was on the Gold Team I'd have one. Apparently a leap to conclusion on my part. Sorry.

So here I am not on the Gold Team and not having a Recoil Master...